aberdeen-music

drunken playing

paime

I normally have 1 pint of beer before I play as it seems to give me a sense of confidence and have played some good shows after one drink as it gets rid of any nerves.

I don't agree with people getting drunk before they play because it just ruins your set and doesn't do your band any justice.

I agree with keilan's earlier post.....I need 2 pints to relax me' date=' otherwise I'm a nervous wreck. If I have much more I arse things up. Mind you, the worst I've played was after 9 large cups of coffee....I was too hyper to get my looping pedal to work![/quote']

:up: Timing has a lot to do with it aswell, if you're playing second, and haven't been sitting around the venue all day waiting to soundcheck and knocking them back, you have a quite drink or two during the first band, see the crowd get slightly more attentitive towards the end of their set (I'm sure its written down somewhere that you MUST ignore the first band for at least 3/4 of their set) and get in the mood. When things start running late, or you end up getting asked to go on last instead...its game over!!

9 cups of coffee...as that may be the equivalent of 3 cans of red bull....should at least help your vocals in my experience! :D if I'm not drinking, but have plenty of cash, i'll always knock back a red bull or 5 before going on.

I think, in the name of science.

A band should play there first song sober, then after every song down a pint. Well actually no.

Each band member takes something different, say the singer downs a pint, bassist takes a hit of grass, guitarist a shot of jackd and the drummer gets red bull.

Think of the fun!!

Ive too much time on my hands...

I think theres a happy medium between getting very drunk and walking into pillars and having just enough to get rid of some of the inhibitions which can make you a better performer. I've gotten in trouble before for imposing a 2 drink maximum on some people I work with before certain gigs (not that anyone actually listens to me but i think a couple of drinks is about right to combat nerves but not be pissed or affect performance).

Cheers

Stuart

I won't play nowadays without drinking at least one, sometimes two pints, just enough to loosen off the arm/leg muscles and shake the nerves to enable optimum blasting. Worst example was playing a gig after five pints of the black stuff, not recommended at all.........

Drinking definately can improve my playing. Just a couple of pints can loosen me up a lot more, and ideas come through that i don't even have time to think about, but just play them; and it works. It really needs to be the right amount of booze though, just a wee bit too much can fuck everything up. As keilan said, there is a perfect balance. It's a lot harder keeping that balance in the moorings when you have a discount. . .

Guest DustyDeviada
Drinking definately can improve my playing. Just a couple of pints can loosen me up a lot more' date=' and ideas come through that i don't even have time to think about, but just play them; and it works. It really needs to be the right amount of booze though, just a wee bit too much can fuck everything up. As keilan said, there is a perfect balance. It's a lot harder keeping that balance in the moorings when you have a discount. . .[/quote']

Yep, I try to keep it to two pints before playing.

Probably why I'm never bothered about headlining, I'd rather go on early so I can get pissed afterwards.