aberdeen-music

your favourite band

Guest Savant

Guest Savant

Whats your favourite band? What do you like about them that makes them so great?

Mine's probably Strung Out. Or Thrice. I like the way they have songs that affect you that are also heavy. They also have bags of melody and intelligent lyrics.

Thrice, despite having alot of screamed vocals dont come across as...well, low-brow music - they still have class/intelligence, and the subject of their lyrics isn't just love/death etc.

So what's yours? And more importantly, why?

I'm interested.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My all time favorite band is either Sick of it all or Tool. Though I go through phases of not listening to them for months on end. Both of these bands I have been into for roughly the same time (about 5 years or so) and I never get bored of them.

However I also have current favorites, bands that I am listening to a lot at the moment. Currently these are

Pelican, I just got their first self-titled EP

Paint It Black, Recently got the Paradise 12'' and its magic

Nothing Done, really good simple old school hardcore.

Discordance Axis - all time fav, purely because the speed is so precise and the whole attack is just fucking relelntless. Castration Rite sums it all up.

Pig Destroyer - just fucking genius. in every possible way.

right now some favs are:

Yob - just cant get enough of their EP

Noxagt - cos the stripped down combo added with the violin just......works. really fucking well.

Dropdead - cos I've never heard a band with that much fucking conviction.

Guest Savant
Strung Out as well.

i LOVE so many bands but none quite affect me in the way Strung Out have and had such an effect on my life.

Notice how Ben uses the words 'affect' and 'effect' correctly, people! ;)

Yeah but WHY?! That's what I'm trying to get at....

Because he's wrote so many songs that not only have great melodies but also tell stories that I find emotionally resonant. Also, there are recurring characters and stories and people that I kinda care about. It's almost like "Here's the latest update on so and so..."

It's fucking cool.

Guest Savant
Because he's wrote so many songs that not only have great melodies but also tell stories that I find emotionally resonant. Also' date=' there are recurring characters and stories and people that I kinda care about. It's almost like "Here's the latest update on so and so..."

It's fucking cool.[/quote']

:up:

Guest bluesxman

I find it difficult to single out one band as my favourite, but I suppose if pushed it would be Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds. For the consistent high standard of the lyrics and musical arrangements. They can veer between the melancholy and a joyous racket with ease. They suffer from the same reputation for solemnity as The Smiths but share a similar vein of dark lyrical humour. Got into them around the time of Henry's Dream, they just seem to improve with age and even if Nocturama seemed a bit lazy and a by-numbers effort it still pissed over most other bands. And then they returned with not one but two albums of high quality material, in fact some of their best, with Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus.

1) The Devin Townsend Band

Love these guys because the music is damn powerful and epic. Along with the usual OTT production (sometimes up to 100 vocals layers) it is music that would go well with a hollywood film.

2) Strapping Young Lad- Heavy but and varied. The last album "Alien" hits home. With waltzs, blastbeats, ambient sections and even childrens choirs, this music is crazy.

3) Ulver- Totally underrated electronic/metal/avant garde band from Norway.

Worthy mention- Tom Waits- amazing songwriter and lyricist. Yeah, he gets plenty attention for the coffee drinking, arty farty, look at me type people but brush that aside and we have an clever guy with one hell of a low voice hehe.

Jamiroquai.

Their first three albums I found really inspirational, and it was what made me get really serious about my bass playing. I decided that I was going to learn the entire Travelling Without Moving album note for note, and once I finished that, I moved onto the others!!! Regardless of what people think, there is some amazing musicianship on those albums. Also usually once I've learned a piece of music, the pleasure of listening to it diminishes for me, but I can still listen to Jamiroquai. I went off them during the Funk Oddessy and Synkronised era, but their last album was a blinder! Also opened me up to so much more music like disco and soul, and ignited my love for acid jazz.

Probably my second fave would have to be Metallica. They just give me a buzz everytime I put them on!

Thrice for basically the same reasons Craig Quik gave. Every album is different, and every one is amazing. A lot of bands whose lyrics are on themes like Dustin's tend to lack any emotional impact, his don't, through delivery as well as content.

And Vheissu has EVERYTHING.

Alkaline Trio because I love their lyrics, and the simplicity of their music. No matter what mood I'm in Alkaline Trio is right for it. I also love Matt Skiba's voice.

Both have had an ENORMOUS influence on me.

I find it difficult to single out one band as my favourite' date=' but I suppose if pushed it would be Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds. For the consistent high standard of the lyrics and musical arrangements. They can veer between the melancholy and a joyous racket with ease. They suffer from the same reputation for solemnity as The Smiths but share a similar vein of dark lyrical humour. Got into them around the time of Henry's Dream, they just seem to improve with age and even if Nocturama seemed a bit lazy and a by-numbers effort it still pissed over most other bands. And then they returned with not one but two albums of high quality material, in fact some of their best, with Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus.[/quote']

Nick would come second in my all time Top 10 ever - probably just beating My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead and Spiritualized.

My favourite all time band ever, though, is......

221_con_sy2.jpg

Sonic Youth

As for "why" - i just fucking love noise.

Eek, tough question, it's either The Beatles(they opened me up to lots of other music etc) or King Crimson(the original 1969 line-up)!

I'll go for the original King Crimson who recorded just one studio album, In the Court of the Crimson King.

king-crimson.jpg

Why?

That band was so potent with ideas and inspiration, and the album has so much to offer within it's 5 tracks, heavy jazz rock, beautiful melodies, sublime mellotron - symphonic soundscapes, free form improvisation... I just fucking LOVE it! :love:

King_Crimson_PIc_1969_2.jpg

What I also love about them is the fact that it was so fleeting, the band only lasted for one year and released only one album, but yet changed music and influenced many people ever after.

The live CD's released from 1997 onwards (Epitaph, Live at The Marquee, Live at Hyde Park & Live at the fillmore) always inspire, make me happy etc when I listen to them, I only wish I was around then to have seen them!

They changed my life, no doubt about it! :up:

For me, it has to be Spacemen 3. Favourite ever band, album (The Perfect Prescription) and song (Walkin' With Jesus). They just talk to me like no other band do, and changed the way I see myself and the world around me. Steeped in musical heritage, and yet also became seminal/influential themselves.