aberdeen-music

Will the smoking ban affect the aberdeen music scene?

RescueParty

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there'll be less phlem ridden' date=' throaty singers in bands.[/quote']

Good point although not all would be sining with the voice of an angel e.g. The Method's lead singer doesn't smoke but has a throaty rasp of a singing voice...

I think there will be a negative effect initially at least (including the angellic poofy singing effect)...but hopefully it's recover as will everyone's lungs

The music scene has always attracted the smokey types so it'll be weird in "clean" venues...or maybe there will be an explosion of buskers across the city streets

I don't think it'll affect it much at all. Most bands play 30-45 mins, and then there's 10-15 minutes in between, plenty of time for a sly one.

People going in and out of venues may be a problem but I expect the venues will have some form of system, hand stamping etc, for dealing with that.

I'm waiting to see what happens as regards sound engineers, we don't take official breaks, but I'm buggered if I'm doing a seven hour shift without a smoke when the bar staff get regular breaks.

I think it'll mean more people will dance. Cool people always smoke but never dance. The ban could change things.

It'll also mean we can wear nicer clothes safe in the knowledge that people won't attack them with a sweaty Marlboro. All Aberdeen music fans will smell nice too.

if you go past Holburn Roundabout then there's a huge billboard - directly opposite the Holburn Bar - that advertises the impending smoking ban. Someone has written on it comparing the Health Board (or whoever) to Nazi's.

That's right - the ban on smoking in a pub is comparable to the annexing of Poland, invading half of fucking Europe and gassing 6 million Jews.

Twats.

The sales of Persil & Bold will drop dramatically as an effect, because we'll no longer have to put ALL the gear we've been wearing and the sheets (unless you shower at 2am) into the washer the next day to get rid of the disgusting bastards reek :down:

I'd advocate hanging for smoking in public places :up:

C**ts :swearing:

if you go past Holburn Roundabout then there's a huge billboard - directly opposite the Holburn Bar - that advertises the impending smoking ban. Someone has written on it comparing the Health Board (or whoever) to Nazi's.

That's right - the ban on smoking in a pub is comparable to the annexing of Poland' date=' invading half of fucking Europe and gassing 6 million Jews.

Twats.[/quote']

Amen to that.

But... Due to the interesting positioning of the external fag bins beside the entrances to pubs we now go 'into' a pub smelling of smoke...

I have a pal that lives in Ireland says that it is perfectly normal behaviour and no one gives not smoking in a public place second thought these days.

I for one am very happy...

:up:

The only problem will be that the smoke has disguised the smell of punters up until now.

Therefore the sales of deoderant spray will go up and we will all die of a big hole in the sky instead of death by smoker. Hmmmmmm where will the madness end? I'm staying in forever or at least not go to a crusty gig.

It's not very Rock n Roll to play a set and 'just pop out for a wee fag'.

It's not very rock and roll to have fag breaks in the middle of sets either. I've been thinking about the cigarette ban and my overall thoughts is its a good thing but it would majorly suck if your audience slowly dwindled away to go for a fag. THAT would suck