aberdeen-music

mp3 player advice

Noir

I don't know all the various options around but my Sony HD-5 is

perfect as far as I'm concerned... :up:

I'd agree with the sony thing.

They're cheaper and can store like 13,000 songs on a 20GB with no loss of quality. tho the higher compression does improve the sound.

Take a look at the HD5 or the A3000 both are pretty good

just make sure you're ready to hate the software. everyone else seems to. . .

yet i dont mind it to much

DO NOT BUY A SONY

I bought one just before Xmas, A3000, by mid january I hated the fucking thing so much that I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for an Ipod. I cannot tell you strongly enough what a pile of shit that MP3 player is, and the software that goes along with it is enough to make any man kill himself. It's full of glitches and errors, and when you buy it they advise you to go nline and download patches to make it work! Um, sorry, but if I've just spent 200 on an MP3 player I'd expect it to work. They were on the news in January and Sony pretty much admitted they didn't work and they didn't know why.

Get the 30gb colour Ipod, that's a brilliant machine.

Elwood

DO NOT BUY A SONY

I bought one just before Xmas' date=' A3000, by mid january I hated the fucking thing so much that I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for an Ipod. I cannot tell you strongly enough what a pile of shit that MP3 player is, and the software that goes along with it is enough to make any man kill himself. It's full of glitches and errors, and when you buy it they advise you to go nline and download patches to make it work! Um, sorry, but if I've just spent 200 on an MP3 player I'd expect it to work. They were on the news in January and Sony pretty much admitted they didn't work and they didn't know why.

Get the 30gb colour Ipod, that's a brilliant machine.

Elwood[/quote']

I've never had any problems with the HD-5. I've had 3 iPods in the past 2 years - all of which screwed up!

I don't find the SonicStage software all that bad. Granted, iTunes is spot on, but the SonicStage doesn't give me any problems. It's not caused any glitches or errors or anything for me before...

Just bad experiences in each company's case for us eh Elwood? :down:

I think it's cos the iPod loses possible song memory to games' date=' calenders and all the other garbage they have on them...[/quote']

its cause sony converts to attrac. this can compress files down to 48k's. Compared to the standerd of 128k. I think Apple convert to AAC which is still 128.

also ive had several mp3 players. But id recomend the sonys, my whole family use them. Yes the software is a pain but easy to work eventually.

just think bout the storage. If you want to spend in excess of 200 go ipod or something. . . but if you want to spend far less, buy the sony and get double the songs :)

Tho one thing, id defo buy new headphones, regardless which mp3 you get.:)

Guest DustyDeviada

I'm delighted with my 30GB iPod, it's the first MP3 player I've owned, but it's easy to use and sounds great. I've also got the Sony SonicStage software for my MiniDisc, and iTunes is easier to use. Also, if you do convert your music to Atrac you will have to recode it if you ever move to a different type of player, stick to MP3

You can set itunes to decode at whatever setting you want. And the video feature is great, I watch films on the train all the time.

You can get them for £189 now: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98996

Got a sony NWA3000 yesterday and the software works fine. No problems whatsoever and I hugely prefer it to an iPod.

Give it two weeks till the freezing and crashing starts, and it disconnects itself halfway through updating, completely erasing everything you've saved on it. Then, when you try to put it all on again, the software refuses to start because it's got a corrupt file in it because it was halfway through transferring a song when it crashed. THEN when you follow the advice on Sony's help webpage, it causes your player to say "system error 32" every two minutes and switch itself off. And then finally just to top it all off, everytime you connect it to your computer, it works for about 10 seconds, then windows says it has malfunctioned and you can't do anything with it!

Happy listening!

Why do MP3 players have this reputation for breaking? No one has ever told me of one that hasn't gone wrong in some way or another. Would people say it is worth waiting a few more years before getting one, when someone decides that having space for 30Gb of songs, but a battery life of 14 hours, is a bit rubbish, and they should intead concentrate on making them more dureable?

For the money, £200 region, i'd want something that lasted several years no problem. My MiniDisk player is 5 years old, and has never had a problem, and I only changed from a tape Walkman becasue my new stereo didn't have a tape deck.

I'm not not a technophobe, or crap like that, just you hear of so many people where they just stop working, and shit.

Why do MP3 players have this reputation for breaking? No one has ever told me of one that hasn't gone wrong in some way or another. Would people say it is worth waiting a few more years before getting one' date=' when someone decides that having space for 30Gb of songs, but a battery life of 14 hours, is a bit rubbish, and they should intead concentrate on making them more dureable?

For the money, 200 region, i'd want something that lasted several years no problem. My MiniDisk player is 5 years old, and has never had a problem, and I only changed from a tape Walkman becasue my new stereo didn't have a tape deck.

I'm not not a technophobe, or crap like that, just you hear of so many people where they just stop working, and shit.[/quote']

my 1st walkman broke after like 3 days. . the screen exploded. . .

but after that the replacemnet has last now onto the 3rd year.

so like if you treat them with a little care they should hold up. . . .

(now ive said that my walkmans gonna break soon. . . . . . . )

Yeah, but you'll dro it eventually.

My MiniDisk and Tape player Walkmen have both been dropped a fw times over the course of their lives, but work fine still. Would the same be true of your aveage MP3? I dunno?

Also, why do you get people (you knowm thsoe Apple Nerds) bangin on about how good i-pods look? I mean, it's in your pocket most of the time.

If the battery lasted as long as my MiniDisk player does, I'd consider it, but if I'm on a 15 hour bus trip, I want more than 14 hours of battery life.

Like Craig B said.

I don't understand why MP3 players always seems to break. I mean, come on, there are no moving parts. What is there to go wrong? I am on my third minidisc player, bot only because I upgraded from MD to NetMD to HiMD.

My first minidisc player, a Sony, is about 7 years old, and still works perfectly. The battery needs to be held in with some tape, and I've had to replace the headphones obviously, but the thing has had some abuse in its life and survived. It was thrown about in schoolbags and dropped on hard ground many times. The thing is full of tiny fragile delicate moving parts, yet to this day it has never failed.

For the forseeable future I would rather have a HiMD player than any MP3 player. I don't care what anyone says. The discs are 1Gb, which is nothing compared to an average iPod, but care, I have 30 albums on it, 200Mb of files on it, and it still has a good bit of space left on the one disc. The sound quality is indistinguishable from my mates iPod with the same tracks converted and uploaded from the same MP3 files.

My minidisc player also has a removable rechargeable battery, and it can take regular AA's too. In your face every iPod owner who has ever had battery trouble.

However.

Software. wtf.

When will the manufacturers realise that nobody cares about anything other than moving files from their computer onto their portable music player of choice. All the software I have seen/used is simply awful. iTunes, SonicStage, whatever. Why can't they just allow you to drag and drop MP3 files onto the player akin to using a USB flash drive or something similar? Why force the users to use terrible, bloated, slow, buggy, terrible software? I use SonicStage for my minidisc player out of necessity and can live with it, but it could be so much simpler and streamlined without losing any functionality that anyone actually uses/cares about.

(I don't know what the deal is with Creative Zens. Are they just as bad?)

Anyway, I still can't understand why MP3 players always break. The components they use must fucking suck.