aberdeen-music

am i allowed to be thrown out of a bar in the middle of the day

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if i am completely sober, and trying to purchase a soft drink...under the grounds that I don't have a form of ID? By the way, I'm 20 years old. I'm quite sure this is allowed, but I may be wrong. This incident has pissed me off.

Even though I stayed in the pub.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't the management have the right to refuse entry to anyone they like?

Besides that though licenses don't operate on what you're drinking (for the most part, there are some exceptions around restaurants). If you're under 18 you're not allowed in the vicinity of the bar. So basically they were allowed to chuck you out.

Incidentally where was this?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I won't name the bar, because it would be silly. I just wondered, because I was pretty sure that anybody over 16, or even 14 was allowed to be inside a bar that served food, especially if they were in the presence of adults (15 odd adults who were also for the most part younger than me).

It's not like I even tried to buy an alcoholic drink! What dismayed me more was that the bar lady seemed shocked that I wouldn't have ID, and gave me an "aye right" look when asking where I kept my student ID, assuming that she had busted me big time. Newsflash - not every person between the ages of 18-22 goes to university...it's quite normal for someone of my age to occupy their life with something other than uni.

and yeah you're right, they ultimately can throw me out without a reason. but why would they? I was sober, causing no trouble, being perfectly polite and civil to bar staff and trying to order a non-alcoholic beverage...

fuck knows why they would do it.

you can be in a pub if it serves food and you're over 14, but not in the bar area. And if you're over 16 you're allowed to have a pint of beer, a glass of wine or some cider with your food (basically anything below spirit strength).

and yeah you're right' date=' they ultimately can throw me out without a reason. but why would they? I was sober, causing no trouble, being perfectly polite and civil to bar staff and trying to order a non-alcoholic beverage...[/quote']

Okay, one situation. They might've had trouble with underagers recently, so management has decided to make sure that everyone in the bar is over 18 regardless of what they're drinking. It all goes down to a "what if" situation - if they get raided, and someone turns out to be in the bar underage and against licence terms, they'd get it from the licencing board and all the rest of it. Soft drinks/etc don't come into it, any form of service or admittance to under 18's could get them into the shit.

Also, you have to consider that they're not really losing anything from throwing you out, except possible future trade, but to their eyes, there wouldn't be future trade as you can't prove you're over 18 anyway.

Now, what pisses me off is when places have a "challenge 21" policy to ID anyone that looks under that age. Cool by me, but not when idiotic sales assistants think that means not selling to anyone under 21. Spars are notorious for this :down:

sure' date=' it's just that like i said in my first post, i didn't think it was illegal for an under 18 to be in a bar in the middle of the day[/quote']

If they say "fuck off", you have to, otherwise you're breaking the law by simply being on licenced premises after being refused entry. Might not be illegal for them to have you on the premises, but what they say goes, ultimately.

They might not want to set a precedent of serving soft drinks to under 18's too, seeing as that could get them unwanted attention.

Guest neil ex

Now' date=' what pisses me off is when places have a "challenge 21" policy to ID anyone that looks under that age. Cool by me, but not when idiotic sales assistants think that means not selling to anyone under 21. Spars are notorious for this :down:[/quote']

Well I do the same because kids hang outside the shop I work in. Also my manager has told me not to serve alcohol to under 21s. I guess that makes me an idiotic sales assistant then. Cheers.

I always thought that the 21 thing was to deter people from buying drinks for people under 18? I wouldn't say they were idotic cloud, as at the end of the day they are just doing as they have been told to do. I'm sure in whatever job you do if you were told to dance in a pink tutu and sing the theme from hong kong phooey you would as you want to keep the job that pays you money.

As for the bar in question it wouldn't happen to be Triple Kirks as i noticed tonight that the door staff seemed to be iding alot of people, and have seen the bar staff iding people in the past as well.

Well I do the same because kids hang outside the shop I work in. Also my manager has told me not to serve alcohol to under 21s. I guess that makes me an idiotic sales assistant then. Cheers.

Yes, but you've actually been told not to sell drink to under 21's. Different story, no?

And no, the problem is that they haven't been told not to serve drink to under 21's, but rather to just ID them to make sure they're old enough. Being ID'ed means nothing, I look about 12 and don't mind in the slightest, but to be told "you're not old enough" when their own sign blatantly says that you might be ID'ed if you look under 21 and not to take offence if you're old enough is ridiculous.

Not sure why they do the under 21 thing, I think it's more to make sure that they don't assume someone that looks 18/19 is actually old enough. I know from experience that staff can be afraid to ID people, so it makes sense to have such a policy to make sure that they do get checked.

if the licence says they don't permit under 18's then regardless of whether your buying a pint of lemonade or an absinthe, you must have id to back up your age, its not to do with what your buying but being on the premises in the first place.

Big deal you got id'ed, you want avoid it, carry a recognised form of id, whether you use it or not, fuck i was stopped at the door more times when i was 22 than when i was under 18. You cant rely on the fact that you are 18+ when going into bars as when it comes down to it, if your age is questioned and you cant prove it to the guy/girl behind the bar, saying that your 20 holds about as much weight as saying your 102.

Not having a go, i just dont see the promblem with carrying one of the free and highly recognised forms of ID.

this matters not a shit' date=' its only cider you can drink, and you cannot be in a bar which serves food regardless, unless the pub has a children's license. have you ever worked in a bar?[/quote']

Your totally wrong on it only being cider. I work on the bar in a hotel with a nice restaurant, so I'm not blowing thiss out my ass.

Also, this my back what I'm saying..

"The only exception is that 16 and 17 year-olds may drink beer, wine or cider with a table meal in relevant premises, where accompanied by an adult aged 18 years or over"

http://www.culture.gov.uk/alcohol_and_entertainment/licensing_act_2003/children.htm

Guest tv tanned

I recall my fiancee being refused entry into Archibald Simpson's one evening after we had been to the cinema.

She only had her student ID on her (which showed that she was 24) and yet the bouncers still turned her away.

Guest five years
have you ever worked in a bar?

yes, if someone looks under 21, ID them. simple.

where i worked was very much a student bar so people knew occasionally on a night out they'd be ID'd and always produced it no bother, albeit with sometimes a red face.