aberdeen-music

Bus strike

Hog

The bus service in aberdeen is an endless headache for me. To get from union street to dyce tonight took me 1 hour and 25 mins. This is complete bullshit. With a few honourable exceptions (affable ponytail italian driver, mullet driver, old 'tash driver), the drivers are moody rude bastards who go out their way to piss off as many people as they can. The busses are never on time to dyce, and you hardly ever get an apology out of them. I have no sympathy for them at all.

They deserve less pay for being the bane of my life.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bus drivers do tend to be dicks who don't understand the principle of 'the customer is always right'. i've never met a friendly' date=' pleasant or polite bus driver and they all treat their job like they're doing you a favor. i don't know any other industry where employees could get away treating customers like bus drivers do. i flagged down a stagecoach bus last sunday because there were no first buses running, and when i handed over a fiver in order to get change, the bus driver looked at me and asked me if that was what my fare was supposed to look like and then told me he 'shouldn't have stopped this fucking bus for you' even though he had a full drawer of change in front of me. if you were to talk to someone like that whilst working in a shop or a restaurant, you'd be sacked immediately. so no, i don't think they deserve a pay increase. although i do think a lot of the problems with First is that there is no direct competition to encourage them to operate more efficiantly as a company.[/quote']

Its a problem with every service company, the customer will only ever remember their bad experiences and they tend to share those with everyone, if you get on a bus and the driver just does his job its not memorable and you dont go telling everyone "hey I got on a bus today, paid my fare and sat down" do you?

I worked in the motor trade for 25 years and have been on more Customer care courses than you could shake a stick at and trust me, customers are not always right, they just think they are.

i have absolutely no idea how much bus drivers get paid' date=' but i can't imagine it's very much and, as many bus drivers appear to be 30+, possibly with families etc and it is afterall christmas (the most expensive time of the year for many people), why shouldn't they want more money? i bet YOU would like to be paid more from your job.[/quote']

Everyone in the world would like to be paid more. But wanting more doesn't instantly justify going on strike, surely?

According to the recruitment posters they have plastered all over the buses, drivers get 20,000 basic, and plenty opportunity for overtime. And they just got a 5% pay rise. Hardly breadline.

Why did they just go straight to a strike before anyone even knew they were unhappy? From what I gather there was very little negotiating going on beforehand. Seemed to me like they just went straight to the blackmail tactic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Everyone in the world would like to be paid more. But wanting more doesn't instantly justify going on strike' date=' surely?

According to the recruitment posters they have plastered all over the buses, drivers get 20,000 basic, and plenty opportunity for overtime. And they just got a 5% pay rise. Hardly breadline.

Why did they just go straight to a strike before anyone even knew they were unhappy? From what I gather there was very little negotiating going on beforehand. Seemed to me like they just went straight to the blackmail tactic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.[/quote']

I think those posters are misleading, make that, I've been told they are.

Yeah i think the 20k a year stuff is if you have been driving a bus for like 400 years and stuf...but i think the basic rate still isnt that bad.

Basically, all they wanted was for their pensions to recieve/match the 5% increase in pay. I think there were also some issues about holidays etc.

Everyone in the world would like to be paid more. But wanting more doesn't instantly justify going on strike' date=' surely?

Why did they just go straight to a strike before anyone even knew they were unhappy? From what I gather there was very little negotiating going on beforehand. Seemed to me like they just went straight to the blackmail tactic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.[/quote']

OK you're wrong.....

I think the poster reads "earn up to 20.000" ..... Correct me if i'm wrong....:popcorn:

upto £25000 a year is when you are a senior driver for new drivers or 'Trainees' you can expect just over £5 an hour which im told after 8 weeks goes upto just over £6 an hour...........

Trainee bus drivers still drive normal buses with normal passengers just they have no experience ....yet they still drive the same as senior drivers just they have experience...sorry for swearing but arse about tit springs to mind.....

Btw these figures were obtained by a friend who was a bus driver for 1 year but that was 2 years ago.......

Basically' date=' all they wanted was for their pensions to recieve/match the 5% increase in pay. I think there were also some issues about holidays etc.[/quote']

And the fact that a lot of the drivers are on protected pensions from the days of GRT has been cunningly overlooked.

No, they accepted some lesser deal by a majority vote of union members, basically they've compromised.

Nothing wrong with a bit of compromise if everyone is happy, right?

wouldn't go that far. it isn't.

longest you'll wait for a bus at a reasonable time of day (between say 8am and 6pm) on most routes generally IS within the "every ten minutes" or whatever. obviously there are fuck ups and you have to occasionally wait longer' date=' so what? if you're in that much of a hurry to be somewhere, leave earlier. [/quote']

Right you come and stand for the 23 bus at 9:20am, 11am, 12:30pm or 1:30pm in sheddocksley when two have just gone down the road at the same time, or stand at the terminus in Mastrick at 5pm during the week or 10am at weekends, when you generally have to wait 20 mins to see two to three buses turn up at the same time, with one still missing.

First in Aberdeen have a monoply, they don't run buses out of the city and bluebird only run the 52 (i think it is) in town. At least they are not as bad as in Glasgow where drivers are shoved on a route with no help on their first day.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
'the customer is always right'.

The customer is always right, even if they're a whinging, snivelling cretin without the slightest regard or consideration for anyone else on the entire planet but their miserable fucking selves.

That post is for anyone who has ever suffered the misery of retail employment.

anyone know how to walk?

aberdeen really isn't THAT big-a-city to walk about anyway. aberdeen uni to union street is what? a 20-25 mins max' date=' rgu garthdee to union street a bit more...or even...cycle?[/quote']

Aye i'll look forward to my 8 mile walk into town this weekend then :p

Nah being able to drive is great :D

First in Aberdeen have a monoply' date=' they don't run buses out of the city and bluebird only run the 52 (i think it is) in town. At least they are not as bad as in Glasgow where drivers are shoved on a route with no help on their first day.[/quote']

For the last time : NO THEY DO NOT.

Stagecoach (with some exceptions at peak times) will pick up and set down at any bus stop within the city that forms part of their route - and will usually be cheaper than the First fare. For buses to Cove, Portlethen, Bridge of Don, Kingswells, Culter, and anywhere along those routes, you have a choice - therefore, it's not a monopoly.

People forget that buses are subject to traffic conditions - if there's a nasty snarl up on their route, they can't divert because of their public service obligations. Don't blame the drivers for things that are usually outwith their control.

Most bus drivers get the job done, that's all that matters, right?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
The bus service in aberdeen is an endless headache for me. To get from union street to dyce tonight took me 1 hour and 25 mins. This is complete bullshit. With a few honourable exceptions (affable ponytail italian driver' date=' mullet driver, old 'tash driver), the drivers are moody rude bastards who go out their way to piss off as many people as they can. The busses are never on time to dyce, and you hardly ever get an apology out of them. I have no sympathy for them at all.

They deserve less pay for being the bane of my life.[/quote']

Mullet (his name is Lindsay) is a nice guy by all accounts whenever I have travelled with him. And I have experienced first hand the appalling service from Dyce to Aberdeen. Thank fucking christ I will never have to rely on this service again in my entire life. Waits of up to 45 minutes for buses that run "every 15 minutes", coupled with the ridiculous running time meant that It could easily take me 1 and a half to 2 hours to get into town from the point of actually leaving my house. Awful. I have so much contempt for this service.