aberdeen-music

Scum

jonty84

Did anyone see Alan Clarke's 'Scum' on Channel 4 last night? I don't think I've ever been so gobsmacked by a film in my life. Honestly, there's controversial and shocking films out there but this takes some beating, it really does.

Anyone see it last night or has seen it before have any opinions on it and/or it's message?

Mike

Yeah there were some good points raised by it and some cracker lines too; at first I quite liked Ray Winstone's character, especially when he got revenge on the 'Daddy' by kicking fuck out of the vicious bastard in the toilets, and cracking Phil Daniels over the head with snooker balls in a sock (revenge for 'Parklife' 20 years early). But so seldom is there a film that has absolutely no optimism whatsoever. Even at the conclusion of the film there tends to be something to lift the viewer's spirits; in this case, nothing, just dismissal and empty prayer for the suicide victim. But I guess this is the idea the film seeks to convey; in Borstal around this time, there was no hope for the majority.

Really made me think, horrifying to watch but I'm sure like so many others, I couldn't take my eyes off it for a second.

Mike

It was ok. Though predictable' date=' made a point about the prison system Thatcher era.[/quote']

Apart from the fact that the film was released at the very start of the Thatcher era, well before she had a chance to look at the system?

Anyway, it's a fucking powerful film, as Tony Marlin said, the snooker balls in the sock moment is just ridiculously brutal - but so is the whole film really.

Yeh, its a really disturbing feeling the whole film conveys. You can really imagine how horrendous it must have been to be a young, scared and emotional kid locked away with those abusive and unfeeling wardens, not to mention the other inmates. The bit with the guy who gets raped , and then commits suicide, thats probably one of the single most affecting moments in any film i've seen, the way he is soo clearly at his wits end, and the warden doesn't care at all, just makes you want to appear and magically remove him. Some of the best acting i've seen from people so young. And the great line where the nurse/matron tells the black guy about a death in his family (she thinks its his dog as the name is "candy") and when she asks him we find out its his wife. Great stuff, but very dark, and yeh, no happy endings. Its pretty depressing, but vital viewing.

God I feel ancient. I saw it when it first came out - I must have been about 15 or 16 and it was an absolute must-see with about 30 folk crowded into someone's mum's living room to watch it on video. I was very traumatised by it at the time and its shock effect hasn't lessened with time. It's the whole premise of breaking someone's spirit to such an extent that got me.

Christ. That's such an awful scene, especially whenever you actually think the warden's gonna go into the greenhouse and stop the atrocity, and all he does is stand and smirk, before going in and seeing the kid writing on the ground in agony, crying his eyes out, totally broken, and telling him 'Come on son, on your feet, this isn't Kew Gardens'. That warden must be one of the sickest, most twisted characters on film, and I was really hoping somebody would kill him before it was over just to give the film some sort of closure.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

"Scum" is probably the best film I've ever seen. I must have watched it at least 70-80 times over the years, and I still can't watch the snooker ball clout without saying "Oocha-fuck!", brutal as fuck.There's a different version of the film, made by the BBC in 1977. Dialogue toned down, and there were some extra themes, such as Carlin having a "missus", a younger boy who kept his cell tidy and did errands for him, that kind of thing. Non-sexual, though.

Incidentally, John Judd, the guy who played Mr. Sands, was in a Fairy liquid ad in the 1980's. You just saw him say "Let us know if you need a hand, son" then put the newspaper over his face before going back to sleep. Priceless.

Best line from "Scum"? Probably "And wipe that fucking grin off your face before I knock it off"

Seen the film many a time. It's been credited with inspiring a reform to the Borstal system, so some good has come out of it. The brutal style is perfect for what they're trying to do. I like the fact that there's no music whatsoever: utter starkness.

Chockfull of good lines:

"Back, grass!"

"Where's your tool?" "What tool?" (Carling whacks bloke with a metal pipe). "THIS FUCKING TOOL!"

"A fully fledged humanitarian, with a BA in Hatred".

"I'm finding myself... strongly drawn towards Mecca, sir-" "MECCA, ARCHER?!"

"Banks you bastard! I'm the daddy now! Next time I'll fucking kill you!"

Guest DustyDeviada
"Scum" is probably the best film I've ever seen. I must have watched it at least 70-80 times over the years' date=' and I still can't watch the snooker ball clout without saying "Oocha-fuck!", brutal as fuck.There's a different version of the film, made by the BBC in 1977. Dialogue toned down, and there were some extra themes, such as Carlin having a "missus", a younger boy who kept his cell tidy and did errands for him, that kind of thing. Non-sexual, though.[/quote']

I always thought the Mrs was sexual but they just didn't show any of it. Haven't seen it for years right enough. You can get it on DVD now, I think it was only shown on telly once as part of a "banned" season.