aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument here seems to be that the poorly attended Charlottefield gig was as good as anything else within the field' date=' but just how many bands within the field have found success?

The thing I really don't understand here is whether success is even wanted.[/quote']

every bands wants some degree of success even if it's just a full crowd. success is completely subjective, you set your goals and try and acheive them. if you're talking about commercial success then there are literally hundreds of bands who make a living from playing the kind of music that was on offer that night and surely that's the only commercial success any band can aim for. fugazi and at the drive in have sold hundreds of thousands of copies of their albums while retaining credibility and their musical ideals. plenty of so called 'unaccessible' bands acheive commercial success too like dillinger escape plan.

it'd be interesting to compare the success rate with the amount of bands playing the style of music on offer by arkade and the amount of bands playing pop punk. i think it'd be alot closer than you'd imagine given the sheer amount of shit pop punk bands out there.

Is any genre limited' date=' really?[/quote']

as alex said, yes that's why it's a genre. as soon as you restrict yourself to one style of music you've limited your musical possibilities. if experimental is a genre then by it's definition it's more open than most but you're still restricting yourself by saying you'll only make 'experimental' music and pop or folk or whatever.

How many people like at the drive-in because it's "cool" to do so' date=' though? I know at least 8-10 people who "like" them, yet none of them know fuck all about the genre behind it.[/quote']

you don't need to know about the genre behind a band to like a band. that's bullshit.

Mr TwoBackJoe' date='

Have you spoken to Sharon or Maxi in the last 15 hours or so.

I had a meeting with them yesterday about a couple of things. Wanted to speak to you in person but you were raising the titanic or something.

Will speak to you later.

Cheers Big Ears

Rossco[/quote']

They don't tell me anything and have in fact started thier own little 'clique' within a 'clique' and bully me! I'll email you now after I go back and laugh at some posts.

CAN I POINT EVERYONE IN THE DIRECTION OF THE SENTENCE ALONG SIDE OUR FORUM TITLE PLEASE. This I would hope should say it all and again we are not actually complaining about hunners of people nae coming to the gigs we put on. We do consider the size of the venue for the bands we put on. Hence Macrocosmica at Drummonds. This should be attended by many! Me no be there though (cries a little but not too much as he is playing on a boat on the Clyde that night) :D:love:

surely pop punk is a limited genre but experimental music is an UNlimited genre :)
I assume by that you mean it isn't a genre at all?
as i said earlier there's no reason why the hundreds of people in this city who claim to like bands like at the drive-in wouldn't have enjoyed the charlottefield gig.

You can't surely be suggesting that just because somebody likes one band that they have to like another band who are apparently similar?

Eeerm' date=' I do listen to the links provided online by Arkade you know, I'd be there like a shot if there was something that I loved the sound of. But the point I'm making is about the quality argument - isn't it just subjective as hell?

Dictionary.com says :

1. Superiority of kind: an intellect of unquestioned quality.

2. Degree or grade of excellence: yard goods of low quality.

The argument here seems to be that the poorly attended Charlottefield gig was as good as anything else within the field, but just how many bands within the field have found success?

The thing I really don't understand here is whether success is even wanted.

Is any genre limited, really?

How many people like at the drive-in because it's "cool" to do so, though? I know at least 8-10 people who "like" them, yet none of them know fuck all about the genre behind it.[/quote']the "success" is in getting out there and playign gigs around the world. this is obviosuly helped when people atend their gigs.

unfortunately, people like our "aberdeen music-lovers" won't attend the gig, because in their eyes these bands are not "successful".

Can I ask you? as an obvious ousider to you're way of thinking of course. Do you seriously thin there's a button that is pressed and the band just ebcomes successful?? Surely, they becoime that by ahving peple attend their gigs. How does this happen?? PEOPLE LIKE ARKADE PUTTING ON THESE BANDS AND A CROWD COMING TOS EE THEM!!!

It's really really simple!

He didnt say they have to like them' date=' but hes pretty sure alot of them WOULD have liked them, but they didnt bother to check it out.[/quote']

He said there is "no reason" why they wouldn't like them, which means they would like them. I just don't think it's a safe assumption to make.

• 2 weeks later...
The number of times people say "I've never heard them" and you know if they had they'd like them and probably go and see them.

So:

1. Does the radio station on this site have the capability of doing a magazine/preview type show?

2. Can Northsound be persuaded to do such a show (I think I already know the answer to that one)?

3. Are there any other options for an internet radio type thing? (You'll have spotted I'm not up on the technicalities of these things).

Things have changed. www.northsound1.com