aberdeen-music

AFC Thread (not for non football lovers)

Mr.Tim

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Dons have signed McFarlane from Hearts. I don't know if the guys any good because I've never seen him play but why are we signing rejects from clubs we're trying to compete with?

He is good. And he's big and strong in the air. He's a worthy addition to the squad. Before you critisice the guy too much, please remember he was competing for a starting place against the likes of Pressley, Webster, Skacel, Hartley, Pospisil and Jankauskas. You can't blame him for thinking "I'm never going to get a game here" and looking for a fresh challenge.

If he turns out to be shite I'll get stuck into him as much as anyone, but at least give the guy a chance to prove himself. I said the same about Griffin and he's revolutionised the way we play, will free up Seve to get back in the middle when he comes back (hopefully against Killie) and has added some real grit to our team. I, like many others, thought he'd be a definite disaster, coming cap in hand to the Dons and with his long list of injuries. But so far (okay only three games, but he has improved us so much) he has impressed. Give McFarlene a chance to impress before getting on his back :up:

Add to this new signing the news that Jamie Winter has gone out on loan to St. Johnstone makes it a pleasing day all round in the world of AFC.

I heard from my Cooncil mole that Jimmy wants to sign an English striker from one of the lower league clubs. He was also looking at a kid from Tottenham reserves. Between his trips to the pub.................

Hopefully abody can get behind the team on Saturday and we can pick up a crucial three points.

I wasn't critisising him at all. Like I said, I don't know of him and have never seen him play. I'm willing to give anyone a chance but like what many other people have been saying on other boards, why sign another defensive midfielder? I said the same when Celtic signed Keane and played him alongside Lennon. Even if Griffin plays centre half is he really going to play Severin and McFarlane in the middle together? Calderwood said he'd only buy players that are better than what we have so I guess we'll just have to trust his judgement.

I feel we would be better off with a left sided attacking midfielder, with Smith on the right and Severin and Nicholson in the middle.

I wasn't critisising him at all. Like I said' date=' I don't know of him and have never seen him play. I'm willing to give anyone a chance but like what many other people have been saying on other boards, why sign another defensive midfielder? I said the same when Celtic signed Keane and played him alongside Lennon. Even if Griffin plays centre half is he really going to play Severin and McFarlane in the middle together? Calderwood said he'd only buy players that are better than what we have so I guess we'll just have to trust his judgement.

I feel we would be better off with a left sided attacking midfielder, with Smith on the right and Severin and Nicholson in the middle.[/quote']

Fair enough - But calling someone a "reject" is criticism in my book!

I totally agree we need a left sided attacking midfielder and Smith would be far more effective on the right.

However, there is the issue of having depth in the squad and the signing of McFarlene basically answers all our prayers and means Jimmy won't be forced into playing muppets like Dempsey or Foster in need of cover. Also, if we revert to a three at the back system of Anderson, Byrne and McNaughton and let Griffin sit in just in front, that would then allow Severin and Nicholson to sit in the middle and let Clark go on the right of midfield and Smith on the left with Mackie and Crwaford up front. A 3 - 1 -4 - 2 formation - playing to our strengths. get Clarkie up the park and run at folk. Let Smith come inside and turn defenders inside out. Keep it on the deck and allow Seve and Barry to provide through balls to the strikers. Let Mackie run at folk and Crawford hold up the ball.

Can't solve problems overnight, but we need to play to our strengths. We are not sitting well in the league and need to maximise our team's strengths to ensure a top 6 place.

Fair enough - But calling someone a "reject" is criticism in my book!

I totally agree we need a left sided attacking midfielder and Smith would be far more effective on the right.

However' date=' there is the issue of having depth in the squad and the signing of McFarlene basically answers all our prayers and means Jimmy won't be forced into playing muppets like Dempsey or Foster in need of cover. Also, if we revert to a three at the back system of Anderson, Byrne and McNaughton and let Griffin sit in just in front, that would then allow Severin and Nicholson to sit in the middle and let Clark go on the right of midfield and Smith on the left with Mackie and Crwaford up front. A 3 - 1 -4 - 2 formation - playing to our strengths. get Clarkie up the park and run at folk. Let Smith come inside and turn defenders inside out. Keep it on the deck and allow Seve and Barry to provide through balls to the strikers. Let Mackie run at folk and Crawford hold up the ball.

Can't solve problems overnight, but we need to play to our strengths. We are not sitting well in the league and need to maximise our team's strengths to ensure a top 6 place.[/quote']

It's not critisism. It's a fact. Hearts told him he had no future, which makes him a reject.

Calderwood said himself that he wasn't going to sign players just to add to the squad. Fair do's though, he can only be better than Dempsey & Foster. I think Clark is better in the middle, he always gives 100% but I don't think he's good enough to merit a regular place in the team when everyone is fit.

If we went with a back 3 I would prefer to see Anderson, Griffin and for the time being, McNaughton with perhaps McFarlane, if he is as good as the Hearts fans say he is, playing the holding role. Severin an Nicholson playing in front of him but with Severin more withdrawn, allowing Nicholson to support Crawford and Mackie. Byrne looks good going forward so I would try him out on the left of midfield, with Smith on the right.

Looks like we might be getting Hammel from Motherwell too. A replacement for McNaughton perhaps?

now' date=' now.

behave.[/quote']

Not a joke. Doncaster will have a larger wage budget, as well as a higher turnover. They prob don't have a 9million odd debt either. A lot of their players are of a much higher standard as well, take Michael McIndoe as an example, brilliant player :love:

Europe here I come!! I'm starting to save up for Caley's Intertoto run in the late summer. I just hope we don't end up with a team from Khazikstan, that would be pish.

Plenty of French and Italian teams though, i'd take a nice wee trip over there to watch my beloved caley in the scorching sun

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Europe here I come!! I'm starting to save up for Caley's Intertoto run in the late summer. I just hope we don't end up with a team from Khazikstan' date=' that would be pish.

Plenty of French and Italian teams though, i'd take a nice wee trip over there to watch my beloved caley in the scorching sun[/quote']

You guys going the Intertoto route? Why not, eh? The more games, the more programmes to collect. ICT's 1st European game would be a wise investment........

You guys going the Intertoto route? Why not' date=' eh? The more games, the more programmes to collect. ICT's 1st European game would be a wise investment........[/quote']

By the looks of things we are the only Scottish team going for it, and the deadline is next week. All we have to achieve then is to come in the top 8 of the SPL, and we're guaranteed entry to the Intertoto Cup.

Its a much simplified approach this year, where there are less games, and not played at a ridiculous time in the summer. So it won't be to damaging for our preseason.

Plus, the option of playing in Europe could be the incentive for some of our players to stay at Caley for another season at least. Guys like Mark Brown, Ian Black, and Craig Dargo are being watched at every game by scouts, so we'll have a job on our hands to keep ahold of them.

Its a much simplified approach this year' date=' where there are less games, and not played at a ridiculous time in the summer. So it won't be to damaging for our preseason.[/quote']

How is it working again? My mind is telling me that all the winners in Round 3 qualify into the 2nd qualification round in the UEFA cup, but I've got a feeling that's wrong..

Not a joke. Doncaster will have a larger wage budget' date=' as well as a higher turnover. They prob don't have a 9million odd debt either. A lot of their players are of a much higher standard as well, take Michael McIndoe as an example, brilliant player :love:[/quote']

Gretna probably have a larger wage budget than Aberdeen. Does that make them a bigger club?

Guest neil ex
Yes' date=' me and a friend are going with our boss. Should be a laugh.[/quote']

Nice one.. See you in the pub beforehand!

I'm sure Aberdeen are going to win today.. They've looked a much better side in recent weeks with the addition of Griffen. Mcnaughten's looking really comfortable now in defence, and with Seve back it should give the team a great lift.. Crawford and Mackie are starting to get a bit of a lift, and the fans are getting behind Crawford.. 2-1 Aberdeen!