aberdeen-music

AFC Thread (not for non football lovers)

Mr.Tim

heikenen was the only key plyer we lost over th e summer

That enrages me more than anything ever!

Philip McGuire was one of the most outstanding 100 per centers to play for us in years. Along with Anderson he turned Aberdeen into a rock solid, versatile unit. Then Jimmy decided he didn't like him and "he would never play for Aberdeen again."

He never wanted to leave the club, and refused to leave for another SPL outfit. He was "all Aiberdeen."

A more key player we couldn't have lost. We miss him already - we wouldn't be suffering an "injury crisis" (2 defenders and a striker out injured) if he was still here.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you get when you have Seve at the back is: he easily takes a ball off the oppposition forward when they are on the attack' date=' then he plays it early OVER THE TOP of the defence, not down their throats. Actually, that might be better for away matches when the opposition defence is on the half-way line. Remember Michel Platini said that defence is the first line of attack, and when Severin plays at sweeper his defensive and attacking potential is akin to that of Franz Beckenbauer

Your point about Mackie struggling against big defenders on high balls applies to crosses as well. Severin is about the only player capable of winning a header. Is he meant to spray the ball out wide and then get on the cross?

As you say, all of our midfielders are capable of passing incisively, and Jamie Winer certainly has a shot on him, so we won't miss those aspects of Seve's play in midfield. What we would miss is his tackling, but hopefully Winter will improve his own

I can't help but feel if Heikkenen, McGuire and Whelan were added to the current squad, it would be the perfect squad. But that was impossible, I guess[/quote']

I hear what you're syaing about Seve being at the back, but I still feel he is most effective in the middle of the park. I just think that we have enough defensive cover to allow him to be the tenacious tackling creative midfielder he can be. He is a leader and he leads very well from the centre of the park. Considine should be filling at the back to allow him to develop exactly like Zander was allowed to.

"when Severin plays at sweeper his defensive and attacking potential is akin to that of Franz Beckenbauer" - You should have been a poet, dude! Good skills.

I'm nae a big fan of Winter and feel he's a bit lightweight, but let's hope he gets his shit together and improves. His one goal on Tuesday doesn't make him a great striker of the ball - he's had about 30 shots since signing for the Dons and most would have been better suited to the rugby field...........

This season -

Whelan would have excelled getting some decent service - McGuire could have played anywhere in defence or slot in at midfield - Heikkey could have sat in behind Seve - You're right, we would have had the best team in years! never mind, the boss knows best so we soldier on.

Get it right up Falkirk the morn!

Good chat, min. :up:

Guest tv tanned

Philip McGuire was one of the most outstanding 100 per centers to play for us in years. Along with Anderson he turned Aberdeen into a rock solid' date=' versatile unit. Then Jimmy decided he didn't like him and "he would never play for Aberdeen again."

He never wanted to leave the club, and refused to leave for another SPL outfit. He was "all Aiberdeen."

A more key player we couldn't have lost. We miss him already - we wouldn't be suffering an "injury crisis" (2 defenders and a striker out injured) if he was still here.[/quote']

I feel I must disagree.

When McGuire first broke into the first team, there was a great deal of hype around he and Kev McNaughton as the 'great white hopes' of AFC.

McGuire did look good, but let's face it Marsh I would look like a classy centre half if I had Perry and Solberg alongside me as a comparison.

McGuire was far too prone to hideous lapses of concentration at crucial stages of matches. I recall he and McAllister having a set-to right in front of me when McGuire had been marking thin air and left Jamie with two men. Also when he made a horrific pass back attempt against Dundee United, which resulted in them scoring a winner.

Pele and he obviously did not see eye to eye, but equally his performances were no better under Jimmy C in my opinion.

I respect that he gave 100% and loved the club, but at the end of the day he was never going to get a game as a first choice defender and was better off the wage bill as he was among our highest earners.

I feel I must disagree.

When McGuire first broke into the first team' date=' there was a great deal of hype around he and Kev McNaughton as the 'great white hopes' of AFC.

McGuire did look good, but let's face it Marsh I would look like a classy centre half if I had Perry and Solberg alongside me as a comparison.

McGuire was far too prone to hideous lapses of concentration at crucial stages of matches. I recall he and McAllister having a set-to right in front of me when McGuire had been marking thin air and left Jamie with two men. Also when he made a horrific pass back attempt against Dundee United, which resulted in them scoring a winner.

Pele and he obviously did not see eye to eye, but equally his performances were no better under Jimmy C in my opinion.

I respect that he gave 100% and loved the club, but at the end of the day he was never going to get a game as a first choice defender and was better off the wage bill as he was among our highest earners.[/quote']

I recall him binning all defenders in the league, getting up the park when no -one else would, holding the ball up well, playing sensible balls on the deck and being versatile enough to play in a number of positions. He made a couple of mistakes, like you recall. I recall Zander Diamond making three clangers. This season. We've played four league games. Ken fit I mean?

And that's shite comparing him to those donkeys - McGuire was a class above them and most of the other defenders that have came and went in his time. They didn't make him look good. Never.

His performances were no better under Jimmy C? Aye, when he got a game, that is. The manager did a terrible thing and publicly criticised him and said he had no future for fucks sake! Could you blame him? He still played him when he needed cover last season! He did to him what he's doing to Craig and previously to Morrison and It's no way to treat players or the fans by basically saying "You're no good for this team and I don't want you." What are we, the fans, supposed to think when these players actually go out on the park? "Oh, there's that shite player that the manager doesnae like - wait a minute, if he's no use for Aberdeen why is he playing? We must be desperate if he's getting a game beacause the boss thinks he's shite - we're never going to win this game."

McGuire was never going to get a game as a first choice defender as the manager didn't like him. Same went for Morrison. He never even got a chance under Jimmy C even though we were screaming out for a left sided wing - back / midfielder. It's the "other" side of Jimmy C that folk seem oblivious to. It's a fact that you have no chance in his team if he doesn't you. That's why we are currently trading under the "Aberdeen Athletic" banner - He likes having players he knows he'll like personally in the team. No bad thing, as most of these guys are good players - Nicholson in particular is a star and Dempsey looks to be a good passer with good vision. Langfield did okay on Tuesday. The Jury's still out on Byrne but I hope he comes good.

Every time Stewart or Foster come on the field ask yourself are they are better for the team than McGuire? The answer every time is no.

We'll miss him. We're missing him already.

Guest tv tanned

Scott Morrison?!? I don't think I was watching the same player as you Marsh.

Nae pace, nae tackling ability, nae positional sense, complete lack of defensive attributes, the only thing he could do was cross a ball, frankly not a great resume for a left back.

And I recall that Morrison struck the first blow by making a very public, very outspoken criticism of the manager, and Jimmy refused to retaliate in kind, instead disciplining him.

Sorry mate, but I just do not agree that McGuire and Morrison were somehow the players who were going to help catapult us into the next tier.

At no point this season has anyone I have spoken too turned round and said 'fuck aye, if only Phil McGuire was playing, we'd have won', he was far more guilty than Zander of shocking concentration lapses.

I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.

I've heard rumours that the reason McGuire didnt play wasnt because of a problem with JC, but with another player...which is absolutley pathetic if its true. Dont think JC had any problems with Phil, on the contary, remember this time last year he was constantly praising McGuire's versatility and even when he announced he wouldnt be playing next season for AFC, still referred to him as a great professional, something Calderwood would never say to the likes of Craig and Morrison.

Jimmy definatley does have his favourites, who would need to do something horrific to be dropped, as well as people who will just never get a game no matter what they do. However, in my opinion, hes still the best thing to happen to this club in ages, and matters such as that can be easily overlooked due to the progress we've made under his management.

Also, whoever is saying we should play Seve in defence is MAD, hes the best midfielder at this club, and one of the best in Scotland. He completley dominates that position when hes played there, and I would say his lukewarm start to the season is purely down to having to play in defence in the opening games of the season.

And he's light years better than Stewart and Foster. They make McAllister look the business.

Haha, that's true.

Even i'm better than John Stewart (and i'm horrific).

Richie Byrne is my new Dons comedy player though. My favourite moment during the Berwick game was when he had no-one within 30 yards of him and did his customary 'pass' it straight out of the park. LEGEND.

:D

As Ron Burgundy would say 'It's a deep burn, so deep'

Apparently the rumors about mcguire were that he had massive gambling debts and the club were fed up bailing him out. You never know what to believe these days.

The Dons have also been linked with Noel Whelan coming back up. Apparently he hasn't settled in Boston and wants to come back up north. If he's fit, he could do a decent job probably.

Guest tv tanned
Apparently the rumors about mcguire were that he had massive gambling debts and the club were fed up bailing him out...

The Dons have also been linked with Noel Whelan coming back up.

There's something about those two statements, and I just can't quite put my finger on it...

Apparently the rumors about mcguire were that he had massive gambling debts and the club were fed up bailing him out. You never know what to believe these days.

The Dons have also been linked with Noel Whelan coming back up. Apparently he hasn't settled in Boston and wants to come back up north. If he's fit' date=' he could do a decent job probably.[/quote']

he would do alot better job if he partnerd lovell rather than last season setting up mackie, he has a good work rate and he'd be good to have back, as for these rumours about mquire ive heard a few diferent rumours about the reaon he left

Philip McGuire was one of the most outstanding 100 per centers to play for us in years. Along with Anderson he turned Aberdeen into a rock solid' date=' versatile unit. Then Jimmy decided he didn't like him and "he would never play for Aberdeen again."

A more key player we couldn't have lost. We miss him already - we wouldn't be suffering an "injury crisis" (2 defenders and a striker out injured) if he was still here.[/quote']

mcguire wasnt "all aberdeen" hes a massive celtic fan, im sure if kilmarnock or hearts offered him what doncaster offered him he'd still be in scotland, he turned down the chance to play uefa cup football in norway, and also turned down moves to australia and the usa to play in the english league 2.

i cant add much more to what tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

I have never been so irritated as when the guy behind me spent the whole second half bemoaning the game as a disgrace, and booing every time we passed the ball backward.

I mean for fucks sake, if I had said before the game we would win 3-0, folk would have taken it, especially in light of the performance Falkirk gave at Parkhead a couple of weeks ago.

I admit it was a flat performance in the second half, but frankly, I'll take three points, three beautiful goals and a clean sheet, and worry about the overall performance second.

you are joking' date=' i was at the match, it was the most boring match i have ever seen, we were the better side but [b']falkirk were more entertaining. the goals were class, but their was no fighting spirit or pace in the game.

I hope you are referring to their laughably pathetic attempt at putting up a competitive performance. If not, then consult your local physician

I hope you are referring to their laughably pathetic attempt at putting up a competitive performance. If not' date=' then consult your local physician[/quote']

no , im talking about their passing and movement. they never really botherd aberdeen, but we should have been sharper than them.

3-0 is a good score, and we we deserved to win but if we want to be a topp 4 team we nead to play alot better.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i hope crawford does well and im sure calderwood will get the best out of him.

He doesn't have Craig Brewster laying them on a plate for him anymore. Crawford's gone backwards since he left the DA. Some clubs suit some players better than others, time will tell if he's made the right move. I don't think he has, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

He doesn't have Craig Brewster laying them on a plate for him anymore. Crawford's gone backwards since he left the DA. Some clubs suit some players better than others' date=' time will tell if he's made the right move. I don't think he has, but I would say that, wouldn't I?[/quote']

Would you have taken him back to Dunfermline Jake, even without Brewster or do you reckon hes passed it?

I think crawford is going to do well...It's his final chance as an SPL player to do so.

He's a Scottish international striker, not the best one, but never-the-less a decent enough striker who should bang in at least 10-15 this season, plus when Mackie comes back it will be good competition for the strikers.