aberdeen-music

Films you just dont understand

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

I'm surprised people struggled to follow Vanilla Sky. It explains everything very clearly...

people are all different when it comes to understanding things, some people over-analyse, and struggle to follow, and some just let a film play to their eye and dont take it in..

pfft. i dont know.. :p

Eternal Sunshine had me a bit baffled first time round but after that it made perfect sense. Anything with time travel confuses me, I get all caught up in paradoxes and my head starts to hurt, i still don't understand the end of Donnie Darko properly...was the plane the time machine?

I also have a truely awful film called Kill Me Tomorrow, looks like it was made by a bunch of friends just having a laugh but somehow it got produced and released on DVD and I have no clue what it's about.

i dont understand ne of this, vanilla sky and donnie darko and the matrix are all on my top 10 list of films! the butterfly effect can be hard to get your head around, but it is my favourite film of all time, i recomend it to any sober person!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko.

And no, don't bother trying to explain them. If they don't make sense, they're shit.

Fight Club was a bit...wtf the first time I saw it. But second time round I worked it all out. Good film. Makes sense.

Guest bluesxman

Lost Highway is almost making sense after many viewings. The end of Ichi The Killer was strange as the film makes sense apart from the very last scene. Switchblade Romance doesn't make too much sense if you think of all that has happened in the film until the final twist.

Lost Highway is almost making sense after many viewings. The end of Ichi The Killer was strange as the film makes sense apart from the very last scene. Switchblade Romance doesn't make too much sense if you think of all that has happened in the film until the final twist.

That's the beauty about Ichi the Killer and Miike's films. He generally leaves it to the viewer to decipher what happens at the end. Do spoiler tags work on this forums? I could tell you what I thought.

Testing

edit: hmm guess they don't work on these forums then. :help:

Guest bluesxman
That's the beauty about Ichi the Killer and Miike's films. He generally leaves it to the viewer to decipher what happens at the end. Do spoiler tags work on this forums? I could tell you what I thought.

Testing

edit: hmm guess they don't work on these forums then. :help:

Just put 'Ichi the Killer Spoiler at the top. Tough shit if anyone still reads it that hasn't seen the film!

Guest tv tanned
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' date=' Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko.

And no, don't bother trying to explain them. If they don't make sense, they're shit.

[/quote']

hmmm, I can see a flaw in this logic somewhere...

Ichi The Killer Spoiler - Don't Read

Just put 'Ichi the Killer Spoiler at the top. Tough shit if anyone still reads it that hasn't seen the film!

Ok let's go...

ICHI THE KILLER SPOILER - DON'T READ

It's been a while since I watched the movie, so my memory's a little blurry. Kakihara is masochistic bastard who is longing for the ultimate fight. After seeing what Ichi had done, he is genuinely scared and thrilled at the same time, so he looks forward to eventually fighting him. Little does he know that Ichi is not the sadistic psycho he imagined, but a poor disturbed retard who is being manipulated by someone else (Jiji). After psyching himself up, only to discover that Ichi is a shameful mess, Kakihara ends up feeling delusional and escapes to his own fantasy - a sort of masturbation, if you will, to achieve his pleasure. Kakihara deafens himself by placing needles in his ears to seek refuge from reality. He imagines Ichi to come to his senses, slice the wee boy's head off and eventually charge. Kakihara is then kicked in the forehead by the spikes on Ichi's boots, causing Kakihara to fall off and scream with sincere pleasure - this is how he wanted to die.

Although that's not the case, he of course imagined the whole thing. The final shot of Kaikhara has no scar on his forehead, implying that he fell off himself. We then see Ichi as the original crying mess on the roof, still getting a kicking from the boy.

What happens next? I think Jiji disposes of Ichi and uses the wee boy (who lost his father to Ichi) to train him to be the next ultimate killer. Only I think it backfires and the wee boy eventually kills Jiji (we see an old man hanging).

That's what I think. I love this damn movie. Seek out the uncut Dutch version if you can (UK version is censored).

Guest bluesxman
Ok let's go...

ICHI THE KILLER SPOILER - DON'T READ

It's been a while since I watched the movie' date=' so my memory's a little blurry. Kakihara is masochistic bastard who is longing for the ultimate fight. After seeing what Ichi had done, he is genuinely scared and thrilled at the same time, so he looks forward to eventually fighting him. Little does he know that Ichi is not the sadistic psycho he imagined, but a poor disturbed retard who is being manipulated by someone else (Jiji). After psyching himself up, only to discover that Ichi is a shameful mess, Kakihara ends up feeling delusional and escapes to his own fantasy - a sort of masturbation, if you will, to achieve his pleasure. Kakihara deafens himself by placing needles in his ears to seek refuge from reality. He imagines Ichi to come to his senses, slice the wee boy's head off and eventually charge. Kakihara is then kicked in the forehead by the spikes on Ichi's boots, causing Kakihara to fall off and scream with sincere pleasure - this is how he wanted to die.

Although that's not the case, he of course imagined the whole thing. The final shot of Kaikhara has no scar on his forehead, implying that he fell off himself. We then see Ichi as the original crying mess on the roof, still getting a kicking from the boy.

What happens next? I think Jiji disposes of Ichi and uses the wee boy (who lost his father to Ichi) to train him to be the next ultimate killer. Only I think it backfires and the wee boy eventually kills Jiji (we see an old man hanging).

That's what I think. I love this damn movie. Seek out the uncut Dutch version if you can (UK version is censored).[/quote']

I'll need to watch it again, been awhile! My copy is an uncut foreign release from e-bay, can't remember if it was Japanese or Thai, defo longer than the British release.

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind - didnt get it and thought it was shite, but was determined to understand...so I watched it again..and it makes sense...but still sux.

Vanilla Sky - Dont get what everyone is not getting...simple enough....the dude dies then is brought back from frozen animation to relive his life from the best part forward..with penelope cruz getting her napples oot!

Ive never seen donnie darko...will have too tho.

Calm down dear, it's a commercial...

I think it's interesting that the films most people struggle to understand are films that let the audience draw their own conclusion. As I said in the WOTW thread it seems to be that people expect a film to have a proper, wrapped up, ending. Also very interesting to note that all of the films that have came up several times in this thread are about the human mind and the complexities of human nature.

Here's my take on the re-occurring ones... not that Im necessarily correct.

Akira - A film about kids riding around on motorbikes crammed with quasi-political undertones and seemingly pointless metaphors. Just sit in awe at the amazing animation and you'll probably enjoy it much more.

Switchblade Romance - The single worst twist ever, don't get confused; it's just shite. I was more upset at the unconventional use of a slow muse song for the climax of the film... Cool deaths, but certainly not worth all the hype it got. Poor release by Optimum standards.

Mullholand Dr. - Debates could go on for days. Just a pretentious piece of modern cinema that requires no understanding. Is it a dream? Are parts of it awake? Doesn't really matter, it's still such a good film to watch.

Eternal Sunshine - Romantic Sci-Fi... A film about the complexities of the human mind instead of the usual clichs that ruin most Hollywood films and how even completely opposite people can click. The film isn't chronological but doesn't - as far as I can remember - involve time-travel.

Donnie Darko - A buddy movie between a schizophrenic kid whose 'reality' is warped by medication and an oversized rabbit... Fusing almost every genre imaginable with a mind-fuck of an ending that is so ambiguous that no one should care. More of a puzzle / debate than anything else.