London won the bid!

Fluffy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

there goes all the lottery money to community projects...

I tire of this incessant casual racism against the French, it bores me and simply underlines the unpleasantness of our society.

Guest tv tanned

My bets

1. The 70 million black hole in lottery funding to Scotland, which the government has admitted is being diverted to the London games, won't be filled, meaning grassroots projects miss out

2. Scotland gets to host maybe a couple of footie games at Hampden, and the rest of the UK gets very little as well.

3. Someone suggests that it would be a good idea for a UK football team.

Why are so many people on here so cynical about...well everything.

This is great news, one of the worlds greatest events happening in our country. The area where the stadium is going to be built is an area of east London which definitely does need investment and revival. This really will benefit the whole country.

In the end i wasn't that suprised London got it as all the talk over the last few days suggested that Paris' popularity was on the slide.

Well I've got my plans for summer 2012. I can't wait.

Guest tv tanned
Why are so many people on here so cynical about...well everything.

This is great news' date=' one of the worlds greatest events happening in our country. The area where the stadium is going to be built is an area of east London which definitely does need investment and revival. This really will benefit the whole country.

In the end i wasn't that suprised London got it as all the talk over the last few days suggested that Paris' popularity was on the slide.

Well I've got my plans for summer 2012. I can't wait.[/quote']

Oh I dunno, maybe it's because I cannot recall a recent large scale project organised by the government that hasn't turned into a massive white elephant and been hideously over-budget.

Am I alone in finding it particularly offensive that we need the excuse of an olympic bid for the government to bother its arse to regenerate part of London?

Oh I dunno' date=' maybe it's because I cannot recall a recent large scale project organised by the government that hasn't turned into a massive white elephant and been hideously over-budget.

Am I alone in finding it particularly offensive that we need the excuse of an olympic bid for the government to bother its arse to regenerate part of London?[/quote']

Pardon my french - oh, what a pun.

I also think it's a pile of stinking shit too.

my dad was telling me about the amount of camera's on the french and a few on the british waiting for the result as they thought paris would get it.

its going to give a hell of a lot of people jobs for the next 7 years. it would be ace to go to. but trying to find somewhere to stay would be a nightmare. you'd have to book now.

I think it's a bit shit that the UK got it anyway. It's all just been projected at the moment, building hasn't even started, wheras Paris and Moscow already had massive arenas finished. Also a shame that Madrid (the most environmentally friendly one) was kicked out. I think the only edge London had was that the athletes have had a massive amount of input towards the planning of the buildings and expecially the arenas / olympic vilage.

Fair enough it's going to be good, but what about security and terrorists? There's no way you could possibly monitor building development and employment for 7 years. And once the games have finished, massive arenas that will never be filled again...

Guest MerryChristmas
I tire of this incessant casual racism against the French' date=' it bores me and simply underlines the unpleasantness of our society.[/quote']

If you go down to England its practically everywhere

Up here its mostly against the English

There is no need for any of it

I think it's a bit shit that the UK got it anyway. It's all just been projected at the moment' date=' building hasn't even started, wheras Paris and Moscow already had massive arenas finished. Also a shame that Madrid (the most environmentally friendly one) was kicked out. I think the only edge London had was that the athletes have had a massive amount of input towards the planning of the buildings and expecially the arenas / olympic vilage.

Fair enough it's going to be good, but what about security and terrorists? There's no way you could possibly monitor building development and employment for 7 years. And once the games have finished, massive arenas that will never be filled again...[/quote']

I don't know the ins and outs of all the bids but apparantly one of the things that Britain had over the others is that there would be less "white elephants" after the games had finished. I believe this is will be due to certain events being held in other parts of the country and some temporary venues.

This has got me thinking though if you find out 7 years in advance, how the hell did Greece manage to almost not have everything finishedby the start of the athens olympics.

If you go down to England its practically everywhere

Up here its mostly against the English

There is no need for any of it

i dont know why the english have such a thing against the french but my god they do have a thing against them!

i think it is great london got it. not jsut for the jobs but if a good job is done it will encourage more tourists and they will be more likely to explore the country etc..

only down side, and i dont know if it true, but i read somewhere that the british government will pay all the altheltes involved to take part. again i dont know if it true, but if it is that sucks

i fucking love the olympic games. it's one of the great spectacles which i look forward to eagerly and i've visited a number of the old stadiums and plan to complete my quest to visit all the stadiums that have been used since athens 1896. there's such a lovely feeling that something genuinely special has happened there, especialy with ones like berlin and barcelona. i just got back from athens at the weekend and the way that transport in their city has benefitted from the olympics is incredible. also, every shop there has enough tshirts left over to last a lifetime!!!

fair enough it costs a whack of money but so does the bid itself and at least that's not been money wasted. it'll be amazing and i'll definately be going.

and as for the casual racism against the french, they can fucking get it right up themselves!!!!

spoons

/x