aberdeen-music

Zwan were shit....

kirkt

Billy Corgan's personality & songwriting skills were the main force behind the music of the Smashing Pumpkins & Zwan, and of course the same applies to his new solo work. As such, if you have an appreciation of the man, I don't see how any of the acts can be that much of a disappointment.

I think TheFutureEmbrace is a pretty good album, though I need more time to digest it properly. Incidentally, I saw Billy Corgan perform at the London Forum on June 16th & the songs sound particularly bold live. Lots of audience interaction and laughs from Mr Corgan too, which was good to see.

Eh Kirkt' date=' the Billy Corgan album is a free download album on his myspace account.

*shouldn't be telling this as likes buying real albums*[/quote']

Erm, i'm not sure you can actually download it. I think you can just stream it on the site. I've actually found myself listening to Zwan recently. Honestly and Lyric were great singles. Just a lot of New Order-meets-glam-rock fillers on the album though. I ain't gonna listen to the solo album until i buy it but i never tire of hearing Walking Shade.

Billy Corgan's personality & songwriting skills were the main force behind the music of the Smashing Pumpkins & Zwan' date=' and of course the same applies to his new solo work. As such, if you have an appreciation of the man, I don't see how any of the acts can be that much of a disappointment.

I think TheFutureEmbrace is a pretty good album, though I need more time to digest it properly. Incidentally, I saw Billy Corgan perform at the London Forum on June 16th & the songs sound particularly bold live. Lots of audience interaction and laughs from Mr Corgan too, which was good to see.[/quote']

I do feel that Corgans personality changed slightly when writing for Zwan. He takes a more religious approach which is certainly not evident on Mellon Collie "God is empty, just like me" lyrics. Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band ever (well alongside the beatles) and i love all their albums, but no matter how much I tried to get into Zwan, it still seemed to lack something for me. Its got couple of decent songs on it. Hardly compare to the likes of "Thru the eyes of Ruby" or "Disarm" though and although I won't get rid of it, I somehow can't imagine myself listening to it again.

Listening to the solo stuff on myspace now. Nice.

I do feel that Corgans personality changed slightly when writing for Zwan. He takes a more religious approach which is certainly not evident on Mellon Collie "God is empty' date=' just like me" lyrics. Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band ever (well alongside the beatles) and i love all their albums, but no matter how much I tried to get into Zwan, it still seemed to lack something for me. Its got couple of decent songs on it. Hardly compare to the likes of "Thru the eyes of Ruby" or "Disarm" though and although I won't get rid of it, I somehow can't imagine myself listening to it again.

[/quote']

I fully agree with you on this Kirk. I love the SP's but Zwan did nothing for me at all. They were so great they lasted one album.....................

I do feel that Corgans personality changed slightly when writing for Zwan. He takes a more religious approach which is certainly not evident on Mellon Collie "God is empty' date=' just like me" lyrics. Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band ever (well alongside the beatles) and i love all their albums, but no matter how much I tried to get into Zwan, it still seemed to lack something for me. Its got couple of decent songs on it. Hardly compare to the likes of "Thru the eyes of Ruby" or "Disarm" though and although I won't get rid of it, I somehow can't imagine myself listening to it again.

Listening to the solo stuff on myspace now. Nice.[/quote']

What exactly do you mean by "religious approach"?

At first I was quite indifferent to the Zwan album, despite the Smashing Pumpkins being my fave band ever. However, over time I have grown to be very fond of the Zwan album. I'm the first to admit that they are not as good as the pumpkins, but they are a different band altogether. As Adam pointed out earlier, it was although Corgan was free from preasure, and made the 'happy' songs that he had wanted to make while in the Pumpkins, but did not due to fan backlash (as demonstrated on this thread).

In my opinion the Zwan album is still a lot better than a lot of other shit that gets over hyped, and given time it reveals hidden depths.

I liked the zwan cd.

the problem with them was that they really, really couldn't play live. from what i've seen, anyway. it was abysmal, and billy corgan kept getting visibly pissed off with his bandmates for fluffing up. the recorded material sounded like a different band.

I can't remember but I'm sure he found God or something...

I think Billy was finding and losign god all his career though. And I listened to Mary Star of the Sea last night and it certainly has some corkers like El Sol and Settle Down i quite like now too, but then there's Baby Lets Rock! Cringe inducing.