aberdeen-music

best punk song ever...?

nobody_girl

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

I refuse to vote on the grounds of having the Beatie Boys, Prodigy and Specials on the list. All fine bands in their own right (well Prodigy used to be OK at times) but NOT PUNK!!!!

Would struggle to choose anyway for the genuine punk songs - love the Misfits but Last Caress would not be my first choice. Need to split between punk influences i.e. Stooges, original 76 -77 era, American first wave, American new punks, etc. Too many varieties in there. bet NOFX or some such shite wins.....

I don't know exactly what the original punk movement stood for (ask HummerOfIntenseEvil) but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't ridiculous baggy shorts, refusing to tidy your room / eat your vegetables or about going to the movies with your girlfriend. And Nirvana were certainly not a Punk band, they were the ones who took Grunge from the underground to the masses.

FWIW...I went for The Ruts - In a rut. Class lyrics, punk as fuck music. The Ruts were definitely the best of the second wave of punk (which happened in 1979, not 1994) and turned the whole scene around with regards to music, lyrics, ideas, creativity (listen to "West one (shine on me)")....

Just such a pity Malcolm never listened to his own lyrics!!! Love in vein indeed...

Guest bluesxman
but really.......what is punk?

*runs away and hides*

Punk is a media invention coined in the desperate struggle to categorise everything.

The Sex Pistols to me were the true 'punk' band as they influenced the whole monster now known as punk. The Clash, Buzzcocks, etc freely admit they followed in the wake of the Pistols. The Pistols style was unique in the clothes supplied by McLaren and Westwood until Sid joined, then he brought in the whole leather jacket/ripped jeans/Converse sneakers style copied from the Ramones uniform, and as punk's figurehead this became the punk style so copied from then till now.

I refuse to vote on the grounds of having the Beatie Boys' date=' Prodigy and Specials on the list. All fine bands in their own right (well Prodigy used to be OK at times) but NOT PUNK!!!!

Would struggle to choose anyway for the genuine punk songs - love the Misfits but Last Caress would not be my first choice. Need to split between punk influences i.e. Stooges, original 76 -77 era, American first wave, American new punks, etc. Too many varieties in there. bet NOFX or some such shite wins.....[/quote']

Beastie Boys are punk as fuck...go listen to Polly Wog Stew EP and even later tracks like Time for Living. They came from the same scene as Bad Brains etc, they just changed their style for hip-hop but hip-hop and punk scenes had a lot in common.

And The Specials were also totally punk. They're a huge influence on Rancid.

I voted for The Clash- London Calling. Just because its The Clash, its not my fave song by them or my fave song on the list (that would go to At the Drive In- One armed scissor) but they're the most important punk band ever and so still deserve the vote.

I voted for the Subs as:

a) It's a bloody great song

b) In the vain hope others will vote for this song so Charlie gets some of the rcognition he deserves. He's been THE punk since the whole thing started and hardly anyone (mainstream speaking) knows him. It's a disgrace.

I agree the list is a bit of a joke (FIVE Clash songs?; not even getting the Sham song title right; some clearly non - punk bands), but hopefully this can be used as an opportunity to show others there's more to punk than the Pistols and the Clash.

Was pleasantly surprised to see some lesser - known acts make that list, tho - King Prawn, Capdown, Snuff. Good stuff.

Guest bluesxman
Beastie Boys are punk as fuck...go listen to Polly Wog Stew EP and even later tracks like Time for Living. They came from the same scene as Bad Brains etc' date=' they just changed their style for hip-hop but hip-hop and punk scenes had a lot in common.

And The Specials were also totally punk. They're a huge influence on Rancid.

I voted for The Clash- London Calling. Just because its The Clash, its not my fave song by them or my fave song on the list (that would go to At the Drive In- One armed scissor) but they're the most important punk band ever and so still deserve the vote.[/quote']

I'm aware of the Beastie Boys origins but Fight For Your Right To Party is hardly from their punk catalogue and so shouldn't be on the list. Why not Egg Raid On Mojo which would make sense, or one of their modern hardcore efforts like Heart Attack Man. Beastie Boys punk offerings are not exactky their best works if you ask me.....I suppose NWA Fuck The Police is also punk as fuck because of the sentiment??

The Specials were a Ska band who formed in the wake of punk but were hardly punk. Rancid adopt the Ska style in an effort to adopt the musical scope proven possible by The Clash. I like Rancid and think they do it well as do a lot of the Hellcat roster.

I'm aware of the Beastie Boys origins but Fight For Your Right To Party is hardly from their punk catalogue and so shouldn't be on the list. Why not Egg Raid On Mojo which would make sense' date=' or one of their modern hardcore efforts like Heart Attack Man. Beastie Boys punk offerings are not exactky their best works if you ask me.....I suppose NWA Fuck The Police is also punk as fuck because of the sentiment??

The Specials were a Ska band who formed in the wake of punk but were hardly punk. Rancid adopt the Ska style in an effort to adopt the musical scope proven possible by The Clash. I like Rancid and think they do it well as do a lot of the Hellcat roster.[/quote']

I feel the attitude and lyrical content of The Specials would be enough to classify them as punk. I'm sure you can't deny they were influenced by punk and mixed it up with traditional ska. Some of their stuff isn't too different to some of The Clash stuff like Wrong em' Boyo.

I voted for the Subs as:

a) It's a bloody great song

b) In the vain hope others will vote for this song so Charlie gets some of the rcognition he deserves. He's been THE punk since the whole thing started and hardly anyone (mainstream speaking) knows him. It's a disgrace.

I agree the list is a bit of a joke (FIVE Clash songs?; not even getting the Sham song title right; some clearly non - punk bands)' date=' but hopefully this can be used as an opportunity to show others there's more to punk than the Pistols and the Clash.

Was pleasantly surprised to see some lesser - known acts make that list, tho - King Prawn, Capdown, Snuff. Good stuff.[/quote']

I'm a big fan of the Subs but it's a shame theres not more of a choice. I feel Warhead and C.I.D are superior offerings from Mr Harper and his band

Guest bluesxman
I feel the attitude and lyrical content of The Specials would be enough to classify them as punk. I'm sure you can't deny they were influenced by punk and mixed it up with traditional ska. Some of their stuff isn't too different to some of The Clash stuff like Wrong em' Boyo.

Yup, totally agree that the lyrics and attitude of The Specials were borne of punk but still think they were a Ska band musically and fashion wise.

The Clash are one of my favourite bands but I don't really consider them in terms of punk from London Calling onwards, they expanded beyond the confines of that term for me. Even Give 'Em Enough Rope was becoming more than that with Stay Free.

Guest bluesxman

Anyway, although i'm neglecting to actually vote, i'll pick Anarchy In The UK by the Pistols to back up my feelings on what is punk but love loads of those songs.

Best American 'punk' band is a tie between Dead Kennedys and Misfits for me, how bout everyone else?.

What's that song about cider that you were branding the best punk song ever last night?

im sorry but most the people in this thread are talking shit.

looking like the ramones or any of the older outfits doesnt make you punk.

no let me revise that.

not looking/sounding like older punk outfits does not make you not punk.

look at the boundries broken by the "non-punk" bands on the list.

Beastie Boys- probably the first "successful" WHITE rap group

Public Enemy- talked about politics at a time when people were happy rapping about how much better than the next guy they could rap

Nirvana + Prodigy - both left a mark on the singles chart with songs that no one else in the mainstream were doing at that time

NWA- actually made middle america fell threatened (its only a had full of songs for christs sake)

well you get the idea, and many of your punk heros are punk because what? they copied sid vicous' look and happened to be around in '77 - '79 ?

dont get me wrong, i love 90% of the bands on that list, i just wish sometimes you lot would take a step back and look at the door, instead of peeping throught the keyhole