aberdeen-music

best punk song ever...?

nobody_girl

I'm with midgeski on the Buzzcocks 'Ever fallen in love', but also go for these (didn't bother reading the list though!).......

Patrik Fitzgerald - 'Safety pin stuck in my heart'

X-Ray Spex 'Oh bondage, up yours'

Essential Logic 'Aerosol burns'

Sex Pistols 'Anarchy in the UK'

Desperate bicycles 'The medium was tedium'

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the fuck wrote that list?

They managed to overlook The Cramps, the New York Dolls and Rocket from the Crypt, yet they managed to include At the Drive-In and Hatebreed. What the fuck are Hatebreed?

I can't figure out if it's supposed to be the 'most punk song ever written' or your favourite punk song.

If it's most punk then it's either London Calling or God save the Queen, but I assume it's my favourite, which of that list would be "I wanna be Sedated" by the Ramones.

If Hatebreed wins this I'll carpet bomb the BBC and make Zane Lowe dance for his life.

Guest bluesxman
im sorry but most the people in this thread are talking shit.

looking like the ramones or any of the older outfits doesnt make you punk.

no let me revise that.

not looking/sounding like older punk outfits does not make you not punk.

look at the boundries broken by the "non-punk" bands on the list.

Beastie Boys- probably the first "successful" WHITE rap group

Public Enemy- talked about politics at a time when people were happy rapping about how much better than the next guy they could rap

Nirvana + Prodigy - both left a mark on the singles chart with songs that no one else in the mainstream were doing at that time

NWA- actually made middle america fell threatened (its only a had full of songs for christs sake)

well you get the idea' date=' and many of your punk heros are punk because what? they copied sid vicous' look and happened to be around in '77 - '79 ?

dont get me wrong, i love 90% of the bands on that list, i just wish sometimes you lot would take a step back and look at the door, instead of peeping throught the keyhole[/quote']

So do tell, after all that ranting with no discernible point to make, what does make you 'punk'? I note you like all the bands such as NOFX and Pennywise so am guessing we touched a nerve.......the point people were discussing was what indeed is punk. You seem to be arguing for originality and controversy as a means to be 'punk'.

Nirvana became successful on the back of a song Kurt admitted was an attempt to copy the Pixies. Are you referring to the Prodigy hit Charly which was their groundbreaking entry into the charts with their take on novelty techno? Or their later efforts to appeal to a more indie crowd by inclusion of guitars etc?

NWA were indeed shaking up America but hardly by means of being punk - it was by being black and promoting a gang lifestyle....

whilst there are undoubtedly quite a few decent songs on the list (which makes a nice change for these types of things), putting music from about a dozen different genres under the banner of "punk" is taking the piss. most of it would make a pretty decent playlist actually ...

I feel the attitude and lyrical content of The Specials would be enough to classify them as punk. I'm sure you can't deny they were influenced by punk and mixed it up with traditional ska. Some of their stuff isn't too different to some of The Clash stuff like Wrong em' Boyo.

If you were include all the sub-genres that punk spawned, then you'd have to include white funk (Gang of Four), Goth (Bauhaus), dub (Pil), electronica (The Normal) etc. and you'd have a huge list. Infact, you'd have the list that Uncut came up with a few years ago: The best singles of the post-punk age, which went right up to Eminem. Radio 1 should have defined this list better

If you were include all the sub-genres that punk spawned' date=' then you'd have to include white funk (Gang of Four), Goth (Bauhaus), dub (Pil), electronica (The Normal) etc. and you'd have a huge list. Infact, you'd have the list that Uncut came up with a few years ago: The best singles of the post-punk age, which went right up to Eminem. Radio 1 should have defined this list better[/quote']

You couldn't call PiL just dub. Dub was the other important genre along with punk that got mixed into their sound and is only really evident in the bass.

You couldn't call PiL just dub. Dub was the other important genre along with punk that got mixed into their sound and is only really evident in the bass.

Not just the bass, the general reverb applied to the mix. I couldn't think of another example of dub, other than Lee Perry, but he came before punk. My argument stands

Not just the bass' date=' the general reverb applied to the mix. I couldn't think of another example of dub, other than Lee Perry, but he came before punk. My argument stands[/quote']

Yeah your argument stands i didn't debate it.. I guess you are right about the reverb. Reggae and dub are quite often used interchangebley.

No' date=' because it's scope is too narrow. "What we really need, is an Alternative Ulster" only really has relevance for people living in Northern Ireland, unlike, say Anarchy in the UK[/quote']

I wouldn't go so deep into it as you have done, i prefer the SLF track over the Pistols tracks.

Not all the music on the list have any relevance to me but there still great tracks.

what does relevancy have to do with it ?

Well, punk (like the original pop revolution) was a youth movement, so the greatest and most significant songs of that era were those that were anthems for the greatest number of participating young people.

"Suspect Device" by SLF was an anthem of this era, but i doubt that "Alternative Ulster" was

In a nod to your avatar, I'll suggest Poor Ivan Dobsky by Billy Bragg

Well' date=' punk (like the original pop revolution) was a youth movement, so the greatest and most significant songs of that era were those that were anthems for the greatest number of participating young people.

"Suspect Device" by SLF was an anthem of this era, but i doubt that "Alternative Ulster" was

In a nod to your avatar, I'll suggest Poor Ivan Dobsky by Billy Bragg[/quote']

I can see what your trying to get at, but with 70's, 80's,90's & 2000 tracks there we cant all be participating young people can we o_O

No' date=' fair enough, but you should have an idea of what the songs meant at the time[/quote']

Thats not whats being asked thou, its best punk song not best song that is relevant to a generation.

It's the song you like, i prefer Alternative Ulster as its about living in a town with nothing to do - that's more relevant to me than Anarchy in the Uk.

I DONT WANT TO DESTROY THE PASSER BY :D

Just thought that flippin' Crazy Frog song means something now but in 10 years time that song will still be shit. But it'll still have meant something. :help:

So do tell' date=' after all that ranting with no discernible point to make, what does make you 'punk'? I note you like all the bands such as NOFX and Pennywise so am guessing we touched a nerve.......the point people were discussing was what indeed is punk. You seem to be arguing for originality and controversy as a means to be 'punk'.

Nirvana became successful on the back of a song Kurt admitted was an attempt to copy the Pixies. Are you referring to the Prodigy hit Charly which was their groundbreaking entry into the charts with their take on novelty techno? Or their later efforts to appeal to a more indie crowd by inclusion of guitars etc?

NWA were indeed shaking up America but hardly by means of being punk - it was by being black and promoting a gang lifestyle....[/quote']

i never said i was punk, but here goes, i'm punk because im not being a moron like you, who sees punks only as white boys with mohawks from the 70's.

how exactly have you hit a nerve with me? if you read my original post you'll see that i said i like about 90% of the bands in that list, other people's views on bands like the ones i like doesnt matter to me.

punk is not necessarily about originality but at the same time not, however the points about nirvana and prodigy was that look at the charts at the time, who else was doing what either band was doing? wether it was mocking novelty techno or ripping off the pixies, nobody else was doing it like that. as for NWA, at that time in america(Reagan/Bush era) being black and having something to say was punk.

the passion to make a stand for something in a way that is meaningful and memorable whether by ridiculing figures or authorities or whatever, or with spitting rage has not gone away. people just dont want to let a wider range of things into their circle.

Thats not whats being asked thou' date=' its best punk song not best song that is relevant to a generation.

It's the song you like, i prefer Alternative Ulster as its about living in a town with nothing to do - that's more relevant to me than Anarchy in the Uk.

[b']I DONT WANT TO DESTROY THE PASSER BY :D

Just thought that flippin' Crazy Frog song means something now but in 10 years time that song will still be shit. But it'll still have meant something. :help:

Who's it an anthem for? Bouley Bashers? In 25 years time there won't be a poll to find the greatest head-banging anthem, because it isn't a significant youth movement.

I let you have Alternative Ulster, because you explained why, and i guess it works for the same reason that London Burning worked for any young person living in an urban nightmare

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Punk is a media invention coined in the desperate struggle to categorise everything.

The Sex Pistols to me were the true 'punk' band as they influenced the whole monster now known as punk. The Clash' date=' Buzzcocks, etc freely admit they followed in the wake of the Pistols. The Pistols style was unique in the clothes supplied by McLaren and Westwood until Sid joined, then he brought in the whole leather jacket/ripped jeans/Converse sneakers style copied from the Ramones uniform, and as punk's figurehead this became the punk style so copied from then till now.[/quote']

actually he stole it from television, not the ramones