aberdeen-music

A word of warning if buying a laptop...

framheim

...avoid Acer computers like the plague. i bought a travelmate in january and it seemed fine but i've had nothing but problems since i tried to get a small fault fixed in it.

2 months ago i sent it back to Acer because when the laptop was plugged in to the mains it would charge up but would sometimes still run on battery power and not mains power. a slightly bizarre fault that i thought might be due to a dodgy connection with the power cable. they advised that i send the whole thing back and they'd fix it. they sent it back to me fairly promptly with a note saying repair complete, tested ok. the problems began then. they hadn't sent a power pack or ac adapter back with my laptop. i phoned immediately and was told they would get the repair dept to send one out. two weeks passed and no power pack so i phoned again and was told there was no record of my complaint so they ordered a new power pack and i sat down and waited. two weeks pass and i receive a delivery but it's only the power pack, no ac adapter. a bit pissed off i phone them again and the lady on the phone apologizes and says they put the wrong bit in the box and they'll send a new one out to me. i ask her to make sure they send me a power pack and an ac adapter(as she said it was the wrong power pack) and she checks and assures me they will. she also said it would arrive within 5 days. so two weeks later(today) i receive a delivery. a power pack without an ac adapter. i phone again and tell them how thoroughly disgusted i am with their service and indicate i will try and get a refund. i phone simply computers(now misco systems) who i originally bought the laptop from only to be told they can't authorise a refund until i've escalated my complaint with Acer and explored every option there. so i phone back Acer and insist on speaking to their customer services manager but the jobsbody on the phone ignores my requests and ploughs on into my service history until eventually telling me their manager is unavailable. i ask why he's unavailable and am told he's out of the office. i ask when will he be back in the office and i'm told he doesn't know, nor does he know where he is. i take a note of customer service noob's name and he assures me he can assist me. so apparently my new ac adapter will be dispatched tomorrow and should arrive on friday. by this point i'm absolutely fucked off with Acer computers and to a certain degree simply(misco).

so be wary when buying from Misco, unless it's a systemac system(they make them themselves) you may have trouble getting your money back if it's broken and don't buy an Acer even though they're cheap and powerful. their customer service people suck big time.

Make sure you phone them tomorrow and ask if its been dispatched. And also ask for a direct contact number for their line manager if they say he's out of the office, so you can leave him a voicemail. Be persistent and don't lose your temper. If all else fails tell them you're going to phone watchdog.

...avoid Acer computers like the plague. i bought a travelmate in january and it seemed fine but i've had nothing but problems since i tried to get a small fault fixed in it.

2 months ago i sent it back to Acer because when the laptop was plugged in to the mains it would charge up but would sometimes still run on battery power and not mains power. a slightly bizarre fault that i thought might be due to a dodgy connection with the power cable. they advised that i send the whole thing back and they'd fix it. they sent it back to me fairly promptly with a note saying repair complete' date=' tested ok. the problems began then. they hadn't sent a power pack or ac adapter back with my laptop. i phoned immediately and was told they would get the repair dept to send one out. two weeks passed and no power pack so i phoned again and was told there was no record of my complaint so they ordered a new power pack and i sat down and waited. two weeks pass and i receive a delivery but it's only the power pack, no ac adapter. a bit pissed off i phone them again and the lady on the phone apologizes and says they put the wrong bit in the box and they'll send a new one out to me. i ask her to make sure they send me a power pack and an ac adapter(as she said it was the wrong power pack) and she checks and assures me they will. she also said it would arrive within 5 days. so two weeks later(today) i receive a delivery. a power pack without an ac adapter. i phone again and tell them how thoroughly disgusted i am with their service and indicate i will try and get a refund. i phone simply computers(now misco systems) who i originally bought the laptop from only to be told they can't authorise a refund until i've escalated my complaint with Acer and explored every option there. so i phone back Acer and insist on speaking to their customer services manager but the jobsbody on the phone ignores my requests and ploughs on into my service history until eventually telling me their manager is unavailable. i ask why he's unavailable and am told he's out of the office. i ask when will he be back in the office and i'm told he doesn't know, nor does he know where he is. i take a note of customer service noob's name and he assures me he can assist me. so apparently my new ac adapter will be dispatched tomorrow and should arrive on friday. by this point i'm absolutely fucked off with Acer computers and to a certain degree simply(misco).

so be wary when buying from Misco, unless it's a systemac system(they make them themselves) you may have trouble getting your money back if it's broken and don't buy an Acer even though they're cheap and powerful. their customer service people suck big time.[/quote']

least amount of paragraphs ever

• 10 months later...
Start recording your calls to them.

When it comes time to sue you'll have evidence of them being cocks.

Acer... i'll get a sony instead.

um, it was a year ago. laptop got fixed and everythings been fine since, i still won't buy acer again but neither would i buy an overpriced sony viao. although they are nice, you can get more for your money.

If all else fails tell them you're going to phone watchdog.

You are joking right...? I work in a call centre, and believe me, when somebody says "I am going to phone watchdog/ the press etc" you will get the generic answer of "that is your perogative sir/ madam. If you feel that is necessary then please do so." And the very second you are off the call, the person you spoke to will be laughing at you and telling their colleagues about the naive fuckwit that thinks their threats will make a difference. Don't mean to offend, just stating a cold, hard fact- which is that call centre staff get so much shit, and hear the same thing day after day after day, and it just stops having meaning. I know I really don't care about the people that are calling. I am there to get PAID, bottom line.

You are joking right...? I work in a call centre' date=' and believe me, when somebody says "I am going to phone watchdog/ the press etc" you will get the generic answer of "that is your perogative sir/ madam. If you feel that is necessary then please do so." And the very second you are off the call, the person you spoke to will be laughing at you and telling their colleagues about the naive fuckwit that thinks their threats will make a difference. Don't mean to offend, just stating a cold, hard fact- which is that call centre staff get so much shit, and hear the same thing day after day after day, and it just stops having meaning. I know I really don't care about the people that are calling. I am there to get PAID, bottom line.[/quote']

hah, maybe if they cared a bit more about customer service and doing their job to a higher level they'd get less shit. just a thought eh.

Guest Hon Jonda
Start recording your calls to them.

When it comes time to sue you'll have evidence of them being cocks.

Acer... i'll get a sony instead.

Remember kids it is only admissible in court if you tell the person that they are being recorded

I will never again buy a laptop. Im waiting for dual or tri core 64bit to come out of the closet

hah' date=' maybe if they cared a bit more about customer service and doing their job to a higher level they'd get less shit. just a thought eh.[/quote']

Their conditions hardly allow them to do such a thing though. They have set targets for getting people off the phone - and they get into shit for not getting people off the phone fast enough. It's tough to give someone good customer service if you're pressured into that - fair enough, you can try your best, but if you've had a few difficult calls in a row, is it any wonder they start to crack?

Everyone else that has to deal with customers has to be nice' date=' why should someone in a call centre be any different?

The fucking bastards.[/quote']

I love the little ending there. :laughing:

Remember kids it is only admissible in court if you tell the person that they are being recorded

I will never again buy a laptop. Im waiting for dual or tri core 64bit to come out of the closet

64-bit dual cores are already out. well at least i think there is AMD 64-bit dual core opterons.

doubts youd see one of those in a laptop though