aberdeen-music

When did the Simpsons lose it?

Birdman

The newest series on Channel 4 (series 12 is it?) I've found to be a bit too far-fetched at times. I always thought the genius of The Simpsons was that it made absudrities out of real life situations. After all, the original premise was that it was an "average" American family, was it not? This most recent series, however, has just been plain stupid at times. There's ridiculous situations like the one where Lisa makes Homer and Bart think they have leprocy, and it ends with them on a paradise island getting needle treatment. There's been far too many times where I've been left thinking "what the fuck is going on?", especially if you miss a bit since it moves along at a really fast pace now.

But on the other hand, "help me Jebus" is one of my all time favourite Simpsons moments. But again, that episode's ending was a bit silly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Simpsons jumped the shark when every episode started to revolved around Homer and his increasingly "crazy" stunts' date=' basically sidelining all the other characters. The Simpsons used to be a show about a family and now....most of the episodes in the later series are about Homer becoming an artist/missionary/trucker/Burn`s Buttmonkey etc. It used to be that Springfield had a flimsy grounding in reality, which allowed situations to evolve naturally. Now its about Homer doing something mad that actually makes no sense even in the context of the episode, whilst interacting with gratutious celebrity appearances shoehorned into the episode by the writers.[/quote']

Exactly!

I think I enjoy the newer episodes because I'm so sick and tired of seeing the older ones for the 16' date='000th time, but they don't seem to have much substance to them, just some funny things happening.[/quote']

+1

As funny as it is, I hope I never see the epsiode where Homer falls down the cliff ever again.

Well then again, it is absolutely hilarious when the ambulance drives straight into the tree...

" I've been getting heaps of mails about the following rumour. It claims that there is a 50% chance to futurama coming back, but no other sources have confirmed this yet. So we might be dealing with some hoax again, if there is more news about this I will inform you about it. But in the meantime, don't get your hopes up "

well thats helpful...

some of my favourite lines just now

Homer: "maybe i'm not getting enough...........estrogen."

Kirk: I sleep in a racing car, do you?

Homer: I sleep in a big bed with my wife

Chalmers: Skinner, you're fired!

Skinner: Excuse me, did you just call me a liar?

Chalmers: No, I said you were fired.

Skinner: Oh. That's much worse.

This one is hilarious and a perfect example of the Simpsons prime:

"Roll in at nine, punch out at five, that's the plan."

Heh, heh, heh. They don't suspect a thing.

The camera pans down to Homer's mouth, but he doesn't say anything. It pans back up to his brain.

Well, off to the plant.

(out loud) "Then to the Duff Brewery."

Uh, oh. Did I say that or just think it?

(out loud) "I've got to think of a lie fast!"

(Not Birdman)

It's still a decent way to spend half an hour, and I'd rather watch The Simpsons than Friends, but it just isn't as good as it used to be, and the older funny episodes are repeated so often that I've really lost interest in it. And it's all about Homer and Bart now too, which annoys me because I think that they are the two least funny characters. All they do is repeat tired old lines or sketches. Seriously, when was the last time anyone laughed at a 'D'oh!' joke?

Gah. Damn your Family Guy*, Futurama and Simpsons, give me Zim!

*although I love Family Guy simply because of Stewie.

homer is probaly stil the funniest character and probaly always was during it's peak. Although the success due alot to the brilliance of the supporting character. Thats one hting which i fell futurama and family guy lack. They don't have any characters any where near the brillaince of mr burns or principal skinner.

that episode where homer gets raped by a panda was the worst simpsons i'd ever seen. total shit. i almost cried. the great thing about the simpsons was that it was always above yer average innuendo and toilet humour, it was always that little bit smarter but now it's as low as the rest of them. don't get me wrong, i love jokes about bums and stuff but they're ten a penny. whereas south park et all were once struggling to come up with orginal ideas because the simpsons had done them all now the simpsons is ripping off south park style jokes and skits. it seems they just come up with 50 seperate funny lines and try and shoehorn them into one episode regardless of the means to get them there. it's still better than most of the crap on telly but it's nowhere near it's majestic best. and there's just nothing worth watching in it's place without family guy and futurama(south park i guess but it's on at stupid times). :(

I'm going to be really dense and ask...did Homer *really* get raped by a panda? How the hell did they work that into the story? What else happened?

*edits*

Also, the episode that's on now (the snow plow one) I've seen on Ch4 at least 3 times since they bought the Simpsons. (that was only about 6 months ago, wasn't?) Gah.

Guest Bob Double Jack

i think the simpsons is still damn funny.

What about the rest of the shit that is on our screens?

Reality TV? Don't get me started on that - where is the reality in having two poofs hosting a show of z list celebrities on a farm? Reailty my arse. The best "reality" tv show of the last 5 years was "The Apprentive", and I defy anyone who says otherwise.

I don't get how anyone can rate Family Guy. It's just a shit version of the Simpsons.

that's wrong!

it's genius in it's own right. fair enough if you don't like it but you can't just say it's a shit version of the simpsons. it's got a different style and it's got a talking dog and a talking baby! and you're wrong, so there :p

The simpsons have never been shit...and we should be thankfull of this fact.

Since like 1990 they have been pumping out a series every year...for free to you.

Ive been hooked on the simpsons for years because it is simply the funniest programme, altho Futurama is equally just as funny...

Bart: What do we get if were good?

Homer: Pizza

Lisa: What if were bad?

Homer: Poison

Lisa: What if one of us is good, and the other bad?

Bart: poison Pizza

Homer: Oh no!! Im not making two stops.

The writers must be continually wired...

apologies for being too lazy to read this thread, so if anyone has already said all this then forgive me.

the simpsons shown on channel 4 on weekdays are from season 4 and the ones on friday nights are from season 11, they only have the rights to seasons 2-5, and 11+12, so if by new you mean up to seson 12 then yeah i guess they did hit a bit of a low, they're still of a very high standard as far as telly these days go.

The NEW simpsons, as in seasons 15 and 16 are brilliant imo. You can tell they are definitly trying to compete with family guy's sense of humor though.

I also have a hell of a lot of respect for the writers for managing to keep the storylines vaugely fresh and completely relevant after well over 350 episodes.