aberdeen-music

This shit is BANANAS...B A N A N A S...

Anyone as sick and confused about this turd of a song as I am? Well, suddenly it all makes sense...

Gwen Stefanis Hollaback Girl is one of the most baffling pieces of music of the modern age. Its got something to do with cheerleadersthat much is clear, judging from the chanting and the marching band thats honking and tooting in the background. Beyond that, good luck deciphering the songs ambiguities. We were so vexed by the mystery that is Hollaback Girl that we have devoted countless hours to its study. Our conclusions are below. The first thing you should know, though, is that Gwen is not singing I aint no Harlem fat girlat least, we dont think she is.

Uh huh, this my shit

Gwen is introducing us to her shit.

All the girls stomp your feet like this

This talk of shit and stomping has nothing to do with actually stepping on feces. But what does it mean? From a reading of the later text, we can conclude that the song takes place in the world of high school athletics, and that Gwen is apparently leading the girls in a calisthenics exercise. The shit, we surmise, is what she calls the exercises shes teaching the other girls.

A few times Ive been around that track

So its not just gonna happen like that

Here, Gwen exhorts the girls to try harder as they jog around the track, reminding them that physical fitness is not just gonna happen, but must be worked at.

Cause I aint no hollaback girl

I aint no hollaback girl

These lines are the most confusing, but their meaning will become clearer later.

Oooh, this my shit, this my shit

Gwen repeats this four more times. She wants to make sure that we are well acquainted with her shit.

I heard that you were talking shit

And you didnt think that I would hear it

Gwen has been the victim of some slanderous high school gossip, and she doesnt appreciate it. Gwen is 35 years old sliding into MILF status at this point, but well grant her some poetic license.

People hear you talking like that, getting everybody fired up

So Im ready to attack, gonna lead the pack

Gwen is going to round up a posse of her girlfriends and retaliate against the person whos been talking smack about her.

Gonna get a touchdown, gonna take you out

Gwen is going to beat up the person who wronged her, after she completes the cheerleading routine that will inspire the football team to score a touchdown. Gwen has interesting priorities.

Thats right, put your pom-poms down, getting everybody fired up

It seems the entire cheerleading squad is going to beat up the person who spoke ill of Gwen; they have put down their pom-poms, and they are now fired up to exact swift and terrible vengeance on Gwens behalf.

I aint no hollaback girl

Gwen is apparently the captain of the cheerleader squad; she is the girl who hollas the chants, not one of the girls who simply hollas them back. Given that the squad is preparing to beat somebody up on Gwens behalf, shes picked a strange time to remind them that she is their leader and they are her sheep-like followers. Gwen obviously rules her squad with an iron fist.

Oooh, this my shit, this my shit [repeated four times]

Again with the shit.

So thats right dude, meet me at the bleachers

No principals, no student-teachers

Both of us want to be the winner, but there can only be one

So Im gonna fight, gonna give it my all

We learn that it was a dude who gossiped about Gwen. She challenges him to a fight at the bleachers. If he imagines it will be a fair, one-on-one fight, he is sadly mistaken. Gwen and her aforementioned pack will pounce on him like rabid wolves.

Gonna make you fall, gonna sock it to you

Thats right, Im the last one standing, another one bites the dust

Gwens pack of furious cheerleaders leaves the boy a quivering, bloody heap behind the bleachers for the groundskeeper to discover the next day.

I aint no hollaback girl

Having completed their ghastly work, Gwens squad members return to the field and resume their cheerleading activities, as Gwen reminds them once more that she is the boss and they are all her bitches.

By calling her exercise routines shit, Gwen is showing us that for all her bravado, the character in this song secretly suffers from profound self-esteem issues. She is a complex antiheroine for an age of changing gender attitudes and expectations.

Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Here, Gwen steps away from this bloody spectacle for a moment to comment on the madness and ugliness of what weve just witnessed, and, by extension, the petty rivalries of high school in general. This shit is bananas, Gwen tells us, and we can only agree. And lest we miss the point, she spells it out. And repeats it another three times.

I aint no hollaback girl

Back on the field, Gwen is still bullying the squad to carry out her routines. But now we see her in a new light, as the sad, lost creature she truly is.

As the song fades out, Gwen is left only with her shit, the mindless exercises that bring her no comfort from the raging emptiness within. As much as she hollas, no one hears her cries for help.

Anyone as sick and confused about this turd of a song as I am? Well' date=' suddenly it all makes sense...

Gwen Stefanis Hollaback Girl is one of the most baffling pieces of music of the modern age. Its got something to do with cheerleadersthat much is clear, judging from the chanting and the marching band thats honking and tooting in the background. Beyond that, good luck deciphering the songs ambiguities. We were so vexed by the mystery that is Hollaback Girl that we have devoted countless hours to its study. Our conclusions are below. The first thing you should know, though, is that Gwen is not singing I aint no Harlem fat girlat least, we dont think she is.

[i']Uh huh, this my shit

Gwen is introducing us to her shit.

All the girls stomp your feet like this

This talk of shit and stomping has nothing to do with actually stepping on feces. But what does it mean? From a reading of the later text, we can conclude that the song takes place in the world of high school athletics, and that Gwen is apparently leading the girls in a calisthenics exercise. The shit, we surmise, is what she calls the exercises shes teaching the other girls.

Here, Gwen exhorts the girls to try harder as they jog around the track, reminding them that physical fitness is not just gonna happen, but must be worked at.

I aint no hollaback girl

These lines are the most confusing, but their meaning will become clearer later.

Oooh, this my shit, this my shit

Gwen repeats this four more times. She wants to make sure that we are well acquainted with her shit.

I heard that you were talking shit

And you didnt think that I would hear it

Gwen has been the victim of some slanderous high school gossip, and she doesnt appreciate it. Gwen is 35 years old sliding into MILF status at this point, but well grant her some poetic license.

So Im ready to attack, gonna lead the pack

Gwen is going to round up a posse of her girlfriends and retaliate against the person whos been talking smack about her.

Gwen is going to beat up the person who wronged her, after she completes the cheerleading routine that will inspire the football team to score a touchdown. Gwen has interesting priorities.

Thats right, put your pom-poms down, getting everybody fired up

It seems the entire cheerleading squad is going to beat up the person who spoke ill of Gwen; they have put down their pom-poms, and they are now fired up to exact swift and terrible vengeance on Gwens behalf.

I aint no hollaback girl

Gwen is apparently the captain of the cheerleader squad; she is the girl who hollas the chants, not one of the girls who simply hollas them back. Given that the squad is preparing to beat somebody up on Gwens behalf, shes picked a strange time to remind them that she is their leader and they are her sheep-like followers. Gwen obviously rules her squad with an iron fist.

Again with the shit.

So thats right dude, meet me at the bleachers

Both of us want to be the winner, but there can only be one

So Im gonna fight, gonna give it my all

We learn that it was a dude who gossiped about Gwen. She challenges him to a fight at the bleachers. If he imagines it will be a fair, one-on-one fight, he is sadly mistaken. Gwen and her aforementioned pack will pounce on him like rabid wolves.

Thats right, Im the last one standing, another one bites the dust

Gwens pack of furious cheerleaders leaves the boy a quivering, bloody heap behind the bleachers for the groundskeeper to discover the next day.

I aint no hollaback girl

Having completed their ghastly work, Gwens squad members return to the field and resume their cheerleading activities, as Gwen reminds them once more that she is the boss and they are all her bitches.

By calling her exercise routines shit, Gwen is showing us that for all her bravado, the character in this song secretly suffers from profound self-esteem issues. She is a complex antiheroine for an age of changing gender attitudes and expectations.

Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Here, Gwen steps away from this bloody spectacle for a moment to comment on the madness and ugliness of what weve just witnessed, and, by extension, the petty rivalries of high school in general. This shit is bananas, Gwen tells us, and we can only agree. And lest we miss the point, she spells it out. And repeats it another three times.

I aint no hollaback girl

Back on the field, Gwen is still bullying the squad to carry out her routines. But now we see her in a new light, as the sad, lost creature she truly is.

As the song fades out, Gwen is left only with her shit, the mindless exercises that bring her no comfort from the raging emptiness within. As much as she hollas, no one hears her cries for help.

you're just pissed off cuz i made you watch it a couple of weeks ago just so i could hear the B-A-N-A-N-A-S bit :p

Let me hear you say' date=' this shit is bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S [/i']

Here, Gwen steps away from this bloody spectacle for a moment to comment on the madness and ugliness of what weve just witnessed....

..reminded me of the scene in Hamlet where young Fortinbras enters the Danish court to lay eyes on the tragic scene...

whoop, look at me revising...

Probably? Given that the tune wholeheartedly rips off "Milkshake" by Kelis' date=' which was already very high on the tack-o-meter, and that the lyrics add a new dimension to the word execrable, you're letting it off pretty lightly, aren't you?[/quote']

Don't get me started on that song...I think its fucking worse....would love to give that bitch a slap...shut up, fuck off, and take your tiny tits with you...

It is a masterpiece of awfulness, so completely, weirdly bad that my mind refuses to let it go. In a sadly futile effort to purge "Milkshake" from my brain, I have dissected the lyrics line by line in hopes of making some sense of them. Assuming youve been similarly harassed by the song, we run the following analysis as a public service:

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

(Err . . . okay. Presumably, Kelis is not referring to a literal milkshake. From what follows, it would seem most likely that she is singing about her breasts. So, she is saying the way she shakes her breasts draws boys from far and wide, and they all stand around in her front yard. Its a very strange concept, but well run with it.)

And theyre like, its better than yours

(Wait . . . better than whose? Did the boys bring their girlfriends along to stand in the yard, and these boys are comparing their girlfriends breasts to Kelis? Thats just plain rude!)

Damn right, its better than yours

(Kelis apparently agrees that her breast-shaking is better than the girlfriends of the boys standing in her yard.)

I can teach you, but I have to charge

(Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps Kelis is now telling the girls that she will instruct them in the art of breast-shakeage for a small fee. Kelis lives in a very strange world. The entire first verse now repeats, and it only becomes more confusing on the second go-round.)

I know you want it

The thing that makes me

What the guys go crazy for

(Kelis asserts that because her breast-shaking technique is better than the girlfriends of the boys standing in her yard, these poor girls can never hope to sexually arouse their boyfriends the way Kelis can. Kelis is apparently kind of a bitch.)

They lose their minds

The way I whine

(While most men would not put whininess high on the list of characteristics they find attractive in a woman, apparently the strange boys who gather in Kelis yard find it irresistible.)

I think its time

(Ummm . . . time for what? For Kelis to shake her breasts? Does it happen each day at a designated time? No wonder the boys are gathering in her yard, if theyre guaranteed a show like that every day at a specified hour!)

La, la , la, la, la

Warm it up

(A warm milkshake? The prospect is faintly nauseating, frankly. This would seem to confirm that Kelis is not referring to a literal milkshake. Perhaps her breasts are cold from all that time in her yard, and she is shaking them to warm them up.)

La, la , la, la, la

The boys are waiting

(Apparently, it is indeed the designated hour for Kelis to do her breast-shaking show for the boys gathered in her yard. With a scene like that going on, I wonder how long it will be before some neighbor calls the cops? The first verse now repeats again, twice.)

I see youre on it

You want me to teach thee

Techniques that freaks these boys

(Kelis is apparently once again plugging the instructional courses she offers in breast-shaking.)

It cant be bought

(Hang on! Kelis, did you not say just a few verses ago that, for a nominal fee, you would teach these poor girls how to shake their breasts? And now youre rescinding the offer! What the hell, girl?!?)

Just know things get caught

Watch if youre smart

(Well, at least Kelis is taking the time to warn these girls about the dangers of STDs. And judging by the asshole boyfriends theyve apparently hooked up with, Id say its a very real possibility they could contract some scary diseases.)

La, la , la, la, la

Warm it up

La, la , la, la, la

The boys are waiting

(Know what, Kelis? You are just plain not nice, and the girlfriends of the terrible boys in your yard are going to need some serious counseling.)

After reading the analysis on Gwen Stefani's Holla Back girl , I noted that there was a slight misjudgement or addition t your meaning of the lyrics.

I won't take it through line by line, but I think that the main theme of this song is very pro-feminist. The writer uses direct, almost antogonistic word choice in order to display an angered tone to those who listen to her song.

it is not a literal song, but almost a question.

A few times I've been around that track

So it's not just gonna happen like that

'Cause I ain't no hollaback girl

I ain't no hollaback girl

A few times I've been around that track - this symbolises that she has experienced sexism and has seen how men have treated her in some cases. She sees cheerleading as exploitation and offers cheerleaders globablly to back down from the hungry eyes of old, wrinkly men who go home atnight and adorn cheerleading uniform (their choice I spose). However, one must note htat in the following line she recognizes and decides that 'Cause I ain't no hollaback girl and differentiates herself from the crew.

Oooh, this my sh**, this my sh** - this, by the use of vulgar slang, commincates to te youth of today, telling the females, and perhaps males, that this is her life, her body, her choices, and recommends others to do the same. Ironically. Anyhoo, at a lgrasp of individualism she inspires other girls to be themselves. how nice.

"heard that you were talking sh**

And you didn't think that I would hear it

So I'm ready to attack, gonna lead the pack

That's right, put your pom-poms down, getting everybody fired up"

This verse depicts a typical nonsensical "girl-fight" that is now a regular occurence in modern society. She discovers the attitudes of others and pleas them to qualm these feelings of hate into sports whereby they benefit from a touchdown. As she says she is ready to "attack" Gwen means she is going to lead a competitive cheerleading rally sponsered by Pepsi next year where she will sing this angst-ridden song.

So that's right dude, meet me at the bleachers

Both of us wanna be the winner, but there can only be one

So I'm gonna fight, gonna give it my all

That's right, I'm the last one standing, another one bites the dust

This is the turning point in the song, where Gwen views a fight going on between two old enemies - Good and Evil. Through an apocalyptic war with socks , they meet at the Bleachers (American mordor) and battle the stuggle between sexism and pc-awareness, good and evil, amongst other themes.

My favourite line however:

Let me hear you say, this sh** is bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

now after much debate, I have come to the conclusion that it can only mean one thing - suffrage.

Bananas have the obvious connotations with the colour yellow, and through discovering these connotations one has to remmeber that during the second world war woman often worked in munitions factories whereby they would work with toxins all day long. it was a regular occurance to recieve a painful toxic jaundice, which would make the skin yellow. Gwen spells out bananas to tell girls to remember the long fight for suffrage and that feminism is still strong.

she repeats this in order to possibly brainwash the cheerleaders all over the world and help fight the battle at the bleachers.

That is a possible meaning, but on the other hand, it probably has none.

• 2 weeks later...

Gwen spells out bananas to tell girls to remember the long fight for suffrage and that feminism is still strong.

Hahaha!! Sorry think you're way off on a tangent here! Next you'll be telling me Paris Hilton is joining her in this crusade.

Nice analysis by the way, it could be true, check the lyrics to "just a girl"....I just don't find Gwen very sincered and I think she'd rather be flaunting (whoring) herself than making any sort of social political statement...