aberdeen-music

screw yer i-pods, i want this!

framheim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're right, it's not an i-pod, it's better than an i-pod. an i-pod has 17 hours battery life and the battery isn't replacable and holds less songs for the memory. using the altrac format the sony machine can double the amount of songs it holds compared to the ipod. and it's cheaper. plus every man and his dog has a bloomin i-pod. although, the docking stations for the i-pod do look very cool.

they don't call em i-pod killers for nothing.

Read the small print. I've got the HD3 model which claims to have about 30 hours battery life but that estimate is made assuming you are only playing back files in Sony's ATRAC file format - not MP3s. Playing back MP3s reduces the battery life more (I get about 12 - 18 hours out of mine) but it's still better than any iPod. So although it says the HD5 can do 40 hours I'll happily bet you it won't get anywhere near that if you are going to be playing back MP3s on it.

In reality u would probably NEVER get 40 hour battery life. It's like saying that on a 512kbps Broadband Internet Connection, you can download a music file in less than 3 minutes........yea sure, if the other person is using 512kbps or higher, has enough bandwidth to allow you fast speeds, has a fast ping rate and indeed isn't a 10 minutes remix.

So 40 hours battery life, aye if a mouse is listening to it.....what happens when u turn the volume up - the amplifier needs more electricity - hence draining the battery oot. And what happens if u keep browsing the playlist - the light comes on, again eating into the battery. lol

you're right' date=' it's not an i-pod, it's better than an i-pod. an i-pod has 17 hours battery life and the battery isn't replacable and holds less songs for the memory. using the altrac format the sony machine can double the amount of songs it holds compared to the ipod. and it's cheaper. plus every man and his dog has a bloomin i-pod. although, the docking stations for the i-pod do look very cool.

they don't call em i-pod killers for nothing.[/quote']

Fair enough, ill have to admit that my year old series 3 i pod's battery only last about 4 hours these days but thats because i use it as a portable hard drive, to store all my graphic design work ( around 4 gigs), and the i pod uses firewire connections which are far faster than usb and charge at the same time. Also, when the battery does die i can get another one http://ipaq-battery.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=27. For pure aesthetics you cant beat an i-pod.

Haha, no, can't say its up to ipods standards in terms of style...

I've had my 3rd Gen Ipod for over a year now and i can't say i've had any problems at all. Battery life still seems good (is used at least everyday) and it never freezes/messes up in any way. Apple even sent me free headphones :D

(I told a porky)

Haha' date=' no, can't say its up to ipods standards in terms of style...

I've had my 3rd Gen Ipod for over a year now and i can't say i've had any problems at all. Battery life still seems good

[/quote']

I'm lucky if i get 30 minutes playback out of mine :down:

thats my only complaint tho

I've got a 40G Photo iPod, no complaints so far (2 months and counting) - easy software (FUCK SonicStage), great usability, meets my storage needs, and decent playback time (I use it in the car, needs charging about once every two weeks, so about 14+ hours playback plus standby?). Waiting for the inevitable crash, cos all I ever read is how shite these things are, but I love mine....

How are you best to use the battery? I've always been told to ALWAYS run anything rechargable right down to flat, then fully charge again, to avoid "false memory". Worked for my mobile, me old netMD, camera etc. Anyone know any different?

... I've always been told to ALWAYS run anything rechargable right down to flat' date=' then fully charge again, to avoid "false memory". Worked for my mobile, me old netMD, camera etc....[/quote']

...likewise, my father has stressed the importance of draining the battery so many times. I now live in fear of something dreadful happening if I dare start charging anything when it's half full.

Oh my' date=' it's not very pretty.[/quote']

I agree. I think it looks butt ugly - the HD3 looks much better IMHO. I mean what's with the buttons on the front? It just looks naff. The iPod, as much as I hate to admit it, looks better than any current Sony unit out there.

Guest Vis
I've got a 40G Photo iPod' date=' no complaints so far (2 months and counting) - easy software (FUCK SonicStage), great usability, meets my storage needs, and decent playback time...[/quote']

Ditto, except for it's 30G. Got it as a gift. I used to have a Sony MiniDisc and from experience ATRAC sound quality isn't that great, and for some reason has a shit maximum volume level. The iPod's file type (ACC?) is a fair bit better in both departments. iPod is a fair bit more attractive too (true it's like the plague but I think the people who DO buy it as an accessory give themselves a pleasant surprise). And agreed, batteries ought to be run down to dead before recharging, saves burning already charged cells (or something). That's my only complaint, that if you want to connect it to your PC to put more music on it it automatically starts recharging, cause it takes power straight off the USB. Dammit. Otherwise - love my iPod.

Guest Vis
iRiver' date=' I think this is by far the best on the market. To anyone that's planning on purhcasing an mp3 player, do give them a look.[/quote']

Sweet capacity and it handles OGG files which are awesome quality but very small.

Ugly as sin though.

I have the NW-HD1, and it has been absolutely amazing, until a couple of weeks ago when the screen died, took it back to the shop (i bought it in john lewis) and it was sent away under warranty straight away so i should hopefully have it back in a week or so.

i went into john lewis looking to decide between a mini or 20 gb and walked out with a sony (well i did when i went back to buy it a few days later)

roughly the same size as a mini, much, much better battery life, a decent sized hard drive (much bigger then athe mini, same as the 20gb)(recording at 64kbs atrac3+ i have used just under 3gb of it, and that basically all the music i need and listen to semi regularly)

as for the battery life, mine has 30 hours, the guys in john lewis tested it out, they left a song playing on repeat, and it played it for the 30 hours as sony say it should, so i am guessing the HD5 wont be any worse

i do think the HD1/HD3 look a bit more classy though, though i would have ot see it in person to say for sure.

as for sonicstage, i have been using the 2.1 that came with my walkman and its been fine... i recorded all the music i listen to from my cds, and really cant see why people complain about sonicstage...

David