aberdeen-music

Derren Brown

Did anyone just watch Derren Brown?

He created some form of Zombie shoot 'em up game which put you in a trance and stuck it in a pub. The first guy to play it ended up essentialy hypnotised, Derren then took him outside, strapped him to a stretcher and took him into an abandonded hospital which was a replica of the game.

He then gave him a gun and awoke him from the trance, Derren then pumped the place full of people dressed up as Zombies and the guy preceded to try and shoot them all down, convinced they were trying to kill him.

The guy was then carried back to the game and he woke up convinced he'd just played the best game ever.

Completely against his will, but great television either way.

i missed any explanation at the start, but it was very interesting to see what the guy did when he woke up in the 'real' room, watching him kinda think 'wtf' then realising what was happening and start shooting. then afterwards him waking up, again slightly confused for a moment, then working out it was a game and being rather excited about how cool and realistic it was, and trying to work out why (fancy graphics or somehting i think he said)

one thing i always wandered, hwo do they go about getting permission for this sort of stuff? i guess they cant get their permission before the experiment (otherwise they would ruin their reactions) but they must need their mermission after at least before they can show it (ie why they sensor some faces/numberplates in police shows) but what would you be thinking if they pulled off something like that on you? it must be very freaky seeing what you did afterwards

i did wander how exctly he got him into a trance, he was telling the guy to add flashes to the game and stuff, still dont know exctly how he did it though

David

I was actually getting pretty fucking scared watching that as it became clear just exactly what was away to happen...I just didn't know how that guy was gonna react....I'm glad he was able to take it so well...I do agree it was a bit out of order, although I'd have loved to have had that done to me! :D ....compensation anyone? ;)

THE VERY FUCKING WORRYING THOUGHT....what is he doing to us when we're watching his show?!?! You can just picture him in the editing room "just another flash there, a sound effect, a message saying "KILL YOURSELF" and another flash...." Being controlled by a screen! Is Big brother watching us or are we watching Big Brother? (well no cos that aint on just now :D)

Anyway, top marks again.....need to know what this mofo is all about! :D

I definitelly began to feel slightly disorientated watching him play the game, probably just the combination of the flashing lights and spicy pizza though.

I think Derren Brown is a lot more in control of what he's doing to people than say Paul McKenna, who ended up giving a girl a heart attack after he convinced her she was being electrocuted.

The best thing about Derren Brown is, there's no David Blaine style magic trick, he's just really fucking smart.

Guest Keira
THE VERY FUCKING WORRYING THOUGHT....what is he doing to us when we're watching his show?!?! You can just picture him in the editing room "just another flash there' date=' a sound effect, a message saying "KILL YOURSELF" and another flash...." Being controlled by a screen! Is Big brother watching us or are we watching Big Brother? (well no cos that aint on just now :D)[/quote']

argh! good point!

oh me..

He says he doesnt use actors...but i find that just a little bit of bullshit...im pretty sure there is no way he could pull a trick like that and not be breaking some laws....and if my friend collapsed whilst playing a computer game i would look slightly more worried than his mates did....and then they just let some guys cart him away and they all seemed just a little bit tv trained if you ask me...

Non the less, good entertainment whatever way you look at it...

Guest Cowboy Dan

A couple of years ago they showed an episode of "pokemon" which had flashes followed by noise or something and it caused half of japan to black out, I imagine this is the technique used by Derren Brown.

I saw it and thought it was amazing! He can't have been breaking any laws, after all the game did say on it "play this game at your peril"!

You have to tell someone they have been secertly filmed before it is allowed on TV. they have to give permission that they can be showed, thats why sometimes their faces are blurred.

I was quite surprised they didnt have some form of warning about the flashing lights on there ans the tv show. My mum has epilepsy, and that would have given her a fit if she had watched it.

But by gum it was good. i would have shat myself. i HATE zombies. they give me nightmares!

I love Derren Brown, I've been watching his stuff for years and there are things that he does and I can see really clearly what he's trying to get people to draw or write.

When Simon Pegg was on a few weeks ago I could tell really quickly he was going to make him think of a BMX but there are other things where I just think "how the fuck did he do that?"

My favourite thing he did this series was with the guy who was a clock maker and he told him to pick a time and Derren would stop him exactly at that time down to the second. So the guy picked 1 hour and 14 seconds and when Derren stopped him it was only 8 minutes or something. So the guy was all confused and then Derren (god knows how) managed to tell him EXACTLY where he was in the book he was reading. Crazy.

There's one technique he uses (as seen in the bike one), where he has a chat with them and misses out words from phrases, and then their mind will fill it in and that will be what they think of.

Like when he predicted the guy in the supermarket would pick up the vinegar, as they were walking round, Derren said "Yeh you get loads of crisp flavours, like Cheese and Onion or Salt and....., anyway you just go over there".

However, I don't think it would ever work if anyone else tried to do it.

i love derren brown to bits, its fucking amazing! did anyone see the one where he had staring competitions with people? and some guy said it felt like his eyes were burning etc

that was cool as hell

the zombie game was awesome last night, such a shame on the poor guy though!

oh my fucking god that was like the best thing ever. he is such a legend. oh derren brown. take me now.

i'd be well freaked out if something like that happened to me. and then i'd feel really stupid afterwards. but happy because derren brown would have touched me.

You have to tell someone they have been secertly filmed before it is allowed on TV. they have to give permission that they can be showed' date=' thats why sometimes their faces are blurred.

I was quite surprised they didnt have some form of warning about the flashing lights on there ans the tv show. My mum has epilepsy, and that would have given her a fit if she had watched it.

But by gum it was good. i would have shat myself. i HATE zombies. they give me nightmares![/quote']

I think the correct term for it is a Model Release form (of some description) I bet Hog will know about them. How shit would you feel if you were watching TV and the next thing - your on it! making a tit out of yourself. The guy either knew before or afterwards what was going to happen. My guess is he knew afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...