aberdeen-music

How do I get outta this?

Mouse

I've got almost everything booked for download festival but now my work tells me I can't get the day off. I gave them the dates within the one months notice. Surely they can work round it if I've already booked it? The guy I work with is on holiday apparently but he told me when it was and it worked out he was back the week before. I can't miss it but I can't loose my job, I'm so pissed off :swearing:

Do you have your holiday booked and written on paper? Was your request made in writing?

It's unlikely they could sack you for skiving one day - you might get a huge shouting at and get a written warning, but as far as I know, skiving off one day doesn't count as gross misconduct and so you could claim unfair dismissal if you did lose your job over it.

Guest pop-notmyface
Work at Makro' date=' doing the frigging trolleys. Since I go in and do tills and stock they can get someone to do trolleys for a weekend. Theres only 3 people on trolleys for the whole week including me![/quote']

forget about your job and follow your instincts. or hope for divine intervention.

If they've just changed their mind after saying you could take the days off then you're totally within your rights to kick up a fuss (ie, demand the day off or get them to give you back the money you've spent on tickets etc)...alternatively have a quiet word with your boss, like the one who is higher up than the guy telling you that you have to work. If you can sweet talk them well enough you should be able to get it off and smirk at your manager.

Or you could blatently lie and say you're ill. I did that when my boss refused to give me the day after my 18th birthday off, even when I told him I'd probably phone in with a hangover. he wasn't very surprised when I didn't turn up.

Guest haigyman

it's not like they can ACTUALLY prove you're not sick, i mean, say that you were refused a holiday and then were genuinely ill on the day you were meant to be off, it's not like you'd come in then just to avoid suspicion.

it's not like they can ACTUALLY prove you're not sick' date=' i mean, say that you were refused a holiday and then were genuinely ill on the day you were meant to be off, it's not like you'd come in then just to avoid suspicion.[/quote']

Yeah, but do they not call your house if you say you're sick? Asda does, they're pretty hardcore.

Maybe you could do an extra shift the day before instead ?( If not I'd say just go and then argue your case as well as you can when you go back in. Or don't mention it and feign ignorance.

Guest haigyman
Yeah' date=' but do they not call your house if you say you're sick? Asda does, they're pretty hardcore.

Maybe you could do an extra shift the day before instead ?( If not I'd say just go and then argue your case as well as you can when you go back in. Or don't mention it and feign ignorance.[/quote']

i can think of HEAPS of ways to get round them calling your house

a) too sick to come to the phone

b) asleep

c) ...well...who cares anyway, the first two'll do.

[EDIT] i never answer the phone anyway

i can think of HEAPS of ways to get round them calling your house

a) too sick to come to the phone

b) asleep

c) ...well...who cares anyway' date=' the first two'll do.[/quote']

I did that once..I spent the entire weekend drunk and didn't go into work once, so I claimed to be seriously ill and unable to answer the phone and got one of the wardens in halls (who thought i was ace) to back me up...i didn't get sacked :D