aberdeen-music

The Mellotron

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest Zeenat Aman

For fans of the Mellotron, or for those who've never heard of one, check out this very polite pathe news film from circa 1965: The Mellotron

To think that this thing later became one of the key instruments in Progressive Rock... bizarre!

:D

The wonderful mellotron. Okay, it was technically a nigthmare, but what a sound. I'll never forget Phil Collins describing is on early Beatles, Genesis and Traffic records as "sounding pretty ropey but was the only way you could get strings".

Cobblers. The choir sound has never been surpassed and the strings and flute sound lovely too.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Mellotron moments

The wonderful mellotron. Okay' date=' it was technically a nigthmare, but what a sound. I'll never forget Phil Collins describing is on early Beatles, Genesis and Traffic records as "sounding pretty ropey but was the only way you could get strings".

Cobblers. The choir sound has never been surpassed and the strings and flute sound lovely too.[/quote']

Whats your favourite songs with Mellotron?

Well Stairway to Heaven is one of my favourite songs although not especially for the mellotron. I think no band used the mellotron as beautifully as Genesis, and on no album more than Trick of the Tail. The closing two minutes of Entangled are some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

King Crimson's first album for the strings: also IQ have always been fond of the mellotron choir, although in later years tended to use it as a power backing to uptempo numbers rather than as streams of choirs softly invading.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Well Stairway to Heaven is one of my favourite songs although not especially for the mellotron. I think no band used the mellotron as beautifully as Genesis' date=' and on no album more than Trick of the Tail. The closing two minutes of Entangled are some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

King Crimson's first album for the strings: also IQ have always been fond of the mellotron choir, although in later years tended to use it as a power backing to uptempo numbers rather than as streams of choirs softly invading.[/quote']

Ah, stairway aint tron, a common error, it was used only for the live renditions.

Some of my fav's are Epitaph from the first KC album, We Love You by the stones and the very subtle use of it on Gentle Giants 'Three Friends' album and George Harrison's Wonderwall soundtrack album, it has loads of great and weird mellotron moments.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Pardon's begged' date=' now you come to mention it, I've been told this before. My mistake. Nice flute sound all the same![/quote']

I've read that it's either Ocarina's, or recorder's play by JPJ's. I love his tron playing on The Rain Song.

Guest davetherave
Ah' date=' stairway aint tron, a common error, it was used only for the live renditions.

Some of my fav's are Epitaph from the first KC album, We Love You by the stones and the very subtle use of it on Gentle Giants 'Three Friends' album and George Harrison's Wonderwall soundtrack album, it has loads of great and weird mellotron moments.[/quote']

Ah the mellotron, Epitaph would have to be one of my fav examples, but of course I'm biased.

:D

Guest Zeenat Aman
Ah the mellotron' date=' Epitaph would have to be one of my fav examples, but of course I'm biased.

:D[/quote']

It makes me happy to have met the man who wrote(most of it) and played the mellotron on that very song, make that, wrote most of In The Court! :D

Guest Zeenat Aman
funny you should mention that...i aquired a nice set of mellotron samples the other day...have used the choir sound on my album.

I'd be interested to hear that' date=' any online mp3's?

favourite mellotron moment has to be exit music by radiohead...totally haunting. sent shivers down my spine when i first saw them do it live :)

Yeah, definitely one of the better modern uses of the tron. They didn't use a real one when I saw them in 1997 sadly, not sure if they tour with their M400.

Mellotron :love:

"They're an absolute cunt to maintain in a usable condition, but what else can make that delicious, dreamy sound?"

It's so true... The Mellotron is like the Angel Delight of the musical world (in that it's dreamy and delicious.. not in that it's hard to maintain, particularly). I spoke to Thijs van Leer about them when Focus came to Aberdeen but I can't remember what he said because I was struggling with star struckness.

As for songs, Kites by Simon Dupree and Entangled by Genesis are both great.. gotta love some of the Rick Wakeman stuff too. :rockon:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...