aberdeen-music

Underapprieciated Aberdeen Bands

Gumpy

I don't understand what all the whoo ha about Flight 19 is. Fair enough they aren't a bad band' date=' however, i remember seeing them in Drakes and the singer came across as a whiny baby moaning and complaining at the scene, bitching and sniping at other bands- professional: i think not.[/quote']

Same here.

I saw them at the Aberdeen Union a few years ago, and I thought they were absolutely dreadful. The singer had the worst banter ever and it sounded like the drummer was playing the same thing for every song.

Of course they MIGHT have gotten better in the three years or so since, but I have to say I doubt it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
I think Flight 19 they are very good band but when I seen them at Drakes I did think the singer was trying so hard to show that he didn't care people think that it came accross that he did care.

So true. I remember I posted, quite clearly and articulately (and not maliciously), my exact thoughts on the band before they played a gig at Drummonds with The X-Certs...and let me tell you, it was constructive criticism, but the singer made a substantial deal of it before their last song and, if truth be told, made a bit of a cunt of himself onstage. I lost any respect I could ever possess for that band there and then.

And they are pretty rubbish too, of course.

Underrated Aberdeen bands, though...? I think all the good ones get enough attention locally as they can expect, if I'm honest. I quite like Reasons Are Red and I'd love to see Copy_haho and Dedalus expand beyond Aberdeen.

hmmm sidca are good not amazing, but good. not sure about anyone elses choices i would kind of say there were a bit over rated... i think every aberdeen band gets the credit they aim for(and get) really...

wow i just contradicted myself didnt i. yesssssssssssssssssssss.

nah i just disagree with the thread... i guess it makes a difference who your talking too as always.

Same here.

I saw them at the Aberdeen Union a few years ago' date=' and I thought they were absolutely dreadful. The singer had the worst banter ever and it sounded like the drummer was playing the same thing for every song.

Of course they MIGHT have gotten better in the three years or so since, but I have to say I doubt it.[/quote']

well sorry but bands arnt all about banter.

Not many of you will remember flights 19 first realease on fat hippy was pretty much a 'skate punk' cd...so maybe thats why the drums 'sounded' the same. I urge you to go and see them dude...they have come a long way

Guest Mr Blastcap

personally i think "frontman" (hate that idea as well) banter just sounds rubbish, (apart from when david yow does it, then its funny) especially when they announce the name of the band every song and then introduce the band members . like anyone cares. in fact i think it actually makes a band sound pub-rockish- and therefore very unproffessional.

where can i get a stayover t-shirt?

Aye' date=' frontman banter is for losers. Up here it just ends up being in-jokes that I never get :nono:[/quote']

I think that good frontmen can get the banter just right, the trick is to play to the audience in general and not to the mates I think. I do agree up here most people dont particularly have good banter but a good performer when they get it spot on can be as much fun to see for the banter as the music.

Cheers

Stuart

well sorry but bands arnt all about banter.

Not many of you will remember flights 19 first realease on fat hippy was pretty much a 'skate punk' cd...so maybe thats why the drums 'sounded' the same. I urge you to go and see them dude...they have come a long way

Yes! It was very much skate punk they were playing, which is why I detested it so much. If I ever see them again I'll be fair and pass unbiased judgement on them.

My banter theory: Not essential, but extremely beneficial if you get it right. If you can get a few laughs out of the audience, they'll warm to you more. And it can make a gig memorable. Jester's right about playing to the whole audience and not just a few mates - that's when it sounds like pub-band stuff. On a bigger scale, banter from a band can make a gig more memorable and seem more personal. It also makes sure that the gig isn't just a case of "go on, play songs, fuck off". The Morrissey and Manics gigs I've been to in the past year are far more memorable than, say, Interpol, who didn't interact with the audience much at all.

• 2 weeks later...
... but the singer made a substantial deal of it before their last song and' date=' if truth be told, made a bit of a cunt of himself onstage. I lost any respect I could ever possess for that band there and then...

....I quite like Reasons Are Red....[/quote']

:laughing:

On that note... come see Andrew Corse, the frontman of Flight19, play in his new band Reasons Are Red at Kef on Sunday 24th April, supporting Sucioperro, Degrassi, & Brigade. 7pm

:rockon:

band from uncle are superb' date=' you should go in for go-north. wheres my stayover t-shirt. i'm running out of toilet roll.[/quote']

When we make T-Shirts I'll be sure to post it up so you can get one.

flight 19

ive heard flight 19 twice and i jsut dont think they will have enough to offer in the near future. there nae bad but it takes something extra. to be honest there are better bands in town. i dont think leaving town matters. aberdeen is a small city in comparison to others. record labels can only sign so many bands because of there budget. so you have to be up with the best.i have regularly noticed bands coming from down south, during the northern exposure night. and they just wipe the floor. i think bands up here need negative remarks rather than positive ones to enable there obvious potential to produce the goods