aberdeen-music

class divide, aberdeen scene.

Ollie

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i refuse to play anything that isnt worth at least 5k as i am a little spolt brat who always gets what he wants..........get a grip.

So what if someone has the best gear ever?? Doesnt make them any better does it??

Grow up people and stop paying so much attention to what everyone else has or is doing worry about your own band and your own equipment.

billy joel still tours with his first ever guitar' date=' what does that tell you??[/quote']

What about Brian May, one of the worlds best guitarists, still plays with the guitar he built himself from a fireplace as a teenager, that guitar is probably worth more than any other guitar in music i'd hazard a guess. Sometimes money doesn't make you a bettre player butif you're serious enouihg to get a band together and get out there then theres no harm in having the best you can afford.

Cheers

Stuart

billy joel still tours with his first ever guitar' date=' what does that tell you??[/quote']

It tells you that a guitar is a personal item, that the emotional attachment you have with it is worth more than money to buy a new one.

What about Brian May' date=' one of the worlds best guitarists, still plays with the guitar he built himself from a fireplace as a teenager, that guitar is probably worth more than any other guitar in music i'd hazard a guess. Sometimes money doesn't make you a bettre player butif you're serious enouihg to get a band together and get out there then theres no harm in having the best you can afford.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

recently priced at 24 big ones

what in the christing name of god is up with the aberdeen scene..it seem to be seperated by 'pretentious' art crap that couldnt be art if it tried where daddy's bank balance means that you have the right to act above anyone. Fair play nice instruments but dear lord learn to use them. Then theres the skint bands who actually get noticed outside of the skankhole' date=' thanks.[/quote']

The only gig where I was jealous of onstage equipment was naked Filthpact.

Guest Mr Blastcap

blah blah blah aberdeen tosh

as a child of the thatcher era i believe that we live in a classless society, where given hard work derivative punk rockers can be just as succesfull as willfull lo-fi noise mongers. however: my gut instinct is that the author of this thread is a pissy middleclass cock who likes radiohead and not echo and the bunnymen.

i like my jazzmaster, but i also like my thrift shop guitars- and its up to me what noises i make with them!

this board is dull dull dull. i'm off to the electrical audio forums...

I like my cheap acoustic, and I prefer Epiphone to Gibson, just, because, well, I do.

We saw a support band at Kef a while back, fucking awful, the first time I've left and gone to the bar to wait for the headliners to start. Whne we saw this 'band' pack up, they had massive amps, everything went back into flight-cases, etc, the boxes they had cost more than everything my band has put together. Why does a local band need heavy-duty flight cases? Jesus.

Anyhoo, point is, they were a crap band with tens of thousands of pounds of equipment. Plenty of bands have 'shite' equipment but make good music with them.

I'm conviced (and dependent) on the idea that it doesn't matter. As long as it dosn't fall apart on you , and you like the sound, your gear is good.

Guest AmbientMood

My Dad spent a grand on my first setup, it's probably the reason I'm so goddam good (from this I hope you derive that my indulgence into the world of guitar playing in the early years was far more intense than that of the regulation Squier player, thus upping achievement and coincidentally, enjoyment. Keeping keen and motivated is simple when you possibly don't have the technique, but the ability or potential to create quality sounds, as opposed to utterly shit sounds).

People start with beginner guitars if they are unsure whether or not they will 'like it' (this uncertainty probably means they shouldn't bother in the first place). I would never condone playing the same old shitty guitar after you have progressed up the ranks of ability. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that people who continually play bad guitars obviously haven't taken any sort of fulfillment or achievement from playing, thus lose desire to improve and ending up 'playing for fun,' (possibly in a serious Aberdeen band.)

I like how the person who started this thread hasn't bothered replying yet and we are on the 5th page. I also liked Spoonies post it said a lot of what I was thinking. I can't wait till I have enough money for something like a Stingray or Spector Bass. When I get it I'm not going to be bothered if someone else is better than me and has a 150 bass because if you work hard for something then you entitled to have it.

Or because they can't afford a better one?

Although I'd probably spend more on a guitar if I had the money, I'd like an Epiphone Coronet, for some reason. For now though I'm saving for a better amp. Though considering I've only got a Roland Mini-cube at the moment it wouldn't take much to upgrade!

I think partly also buying expensive gear shows you're commited, you're investing a lot of mony in somehting, which you wouldn;t do if you weren't serious. For instance, to buy a 2000 guitar, I'd need to work for 416 hours at my current job (Gap)! :down:

Guest AmbientMood
As long as it dosn't fall apart on you ' date=' and you like the sound, your gear is good.[/quote']

Depends what level you're playing at. Playing live, you need a quality sound:

like the sound

Liking a sound, is subjective, but you should hear my 72' Les Paul Deluxe through Marshall JCM something or other... Factually great tone.

Guest AmbientMood
Though considering I've only got a Roland Mini-cube at the moment it wouldn't take much to upgrade!

Yeah, but don't they have a little button you can press that plays an A to tune with?

Three facts, good and true:

A good guitar will not make a bad song sound better.

A good song will sound good even with a bad guitar.

Good music = good, creative songs.

If I was to complain about one flaw in the Aberdeen scene, it is that most bands put all their effort into their technique and timing, without spending enough time on decent lyrics or original thought. I have heard innumerable local bands who feature glorious guitar noises and finely honed precision drumming, yet sing D-A-G-A songs about "sunshine" and "good time", or "love" and "the stars above". You know what I mean.

AKM

Three facts' date=' good and true:

A good guitar will not make a bad song sound better.

A good song will sound good even with a bad guitar.

Good music = good, creative songs.

If I was to complain about one flaw in the Aberdeen scene, it is that most bands put all their effort into their technique and timing, without spending enough time on decent lyrics or original thought. I have heard innumerable local bands who feature glorious guitar noises and finely honed precision drumming, yet sing D-A-G-A songs about "sunshine" and "good time", or "love" and "the stars above". You know what I mean.

AKM[/quote']

Yeah, although lyrics seem to be a problem with bands in general at the moment, not just local.

A good amp will make a good song sound exquisite though ;)