aberdeen-music

The Best Gig You've Ever Been To...

jonty84

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dylan???? that was the worst concert i have been too. B&S were great but mine would have to be charlatens at the music hall in 99' date=' not thier biggest fan but that gig was amazing[/quote']

Opinion was very divided about Dylan at the Exhibition Centre. I thought he was brilliant, but then I'd seen him do a REALLY bad one in Glagow in 89.

Other great nights I missed out....the first time the Smiths played here. The Happy Mondays/James one at the Venue, the TVPs in Edinburgh c 85, and ones I'm just glad I saw...Billy Fury(Imperial Hotel 73ish) Tom Rapp, Ghost, 6 Organs, Sonic Youth etc (Boston 02), Tony McPhee (Radars, 80s, Moorings a few years ago) ISB (lemon Tree), Eugene Chadbourne, Snooks Eaglin (New Orleans 2002)

Beta Band - New York Roxy 2002

Faith No More - Glasgow Arches 1997

Pearl Jam - Wembley Arena 1996

Pearl Jam / Idlewild - Irvine 2003

Coldplay - Hollywood Bowl 2003 (More for the venue than the band)

Brian Wilson - Glasgow 2004

Idlewild - Forres Loft 2005

The Verve - Glasgow Barrowlands 1997

Spiritualized - Aberdeen Lemon Tree 2003?

Janes Addiction - Glasgow Academy 2003

and loads more if I could be arsed.....

SLINT- ATP

the paper chase-sometime

need new body-atp

deerhoof-atp

EARLY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!-ATP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theblood brothers- Two nights ago!

mighty flashlight- GOOD!!

SHELLAC- ago sometime

cat on form- eye

SONIC YOUTH-Glasgooowwwwoooohhhhoooo!!!

Liars- mmm hm,mmm!!

WIRE-EYEEEEE!!!!!

Mogwai- ATP again it was good!!!!

spoon- good mmmmwwweeeppppp!!

MATMOS-atp

The MELVINS- yeah yeah uh huh!

HOOd- glasgow ago!

COACHWHIPS!!!!!!! they r good yes!!!!

radio----ed!! aberdeen

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY!! aye!

Q AND NOT U!!! missed some of it but wwhjhjdfkshk!!!!!!!!!!!

THE DRIFTERS!!!!!! best ever band ever i saw when i was young!

GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!

SLINT- ATP

the paper chase-sometime

need new body-atp

deerhoof-atp

EARLY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!-ATP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theblood brothers- Two nights ago!

mighty flashlight- GOOD!!

SHELLAC- ago sometime

cat on form- eye

SONIC YOUTH-Glasgooowwwwoooohhhhoooo!!!

Liars- mmm hm' date='mmm!!

WIRE-EYEEEEE!!!!!

Mogwai- ATP again it was good!!!!

spoon- good mmmmwwweeeppppp!!

MATMOS-atp

The MELVINS- yeah yeah uh huh!

HOOd- glasgow ago!

COACHWHIPS!!!!!!! they r good yes!!!!

radio----ed!! aberdeen

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY!! aye!

Q AND NOT U!!! missed some of it but wwhjhjdfkshk!!!!!!!!!!!

THE DRIFTERS!!!!!! best ever band ever i saw when i was young!

GOOD TIMES!!!!!!![/quote']

So much excitement! And that toe X) The Drifters indeed. Seen them a couple of times, so so smooth. Mmmm.

I've got to say the best show, as in entertainment-wise, I've seen was Green Day at the SECC just last month. Having not seeing them before I stood there in awe, foaming at the mouth. The whole set was immense, with the pyros and all. Awesome stuff.

That's closely followed by Goldfinger, Zebrahead, The Matches and Reel Big Fish (minor detail, they were a bit shite.) Goldfinger and Zebrahead are two of favourite bands in the whole wide world, I was just getting into The Matches too. Met the legend Darrin Pfeiffer. And saw his coconut arse a few times. :D

Lou Reed' date=' Apollo 73

Deep Purple, Caird Hall, 73

ISB Music Hall 73/4(?)

Flamin Groovies, Union 76(?)

Matt McGinn, Dunvegan 76

Lene Lovich, Capitol 79ish

Ted Hawkins, Capitol, Music Hall, Gloucester Hotel 80s

Butch Hancock, Jimmy Dale Gilmour, Perth 93

Dick Gaughan, Lemon Tree 95?

Jim Malcolm, Ellon 95[/quote']

I was at the Lene Lovich, Ted Hawkins & Dick Gaughan ones. Don't recall the ISB one....it might've been a bit earlier?? (Saw Pentangle about then). I remember seeing Mike Heron's Reputation c75 at (I think) the Mitchell hall (or whatever the one beside Robt Gordon's College is called.....same place as Be Bop deluxe played anyway.

Primal Scream/Teenage Fanclub at the Beach Ballroom was another good one. Another great one for me personally was Virginia Astley at the Venue (supporting Martin Stephenson, I think). Also the Gil Scott-Heron ones there.

the Mitchell hall (or whatever the one beside Robt Gordon's College is called...

Was that where I saw Ivor Cutler? Famously irascible, stopped the show after a few minutes when some last-minuters stumbled in, growled "you're late", then waited until they sat down before carrying on. We could feel the glow from their beamers on the back of our necks...

Far,Far too many to mention but....

Soulfly@Ozzfest 2001 - The only time i've actually enjoyed them. (Tom Araya comeing on with them, might have helped

:rockon: )

Slayer@Download2004

System of a Down@The Barra's 31/03/02

White Zombie@Donington'95, Reading'95 and The Barra's 11/05/96 :rockon:

Life Of Agony@The Garage, Glasgow 07/11/2003

Rammstein@MEN Arena,Manchester 06/02/05

Roger Waters@MEN Arena, Manchester22/06/02

Insane Clown Posse had to be one of the best, absolutely fantastic show likes!! much love! November '03, London! What made it better was the 4 star hotel and first time being to london for...well a fair whiley!

One Minute Silence, American headcharge and Slipknot - St. Valentines day Massacre and with Slayer in the Unholy Alliance aswell! love love lovely!

the Mitchell hall (or whatever the one beside Robt Gordon's College is called...

Was that where I saw Ivor Cutler? Famously irascible' date=' stopped the show after a few minutes when some last-minuters stumbled in, growled "you're late", then waited until they sat down before carrying on. We could feel the glow from their beamers on the back of our necks...[/quote']

Ivor was in the Cowdray Hall, very close nearby.......I was there, too. His 2 Arts centre ones were ace, as was one he did in the Univ.Union in the 70s. There's a documentary on BBC4 about him next week.

I checked the name of the hall. and the one where Be Bop Deluxe etc played is the MacRobert Hall. The Mitchell Hall is the one beside th anthropological museum at Marischal College, where bands have played, but I've only seen Hamish Imlach and Mike Whellans there, I think. So many halls, so little time!!!

Leftfield at T In the Park, 2000. I had, ahem, been partaking that weekend, and was absolutely stunned by Leftfield. They were more intense than any rock band and visually utterly gripping: I felt like that bit in Clockwork Orange where Malcolm McDowall has his eyes gripped open by pins. There was all this red light and dry ice, so that when Afrikaa Bambataa came out on stage he looked like some demon from the nether reaches of hell. And when they played "Phat Planet"... it felt like that bit in Scanners when the guy's head blows up. WOW.

Easy.

Bloodhound Gang

Electric Eel Shock

17th Aug 2004

Waited about 5/6 years to see the Bloodhound Gang, everything about the night was perfect. Myself and Alf (the man) started a two-man pit for Electric Eel Shock - because they're that damn good - and i can safely say the BHG put on the greatest show known to man.

Fact: This gig was the reason for the government changing the law on the number of asses kicked before prosecution from 7 to 985.

"Rawk an Rowww!"