aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Cheers for the info - I'm looking forward to getting it - did notice the Joe Jackson "homage" but it doesn't detract from the song one bit. Never heard of Jason Faulkner ...but then I'm only vaguely aware of Brendan Benson - any of his stuff worth checking out?

Is your version of "Superfly" one of the double pack ones? When all the Curtis Mayield stuff was being put out on cd (and when I bought mine) all the cds came as two-fers. Superfly had the lesser known soundtrack to "Short Eyes" included on it.

Brendan Benson is ace, I adore him. Go and buy Lapalco, it's his 2nd album and it's just beautiful, a good mix of mellow songs, clever lyrics and catchy hooks. I think it's only about £5 in Fopp right now. The new album Alternative to Love is good but not as cheerful, think he got dumped before recording :p Jason Faulkner was in Jellyfish I think and produced Lapalco.

Brendan Benson is ace' date=' I adore him. Go and buy Lapalco, it's his 2nd album and it's just beautiful, a good mix of mellow songs, clever lyrics and catchy hooks. I think it's only about 5 in Fopp right now. The new album Alternative to Love is good but not as cheerful, think he got dumped before recording :p Jason Faulkner was in Jellyfish I think and produced Lapalco.[/quote']

Jason Faulkner was indeed in the fab popsters Jellyfish. His album Presents Author Unknown is excellent.

Aww, I forgot about that, haven't heard it for ages, I know I have it somewhere. There's an ace song called Sitting Pretty about taking a kidnapping a lass and a love song to a girl with crossed eyes.:love:

I love that guy. Did anyone see him playing at The Lemon Tree a few years ago when Lapalco came out?

Aww' date=' I forgot about that, haven't heard it for ages, I know I have it somewhere. There's an ace song called Sitting Pretty about taking a kidnapping a lass and a love song to a girl with crossed eyes.:love:

I love that guy. Did anyone see him playing at The Lemon Tree a few years ago when Lapalco came out?[/quote']

I would have loved to have seen that! The first half of one missisippi is abbey road-esque pop perfection.

I remember hearing some B Benson things and liking them enough to consider the Lemon Tree gig....wish I'd gone now.

Latest buys for me were..

Television Personalities 'My Dark Places'

Magic Carpathians Project 'Enscorpius Carpathicus'

the Cul de Sac/John Fahey one

and the new Pefkin one, 'Pingle Pangle'

Love 'em all!!!!

Aww' date=' I forgot about that, haven't heard it for ages, I know I have it somewhere. There's an ace song called Sitting Pretty about taking a kidnapping a lass and a love song to a girl with crossed eyes.:love:

I love that guy. Did anyone see him playing at The Lemon Tree a few years ago when Lapalco came out?[/quote']

I had tickets for this but was in Ireland - was gutted, especially since he's never been back! One Mississipi was cowritten with Jason Faulkner and I would highly recommend it. Lapalco is probably the most immediate of his albums but they're all well worth getting.

I may have to check him out. There's a distinct lack of summery pop songs in my MP3 player at the moment' date=' that's kinda what I'm on the lookout for at the moment, would he fit the bill do you think?[/quote']

Well you should also checkout Bellybutton and Spilt Milk by Jellyfish for some perfect pop.

Twilight Singers new album Powder Burns - awesome, playing Tuts on 7th July, I'm so there!

Jellyfish Best of - Excellent collection of tracks from 2 albums and some rare material

Preordered- Joan as Police Woman album, supporting Gulliemots in Glasgow next Saturday, should be a cracking gig! Joan's singles have been beautiful!

Grandaddy - ...Fambly Cat

Twilight Singers - Powder Burns (also going to the Tuts gig. the last 'Singers show there in 2004 was awesome)

Bill Wells - Also In White (not arrived from eBay yet)

Bjork - Debut

Prefuse 73 - Vocal Studies & Uprock Narratives

Trashcan Sinatras - A Happy Pocket

Plus a load of stuff that was now reduced to £1.99 in Virgin - Magnetic Fields, Trans Am, Hot Hot Heat, Le Tigre, Ed Harcourt and more.

Guest Phantomsmasher

Aphex Twin: Druqks

Aphex Twin: 26 Mixes for Cash

Silver Mt. Zion:

Wolf Eyes: Burnt Mind

Neurosis: A Sun that Never Sets

Venetian Snares + Speedranch split.

Guest bluesxman

Howling Bells ~ Howling Bells

Bob Dylan ~ No Direction Home:The Soundtrack

Sonic Youth ~ Sonic Nurse

Le Reno Amps ~ EPY EP