aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Saetia - A retrospective because my last copy died.

I reckon Saetia are ridiculously over rated. after about 3 songs into that cd it gets all chuggy and he just starts 'skramz-rapping'.

Just listened to that BSM sampler. Pennines sound ace! need to get my hands on some of that. Finally got a CD copy of Isis-Panopticon. That is a fantastic album.

I reckon Saetia are ridiculously over rated. after about 3 songs into that cd it gets all chuggy and he just starts 'skramz-rapping'.

you speaks the tr00f.

totally over rated band.

What I have picked up in the last few weeks:

Mouth of the architect - Quietly (Dave, get it its great)

Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things

Arab Strap - The Last Romance

Emo is Awesome, Emo is Evil comp

Big Business - Head For The Shallow

Khoma - The Second Wave

Enablers - Tundra

Eyehategod - In The Name Of Suffering

Captain Beefheart - The Spotlight Kid/Clear Spot

Slint - Slint

Zozobra - Bird Of Prey

Killing The Dream - Fractures LP

The Carrier - No Love Can Save Me 7" (FUCKING AMAZING)

Narrows - Narrows 7"

to dream of autumn - kill your cul-de-sac

Hmmm. I know it's really uncool to like them now because of all the bandwagon'ing and the indier-than-thou emo brigade, but the witching hour 7" is pretty much the definitive 'screamo' record. I know A retrospective is quite long, and there's a lot of OTT singing / lyrics (but when the lyrics aren't ridiculous, they're proper poetry - i'll challenge anyone to write anything anywhere near as good), but there are a lot of songs that have a lightness to them that so many bands have tried to recreate, only to fail miserably.

You can also see a lot Off Minor in some of their stuff, albeit ruff (corporeal is a pretty good example).

smiled that kind of icy blue smile of a noonday

reckoning, the tied together two of tell-tale pictures

i've sketched in sand castle plots and plans. similar

starting points, both for sin and shooting blanks. but

it's always the unseen sharp pang; the awkward rhythm

of the dance like a tick-tock clock in that heart of

hearts repeating, "there is no happy here, there is no

happy here..." devil may care touches trickled down

spine, thigh, and breast may never truly illuminate

the finer art of heartwork.

i was turning over with the sheets, and facing the

arched back thinking of how my eyes, half-opened,

caught her arm moving from side to side, but never to

me. it's all connected by blank words to tell empty

promises of clumsy miscommunication. so we say what we

will, to see what we may, to find a Biblical knowing

enfolded within the next few hours. it's too bad, too

tragic... i spent myself choking on the motions

leading up to said misfortune.

To simply pass them off as overrated ain't enough.

THER IS NO HAPPY HERE!11111!1111

Oh, and i recently picked up All is Well by Samamidon. I can't believe i missed this when it came out last year; such a lovely album. I've been listening to it non stop. If you like the idea of sort-of traditional folk songs mixed with more modern arrangements, woodwinds, strings, ambient noise, Bonnie Prince Billy style vocals, then this might be for you. A title tit-bit of information for you; his friend Nico Muhly put together all the classical parts of the record. Isn't that interesting?

they are very over rated. But no one said that they didn't have tunes.

I have the retrospective and really like it, however, I feel there are better bands out there. Especially at the same time, there were numerous bands who were better.

But why are they overrated? It's really easy to just throw that word around...

Who were the bands doing similar but better things?

But why are they overrated? It's really easy to just throw that word around...

Who were the bands doing similar but better things?

waifle, portraits of past. 2 absolutely brilliant bands.

Over rated because people spaff over the very sound of their name. It's the name check band for screamo. In reality, they were pretty good, just not THAT good.

waifle, portraits of past. 2 absolutely brilliant bands.

Over rated because people spaff over the very sound of their name. It's the name check band for screamo. In reality, they were pretty good, just not THAT good.

Hmmm. A band being 'overrated' is all just personal opinion. It's subjective. The fact that kids throw the name around over myspace like it's going out of fashion doesn't really bother me, and the whole "they were good...but not THAT good.." territory is pretty hazy. I'm perfectly happy stopping at the first good.

PoP are terrific, they played some unbelievebly good comeback shows in the states (just a shame YK decided not to show up). I've never really got waifle. Another in a line of bands from that era like Pg.99 that go right over my head!

A title tit-bit of information for you; his friend Nico Muhly put together all the classical parts of the record. Isn't that interesting?

interesting fact 2

we managed to catch the launch on Nico's last album, one glorious late afternoon a year past July. Was in a garden adjoining Reykjavik's premier independent record shop/label. a glorious event with a few string players from well known local bands & free wine......very lovely event it was.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Agathocles/Armatura split CD.

Extreme Noise Terror - "From One Extreme To Another" video.

Netjajev SS - "Surfside Anthems Volume 2" 7", silkscreened cover and all that.

:up:

Anyway, back to the question in hand ('what cd's have you...'). My missus, recently bought the new Weezer album (fuck knows what it's called). Have to say I'm not a fan. Apparently Weezer albulms 'grow on you' (like fungus?). Quite liked the likes of Make Believe and Pinkerton (though as band they've never really been my cup of tea!), but this new one just felt like one of those albums that been put together to fulfill contract obligations. Am I missing something with this one, 'cause the girlfriend loves this album!