aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

I review for Is This Music? (is this music?).
Now for another piece of north-eastern wizardry. Debutant is Phillip Quirie (some reviewer for some website, or something), whose music ignores genres altogether, sounding something like what would happen if Mark Kozelek and Kevin Shields had an afternoon, a spare room and a multitude of ideas. Definitely worth checking out live, try him at Henry’s Cellar in Edinburgh on 1st August when he shares a formidable bill with Meursault, Je Suis Animal and Come In Tokyo. Or anywhere else he’s playing, for that matter.

More like advertising / arse-licking though really, isn't it?

Wouldn't surprise me if you wrote this too.

take me to the shop! //27 February 2008

Copy Haho / Toy / everythingwesayisfact

Aberdeen The Tunnels (Saturday 23rd February '08)

Guitarist Euan Davidson declines to face the crowd, preferring a sideways approach with frequent glances at his drummer, Conor MacLean. This sums up their approach to song-writing; opting for slightly more skewed guitar-lines over the top of pounding drums, which frequently steal the show with frenetic bombastic bursts.

And the reviewing doesn't sound that enviable:

Jaguar Love - Take Me To The Sea

Sebadoh - Harmacy

Pavement - Terror Twilight

Elliot Smith - XO

Triple School - =2

and a bunch of not so good stuff to review.

Wouldn't surprise me if you wrote this too.

take me to the shop! //27 February 2008

Copy Haho / Toy / everythingwesayisfact

Aberdeen The Tunnels (Saturday 23rd February '08)

And the reviewing doesn't sound that enviable:

The all important question is: why the fuck does it matter to you?

Because I have a similar interest and would like to know what motivates people to put their names to such things. Here is an example of good criticism. I'll add that this column has been running for years in one of the UK's most prestigious papers:

But there’s a bigger character problem for The Tudors, possibly the biggest character problem known to historical drama, a catastrophic part malfunction: Sam Neill. I assume Neill is in this thing because his agent has photographs of the producers in a safe, or perhaps because Americans want to see at least one face they recognise. Neill’s presence makes this Tudorassic Park. Now, I have a large and squidgy soft spot for him: he is about as far away from being an actor as it’s possible to be and appear on screen at the same time. He has really only one expression, a look of worried incomprehension, as if his face were trying to fathom how on earth it managed to end up in front of a camera yet again. It’s a look he shares with his audience. Neill’s career arc is proof, not only that lightning can strike twice, but that it can strike repeatedly without ever illuminating anything. It was a pleasure to watch him stumble through the lines as if they were an Urdu shopping list, bereft of punctuation, and regard the rest of the cast with the groggy incomprehension of a man coming round from minor surgery in a room full of someone else’s relatives.

AA Gill's TV reviews

So who wrote the Copy Haho / Toy review?

Because I have a similar interest and would like to know what motivates people to put their names to such things. Here is an example of good criticism. I'll add that this column has been running for years in one of the UK's most prestigious papers:

AA Gill's TV reviews

So who wrote the Copy Haho / Toy review?

Phillip Quirie wrote it, it says at the end of the review.

I've never claimed to be an amazing writer, all I mentioned was that I got sent some CDs to review.

[...] 09:07 There is a review of the three local bands if you click here: is this music? Copy Haho / Toy / everythingwesayisfact Just a pity they got the reviewer’s name wrong. [...]

Assuming that's been changed, but the fact is, that it's a logical enough step - given your seemingly ambiguous journo values - to assume you wrote it yourself. I don't really consider bigging your pals up up to be valuable work experience. That's just playing around really; pretty disrespectful to anyone who reads it and naturally takes it as uncorrupted opinion. Pretty disrespectful to ask a reader 'why the fuck does it matter to you?' aswell.

Quite ironic that you're in a band called 'everythingwesayisfact'.

Assuming that's been changed, but the fact is, that it's a logical enough step - given your seemingly ambiguous journo values - to assume you wrote it yourself. I don't really consider bigging your pals up up to be valuable work experience. That's just playing around really; pretty disrespectful to anyone who reads it and naturally takes it as uncorrupted opinion. Pretty disrespectful to ask a reader 'why the fuck does it matter to you?' aswell.

Quite ironic that you're in a band called 'everythingwesayisfact'.

So your aguement with him is, that he likes Debutants music, and that someone else wrote a good review about them.

Many people become mates through enjoying each others music. Ever though of that?