aberdeen-music

Nathan Barley

Alvin Starclusk

Sorry to drag up a 9 month old thread' date=' but I just sat and watched the whole series: its fucking ace!

It works on loads of levels - yes Barley is a twat, but he's actually not a bad bloke. And Dan is more intelligent, but deep down he's an idiot too, and a bit of a vicious cunt (as witnessed in the final episode), so it's not as black and white as "Barley bad, Dan Good".

Scissor/Cat interface, Barleys "rap", underage sex and Pingu jumping out the window are highlights.....[/quote']

That's well coincimental. I've just watched the entire series as well, and I love it more than ever. Works much better as a DVD, as you can watch Nathan becoming more and more pathetic as the series wears on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nathan barley is nothing compared to the boosh, but its still really good.

i got the dvd and watched it the whole way through like Alvin Starclusk said above.

its one of those things you need to get into to enjoy. much like the boosh, when most people see it for the first time their like "what the fuck?" but i'll see them a few month later and they love it!

I was quite dissapointed by nathan barley i know what chris morris was trying to achieve

but the same joke is repeated too many times ...

you should check out this web site though!!!

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/portal.php

try living near shoreditch' date=' the joke is repeated every minute.

and, I live next door to the character, who thinks it's cool to play drill n bass at 4 am so loud, planes are drowned out...because he doesn't have a job, as mummy n daddy pay for his 500 quid a week flat.

lest we all forget, Nathan Barley is a creation of TV Go Home, and in that, he's far more unlikeable ("a cunt"), than a simple trendoid moron.

[url']http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1513423.stm

(the website, is sadly no more)

Yeah, definitely going to buy the DVD at Christmas time.

When first on I liked parts of it, but wasn't too sure on the whole, but it seems a hell of a lot funnier now on repeated viewing.

Working as a journalist, I empathise greatly with the character arc of Ashcroft, starting with his high-minded noble intentions above his peers, but being beaten down and compromising himself until he's more of an idiot than Barley himself. Well, that's my perspective anyway, and a lot of it rings true.

TVgohome was ace, I do half-wish that they'd replicated the sheer vicious awfulness of Barley is that website, although I do like the comical buffoon Barley was in the series. You can see all his entries from the website in the DVD, which is a great extra.

Working as a journalist' date=' I empathise greatly with the character arc of Ashcroft, starting with his high-minded noble intentions above his peers, but being beaten down and compromising himself until he's more of an idiot than Barley himself. Well, that's my perspective anyway, and a lot of it rings true.[/quote']

he's already an idiot, as is proved when he goes for the "wine job" in the sunday magazine...he just thinks he is better than the idiots around him.

he's already an idiot' date=' as is proved when he goes for the "wine job" in the sunday magazine...he just thinks he is better than the idiots around him.[/quote']

Yeah, that and him getting drunk and getting enthusiastically involved in 'cock muff bumhole'... I'm constantly tempted to learn that game, but am too worried about whether it'd make me an idiot by trying to be ironic.

Actually' date=' if you read what Popcorn Fiend wrote, it all looks a bit like an admission...[/quote']

Well, I haven't been reduced to going undercover for straight-on-straight sex, but I do remember thinking when writing about a thimble exhibition that it wasn't quite what I had in mind when I decided to become a journalist. The opening line 'Thumbs up for a thimble exhibition!' haunts me to this day...

• 1 year later...
Guest Steven Dedalus
Ok, I'm a year and a half behind but just got this on DVD after seeing a few clips posted here and it's fucking brilliant. Only 6 episodes on the DVD, is there more? It's totally fucking Mexico.

I heard that Channel 4 have commisioned a second series of it, but that's not been confirmed.

I actually watched the entire series today, inspired by a recent 'chat' with Stripey. It was the first time I'd seen it since it first came out on DVD. I have decided that I'm more like Dan than I thought I was. And I was actually involved in a publically humiliating 'Preacher Man' style incident not so long ago. Although I haven't, to the best of my knowledge, wanked anyone off in a public toilet.

But then again, the magazine I write for is about to have a re-design, and they need more content.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Well, I haven't been reduced to going undercover for straight-on-straight sex, but I do remember thinking when writing about a thimble exhibition that it wasn't quite what I had in mind when I decided to become a journalist. The opening line 'Thumbs up for a thimble exhibition!' haunts me to this day...

Damn you, Subsisty! (For saying the same thing as me, only several years earlier)

Two terrible things I have written:

1. 'Melodies so haunting, that even the Ghostbusters would have trouble with them.'

2. ' ...a version of Radiohead's 'No Surpises' (which was anything but!)'

And both of them got published. I'm an idiot.

Despite being a Morris fan I've never seen Nathan Barley. The DVD is never remotely cheap. Does anyone know a place I can get it cheap?

(Cheap = less than a tenner)

It was in HMV for a tenner a while ago.

It is quite good, but a note of caution: everyone bangs on about it being a Chris Morris vehicle, I think the writing is far more representative of Charlie Brooker (it was his character, mind).

Guest Steven Dedalus

the tip here is that the whole thing is on youtube, which is where I watched it from.

Just do a search on Nathan Barley, and eventually you will come accross the entire series, with every episode broken into three segments.

Fried gold.

Despite being a Morris fan I've never seen Nathan Barley. The DVD is never remotely cheap. Does anyone know a place I can get it cheap?

(Cheap = less than a tenner)

I have to say I thought Nathan Barley was the poorest thing Chris Morris has been involved in. I just found it annoying more than anything else.