aberdeen-music

SNES vs Megadrive

Sam 45

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those that care (anyone left?) SNES all the way

kudos to mario world (the first one not the mucho overated sequel) starwing, mario kart, PLOK!!, Clayfighters (better than both mortal kombat and street fighter :p) and the sadly unloved spiderman and x-men (ok actually that last one was shite)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Although i still stand by my decision of the SNES.. Streets of Rage for the Megadrive is unbeatable

Pretty much my view on it. Streets of Rage was average, you must mean Streets of Rage 2, what a belter of a game that is, to finish off Mr.X with Max's backbreaker is an almost erotic moment. Ah!

"Mucho over-rated sequel"? Have you actually played it? In terms of standard sequel formulamore of the same' date=' just bigger and betterI suppose you could say it was a let-down. But it was more of a spiritual sequel to the first: not a open-ended, granted, but gorgeous in every other respect. Has throwing eggs ever been so much fun?[/quote']

well i wouldnt comment on it unless i had actually played it at some point or another...i remeber being a kid, being ever so excited getting it (paying a hugely overpriced 50 quid may i add, which even nowe is a fortune let alone when your a 11 year old kid), taking it home, playing the first level....an hour later switching it off in dismay...im sorry but its soooooo inferior to the original in just about every way (if we forget graphics and the like for a moment)....given the choice between throwing the eggs at the oh so easy bosses or going to that weird ass special world in the first one and flighing around with the mighty blue yoshi id go with the original every time :p

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Bollocks to this! Best console EVER was the ZX Spectrum!

Treasure Island Dizzy was almost impossible to complete

You sure? I thought it was a doddle, personally. Well, as long as you knew about that ridiculously well-hidden gold coin in the treehouse complex. And the one behind the clump of mushrooms. And the one behind the window. And the.... actually, point taken!

Guest Logan
i THINK i maybe used a blue yoshi' date=' and just flew over the level, though yoshi made it possible to jump on all the chainsaws - a cape was needed for proper manueaverability[/quote']

Hmm, there aren't any koopa's to eat to make the Blue Yoshi fly til the very end of the level. But you're right, what you needed to do was have a cape, and a yoshi and jump on the chainsaws. There's a pipe near the top of the start of the level, you pretty much had to fly from the start and bounce yourself off the chainsaws up to it. Took me ages to fine tune it.

Did I mention I have a file with every exit completed by just Luigi! His game is slightly different.

You'd be surprised on what people will comment on without having experienced. Granted' date=' [i']Yoshi's Island was much easier than SMW, but that doesn't make it any less worthwhile or fun. But the play mechanic was totally intuitive and an absolute joy to play, and the game was bursting with beautiful little touches. (Yoshicopter, anyone?)

ok granted the yoshicopter was actually really cool :D

my goodness, what a silly debate. i have and will always be a nintendo boy, the snes is just great , period.

with soo many great games, i noticed noone has mentioned a little game called "super tennis" my oh my i loved that game , not as much as my mum though surprisingly.

Granted the mega drive had its moments, but the snes outshone it in a thousand ways, plus the mega drive only had three buttons right? what was the deal with that? no shoulder buttons... pfft!

I love both of the consoles and still play them both till this day...but...the snes is obviously far superior to the MD. compare the games that were released on both consoles...for example "street fighter II", on the MD it was slow, the sound sucked and if u didnt have a 6 button controller u had to press start to switch between punch and kick, how crap is that?

Dont even get me started on mortal kombat.