aberdeen-music

Moshulu bows down to dress code pressure

Flik

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read it is this:

1) A sign on the door stating the policy will make it easier for the doorstaff to exclude groups of these people. If several members of a group are into the same sort of music, their dress sense will tend more towards the image percieved with that music. I doubt if 4 or more guys in full ned gear will be in there for the music.

2) People on their own or small groups dressed as such shouldn't be refused if they are coherent.

3) People known to the doorstaff, and people with ''appropriately' dressed friends wouldn't be refused.

I think that's the gist of what Moshulu are saying.

If so, it's perfectly reasonable to me. The management think they have a problem and this small measure is what they're doing to address it.

Remember that the staff walk round more than you so see more, don't drink on duty so remember more, don't dance or get involved in meaningful conversations so don't miss much.

Exactly Ian,

I wouldn't suggest it is even a big problem at the moment, what we have had is:

A guy spitting a big greenie on the bartop next to me - Out

A guy trying to buy Coke off Flik - Out

A guy writing Graffiti upstairs - Out

Twice obvious pill heads gurning - Out

And that's about it, compare that record over 3 months with Liquid, Jumpin Jacks, Ministry, Priory, Bex, etc etc and I think it holds up well. All we were ever talking about was classic hardcore pissed up Neds anyway, and I wish Flik had never posted it at all now.

Still, live and learn

The sign at the door is an idea, but I feel it would probably provoke people further, a simple - 'it's not your thing tonight mate' usually suffices.

Originally posted by Flik

Happy 18th Brithday:kiss:

:laughing: Hehe top class Flik!!

[rant]The type of people this is trying to exclude are people like the pill-head that was dancing about at the start of the night last Thursday. He couldn't have know he was being thrown out, purely because didn't know where he was in the first place. People like that are dangerous and would spoil a lot of people' night if they are just left, on the basis that some people think it's 'unfair' to kick him out. If you think it's unfair, go over and speak to one, just watch out for the fist/bottle/knife/needle, and don't come running to me.[/rant]

Altness (if by that you mean Alternative) may or may not be next to godliness, but it is EXACTLY what we provide. An alternative music scene. Until this thread went up, all I ever heard about neds in Moshulu was complaints. All of a sudden everyone's found a nice politcal debate, whereas before everyone was quick to condem the very people we are trying to filter from the crowds. The neds who cause trouble. Shall we just let them all in, drugs, fighting and nedness in all it's glory and leave it at that then?

It's not just so called 'neds' that cause problems though!!!!! many 'alternative' kiddies are also just as big arseholes..... you get arseholes wherever you go. And I don't really think moshulu has a problem with 'neds'.

And I hardly think moshulu has a great deal of trouble anyway (well, i've never seen much)...... I think this has all been blown out of proportion, as you mentioned before, it's up to the people on the door to make sure the people you guys don't want in the place don't get in.

Although, I don't think it's wise to start piegon holing people and possibly alienating a number of people or groups who attend moshulu regularly. Then you'll be left with a half empty club on a friday instead of a full one.

as i said before, it's all common sense (in my opinion anyway)

surely this debate is a good thing though?

It's a debate which we can't win.

Flik and I are are talking about a tiny minority of people, who have never been let in here and never will be. Not only that, they would not be let into any club/bar in Aberdeen run by half sane managers or Doorstaff. However, as I said before, It's good fun to argue and if that means assuming people mean something completely different then so be it. I understood at first when perhaps Flik didn't make it abundantly clear what he meant, but I think I have made the point as clearly as I could.

Tell you what Johnny, come work a shift with me one night, you can be the aberdeen-music representative and post your views on how the club is run.

Rob.

Just having read this read at this time in the morning, and I can't stop myself from replying from a *personal* standpoint about the general concept of not allowing certain types of people in.

Firstly, i've never been in Moshulu, so I don't know what goes on inside there, I can only go from what i've been told and what people say about the place. I don't have any link with the place (unless you count the regular saturday night visits to Henry J's), so I can only really go on what's been said and done. I've also never worked in a bar, so it really is going on personal experience as a member of the public.

It's painfully apparent to me what Flik and Rob are trying to say is that they aren't allowing the type of person who wears your average 'casual' uniform, on the grounds that this type of person is more likely to cause trouble than most others.

I've personally seen people in my usual dive (the cotton club, solely for the cheap drink and destruction of songs on karaoke) dressed like your typical casual, starting fights and generally causing trouble. I've had to gang up with some friends to stop some guy dressed like that threatening a girl I know, and it's not unknown to usually get hassle off that type of person if you're in any way different (anyone that knows me can say that i'm generic and small, so i don't tend to attract much attention), yet i've had it in the past off little fuckers wearing exactly what they're talking about.

Conversely, i've had problems off the 'alternative' brigade too, but that wasn't the physical assault kind - that was of the 'we're better than you' kind. That doesn't cause trouble (after all, it's their opinion), and from the vast majority of alternative people, they're usually just a bit suspicious to begin with, but fine afterwards (this is just my personal opinion, don't shoot me :p).

If there was any kind of elitism on Moshulu's part towards the 'casual' type of person, do you not think that they would have had a policy for a while and not just starting now? It's obviously been done with a bit of feedback, and I think where people might possibly getting confused is that being dressed is a subjective thing. I understand that they may not allow entry to someone who wears a burberry cap, one of those awful Henry Lloyd jumpers, black jeans and rockports - but what happens if that policy gets interpreted the wrong way one night and they refuse entry to someone like me, who tends to wear shoes, jeans and a shirt? That's the problem as I see it, the potential grey area between one of these idiotic casuals who go to Liquid and start a fight/etc and someone who's just out in town normally. I know nothing about the bouncers in Moshulu, so i can't comment as to whether it's a problem or not.

At the end of the day, if it means banning a certain type of social group in order to create peace in the club, so be it. It's nice they've set the rules out clearly, rather than the majority of places which have no set definition of what's allowed and what's not, outside of the usual 'no trainers on fridays and saturdays' rule. Just so long as it doesn't end up being applied to people who are dressed generically so that they'll get in most places, it's not a big deal.

And uh, final point...it seems all Moshulu's doing is clarifying something that wasn't set in stone, so to speak.

Originally posted by Moshulu Rob

It's a debate which we can't win.

Flik and I are are talking about a tiny minority of people, who have never been let in here and never will be. Not only that, they would not be let into any club/bar in Aberdeen run by half sane managers or Doorstaff. However, as I said before, It's good fun to argue and if that means assuming people mean something completely different then so be it. I understood at first when perhaps Flik didn't make it abundantly clear what he meant, but I think I have made the point as clearly as I could.

Tell you what Johnny, come work a shift with me one night, you can be the aberdeen-music representative and post your views on how the club is run.

Rob.

OOOO OOO can i do that PLEASEEEEEEEE!!!

Rob.

no problem at all, I will easily do that one night.

I agree with what you are saying though.... maybe your side of the argument wasn't put accross to clearly at the start, but hey, at least this has been a good debate. :dunce:

When I came to Aberdeen, I had high hopes that I would get away from the clique-based, small-town mentality and meet open-minded, interesting people. Ever since my music taste developed to include "alt" styles, I'd desperately wanted a rock-club to go to where I could be free of people judging me by my appearance and where I could just be myself.

I used to think Moshulu was that place, but now I'm not so sure.

With a dress-code, are you really any better than the Priory or the Ministry?

I'd have to agree. Call me naive, but I always thought that one of the best things of being part of the alt crowd is that people are far more accepting of people, you've got your punks, goths, emo, and people like me, who are pretty middle of the road and the great thing is (or was) that you could strike up a conversation with anyone in moshulu and meet all kinda of people.

By all means have a dress code (keep it simple, just say 'dark colours and no sportswear' or something) and that's enough. You guys (in general, not just Flik and Moshulu Rob) seem to be a little too protective of Moshulu. It's just a club gyus, if you don't want to talk to some people in there, then don't, but I can't believe that ypu'd be so narrow minded and shallow as to judge people on their clothes.

Originally posted by Rob Karloff

I wasn't arguing. I was trying to make a point, and that point being that "tarring with the same brush" is a very blinkered way to do things. I look at people based on their attitude and actions, not on what their perceived social group generally does. Ergo, if someone in Burberry is civil and good-natured to me, then I'll quite happily engage them. Conversely, if someone attempts to fuck me around, burberry *or* flamed cap, they'll receive a sharpened response. At the end of the day it's your deal, and if you want a dress-code and only a certain clientele, you'll have it.

Also, I never stated you were a racist, nor did I imply it. I made the assertion that racism was discrimination based on a kind of appearence, and suggested that the basic premise of discrimination should be un-justifiable. A world where you are taken on your individual character, actions and abilities, rather than outward appearence, would be much better place to travel life in....

Rob I completely agree about judging people on appearance from a personal point of view, although I hope you would agree that with up to 800 people through the door on a Friday, you sometimes have to make quick decisions, for what you hope is the general good of the club and it's guests. Yes that may mean you occasionally make the wrong call, but it's only a night club, I'm not deciding on whether someone gets a liver transplant. I think that if on balance you generally get it right (and I believe we do) then that's all you can do.

I appreciate you weren't calling me a racist or even implying it, I jumped the gun a little because It's one of my personal hatreds. I apologise.

Rob

Guest MerryChristmas

Unless you look exactly like this

neds.jpg

You'll be fine.

And we never even suggested anything as ridiculous as Black clothing and no sportswear.

Guy's, nothings changed.

correctly linked image:dunce:

neds.jpg

lol

'I'm afraid you're being rather nave; I've found people in Moshulu no more welcoming than those anywhere else. They judge me immediately on my clothes, and as I don't fall into any specific "alt" category I'm deemed not worth speaking to, as do people in "mainstream" bars and clubs'- Sky

I've never had a problem, maybe it's just you :p

but really i suppse it does depend on the night and the crown you're with

Guest Jay Johnson

i think the general thing going on here is that people wanna see less neds in their altrernative club! So ban the fuckers, right? wrong guys they are fun to target in the pits well for me anyway but hell what do i know i'm the mother fucker you all wanna hate cause i fuck you up in the pit!!

anyway there are plaenty of pretencious mother fucker "rockers" in moshulu,you wanna be scum bags!! you lot are just as bad as a white trainered skin tight jean burboury cap wearing ned!!!

peace guys.

Originally posted by Jay Johnson

i think the general thing going on here is that people wanna see less neds in their altrernative club! So ban the fuckers, right? wrong guys they are fun to target in the pits well for me anyway but hell what do i know i'm the mother fucker you all wanna hate cause i fuck you up in the pit!!

Uh, after reading your posts and stuff, just how old are you? You don't go about 'targetting' people in pits, and you don't try and 'fuck people up' in the pits either. If that's your attitude towards them, you have some serious growing up to do. I don't care for pits, but the one thing I've always understood about them is that everyone looks after one another, regardless of the intensity of said pit.

And..I wouldn't go about putting about that you're the baddest motherfucker to ever go in one - there's always going to be someone who's just as capable of leaving you for dead..remeber that.

(and re : your other thread. I don't care who the fuck you are - you're a nobody to me, and i'm judging you on what you post.)

*applause* in fact *standing fucking ovation*

There is and has always been an unwritten code in the pit. Cloud has the exact mature outlook on mosh pits that's missing with the new generation of moshers.

And Jay is 22. Old enough to know better, really.