aberdeen-music

Elvis walks to the title of 1000th Uk Number 1

Ross

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be better for the 1000th Number 1 to represent what was currently popular rather than an undoubtedly talented bloke' date=' but ultimately a dead one. Dead for 27 years. Where's the relevence to the 1000th number 1 in that?[/quote']

Well it kinda seems fitting that the guy who is the biggest rock star of all time some would say gets it.

Cheers

Stuart

Well it kinda seems fitting that the guy who is the biggest rock star of all time some would say gets it.

I don't agree, I think it would be more fitting if a contemporary artist got the 1000th number one and not a wide-spread reissue campaign. Elvis was a phenomenal artist of his time who, whilst alive, got to number one a record number of times. I just don't see the relevence of a reissue campaign topping what are supposed to be charts indicative of current popular music. Scanning the last 999 number ones shows the transitional fads and phases that pop music has gone through in the last 50 odd years, I can't help but feel Elvis at 1000 proves nothing.

I don't agree' date=' I think it would be more fitting if a contemporary artist got the 1000th number one and not a wide-spread reissue campaign. Elvis was a phenomenal artist of his time who, whilst alive, got to number one a record number of times. I just don't see the relevence of a reissue campaign topping what are supposed to be charts indicative of current popular music. Scanning the last 999 number ones shows the transitional fads and phases that pop music has gone through in the last 50 odd years, I can't help but feel Elvis at 1000 proves nothing.[/quote']

The only things the charts are indicitive is of who sells the most singles, I mean Mike Flowers Pop and Mr Blobby getting to number one didn't show that music was going in the direction of pink rubber men or easy listening, just that people bought most of them that week. Elvis getting to number 1 now shows that he is probably the most popular artist of all time and someone who can still outsell any other artist almost 20 years after his death. Whjat gets to number onew in reality has little to do with the way music is at a speciufic time, just what is hyped or captures people's imagination. In no way can the Band Aid single be indicitive of the musical trend at he time, iy just caught a moment of people wanting to support a charity...

Cheers

Stuart

The only things the charts are indicitive is of who sells the most singles' date=' I mean Mike Flowers Pop and Mr Blobby getting to number one didn't show that music was going in the direction of pink rubber men or easy listening, just that people bought most of them that week. Elvis getting to number 1 now shows that he is probably the most popular artist of all time and someone who can still outsell any other artist almost 20 years after his death. Whjat gets to number onew in reality has little to do with the way music is at a speciufic time, just what is hyped or captures people's imagination. In no way can the Band Aid single be indicitive of the musical trend at he time, iy just caught a moment of people wanting to support a charity...

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I'd say that Band Aid was more indicative of the time than Elvis now, given that all the contributing artists are currently releasing music that's doing well in the charts. I'm not for a minute dissing the King, his contribution to music is fantastic, but I think that this 1000th single thing is less about his musical contribution and more about SonyBMG raking in profits from an extensive re-release of his back catalogue. Again, if you look at the type of songs getting to number in context they make sense, Mr Blobby was a charity record based on a popular character of the time - If Mr Blobby was released now, when only a select audience remember who he was, then it would be totally irrelevent.

Sure, people may not view The Killers or the Manics as being anywhere near as influential as Elvis but they are actively releasing, making and being influenced by events and music now - Which to me is what the charts should be about.

I'd say that Band Aid was more indicative of the time than Elvis now' date=' given that all the contributing artists are currently releasing music that's doing well in the charts. I'm not for a minute dissing the King, his contribution to music is fantastic, but I think that this 1000th single thing is less about his musical contribution and more about SonyBMG raking in profits from an extensive re-release of his back catalogue. Again, if you look at the type of songs getting to number in context they make sense, Mr Blobby was a charity record based on a popular character of the time - If Mr Blobby was released now, when only a select audience remember who he was, then it would be totally irrelevent.

Sure, people may not view The Killers or the Manics as being anywhere near as influential as Elvis but they are actively releasing, making and being influenced by events and music now - Which to me is what the charts should be about.[/quote']

Actually Blobby wasn't a charity single, the money went to Noel Edmonds and the BBC.

Cheers

Stuart

Elvis was a great singer but this number One's thing means nothing for a few reasons:

- The singles chart is now more meaningless than ever

- There have been over a hundred of Elvis singles released over the years so proportionally he's bound to have a high number of noumber 1s

- The record company is the only winner, as ever, with their deceased artists catalogue.

- New talent takes a back seat again for a reissue.

Thaty's probably the best thing to happen to the charts for a long time. Elvis at number one and the Manics at number two. Two of my all time favourites.

All the Elvis doubters can only but look at the facts, he's long dead and still topping the charts. When private-schooled whining filth like Keane and Coldplay and the baggy-trousered Topman rock of the Lost Prophets are kept off the top by Elvis Presley, when he's lying dead and buried in his velvet-lined coffin, content in the knowledge that he not only created Rock and Roll music but the whole image of Rock and Roll aswell...life is good.

Next to Frank Sinatra, Elvis was the best thing to happen to music ever. He came to save us all from Glenn Miller. You wouldn't have your synchronised guitar-jumps and on-stage "rocking-out" if Elvis hadn't had the balls to shake things up. No-one seems to realise how controversial Rock and Roll was in it's time, far more earth-shattering than the Pistols on Bill Grundy or Marilyn Manson's mini-Nuremberg shows. That's why he's still relevant.

And so what if he got fat towards the end of his life, he did more for the development of music than anyone I can think of, so he can eat a Bengali Tiger every day if he wants too, it doesn't make a difference.

John Lennon said something along the lines of "Before Elvis there was nothing", which was wrong there was Sinatra, but in respect to modern guitar music there wasn't.

I don't think Elvis would give less of a shit really, what with the state of our charts... Eamon and the likes profaning out television sets and 7 o'clock. The fact of the matter here is that Elvis' record company is still profiting from his music. They don't deserve it. Maybe I haven't researched this much, but surely this whole "Elvis is King" thing is just a ploy to sell more records. Why not buy another record? It would keep current artists who can actually MAKE music in the business.

Thaty's probably the best thing to happen to the charts for a long time. Elvis at number one and the Manics at number two. Two of my all time favourites.

All the Elvis doubters can only but look at the facts' date=' he's long dead and still topping the charts. When private-schooled whining filth like Keane and Coldplay and the baggy-trousered Topman rock of the Lost Prophets are kept off the top by Elvis Presley, when he's lying dead and buried in his velvet-lined coffin, content in the knowledge that he not only created Rock and Roll music but the whole image of Rock and Roll aswell...life is good.

Next to Frank Sinatra, Elvis was the best thing to happen to music ever. He came to save us all from Glenn Miller. You wouldn't have your synchronised guitar-jumps and on-stage "rocking-out" if Elvis hadn't had the balls to shake things up. No-one seems to realise how controversial Rock and Roll was in it's time, far more earth-shattering than the Pistols on Bill Grundy or Marilyn Manson's mini-Nuremberg shows. That's why he's still relevant.

And so what if he got fat towards the end of his life, he did more for the development of music than anyone I can think of, so he can eat a Bengali Tiger every day if he wants too, it doesn't make a difference.

John Lennon said something along the lines of "Before Elvis there was nothing", which was wrong there was Sinatra, but in respect to modern guitar music there wasn't.[/quote']

That would like to appreciate the sharp wit but it's completely irrelevant. The Manic Street Preachers perhaps deserve this but Elvis' record company certianly doesn't. What you've responded with there is some sort of pleading sentimental drivel.

They don't deserve it. Maybe I haven't researched this much' date=' but surely this whole "Elvis is King" thing is just a ploy to sell more records.

Why not buy another record? It would keep current artists who can actually MAKE music in the business.[/quote']

How on Earth could the phrase "Elvis is King" be a ploy to sell more records, that's like the saying the crux of the Beatles success was the fact they were called the "Fab Four". Elvis is referred to as "The King" as he, as much as can be credited, invented Rock and Roll. He walked into the studio in 1954 and sang a mix of Gospel, Country and Rockabilly, mixed black and white music and created something new and it became Rock and Roll. And from that sound we got the Beatles, then the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Sex Pistols, Nirvana...and all the stuff you listen to today. Elvis is the "Big Bang" in the world of Rock music.

Buying his single instead of the Lost Prophets or some other piss shows respect to the fact that if Elvis hadn't recorded the music he had you wouldn't have the music we listen to today.

Download "Trouble" by the man himself, Punk-Rock 20 years before safety-pins were cool.

Fin.

Guest stuartmaxwell

Cheers

Stuart

huh?when did Radio Lucifer storm the charts?

Very interesting, yet still sentimental and out of touch with anyone here I would assume. People here are more likely wanting to hear new music. "Jaihouse Rock" has been on everyone's radio before and it's been overplayed. By re-releasing his singles it seems to provoke the idea that no-one has made better music than Elvis since his reign, hence the smug assertion that he'll get the number one spot. I don't think Elvis' music deserves such acclaim nowadays. I believe, perhaps, that if a greatest hits album with his singles went to the number one spot it would be fair. But there is other music out there struggling to be recognised whilst our charts are polluted, not only now by Topman rock and uneccesarily profane "R&B" or rap, but with the overly-sentimental mush for Elvis' re-released singles.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less because I know that if Elvis' singles weren't re-released his place would probably be taken by a re-re-mix of "Call on Me". Even though this is the case I don't like to think that it's in people's minds that Elvis made better music than those who are making it today (I refer not to Franz Ferdinand or Snow Patrol but the much more raw talent of Bright Eyes or, say, the Libertines. These people pour their hearts into music and they don't get recognised for it.) I guess I'm saying that this Elvis thing is just pretentious drivel.