aberdeen-music

Boys at Albyn.

Jenni.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that schools based on sexual segregation still exist. What is the point? Also I ought to add, that almost everyone I know who went to a private school *coughGLEN ALMOND*cough* ended up with severe mental problems and most normal people would refer to them as "cunts".

It's quite funny that parents will spend all that money sending their kid to a school like that, and they still come out the other side as ignorant twats.

My Mum and Dad could of put me to private school if they wanted but they decided against it (good choice) I didnt work at all because I found school boring. Still went on to have a good job etc. Paying X thousand per year wouldnt of made a blind bit of difference in my case however if I have kids that are hard working and talented I would pay for a private education.

My Mum and Dad could of put me to private school if they wanted but they decided against it (good choice) I didnt work at all because I found school boring. Still went on to have a good job etc. Paying X thousand per year wouldnt of made a blind bit of difference in my case however if I have kids that are hard working and talented I would pay for a private education.

What's the chances of you having kids that are talented tho Hog ;)

I would send my kids to private school, if i could afford it - i'd like not to have to but i do think the standard of teaching in general is a lot higher.

Cheers

Stuart

What's the chances of you having kids that are talented tho Hog ;)

I would send my kids to private school' date=' if i could afford it - i'd like not to have to but i do think the standard of teaching in general is a lot higher.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Some of the teachers yes... but my reason for it would be there are often more people who want to learn in a private school, making it easier to knuckle down and work when there are less folk actually mucking about and trying to distract you...

But maybe that's just me...

Some of the teachers yes... but my reason for it would be there are often more people who want to learn in a private school' date=' making it easier to knuckle down and work when there are less folk actually mucking about and trying to distract you...

But maybe that's just me...[/color']

I think teaching wise Gordons has improved a hell of a lot since i was there for example getting rid of people like Beaky Morton etc. I'm not sure its as simple as people wanting to work harder i think it may have a lot to do with the ability to punish and potentially exclude much more easily. aaah the number of times i was on my last warning at that school :p

Cheers

Stuart

Guest tv tanned

Pretty much the same as me, barring the bit about sending my kids to a private school.

My parents were encouraged to send me to Gordons but refused. Maybe I'd have ended up a bit brighter and gone to Oxbridge, but frankly I'm happy the way things ended up.

I wouldn't pay to send my kids anywhere though.

I went to Albyn and really enjoyed it. Although I don't have anything to compare it to since I was there from primary 1 to 6th year, I'm pretty sure it was the right choice for me. Before I went to Albyn, I was very very shy and wouldn't talk to people but the small classes and all female environment helped to bring me out of my little shell and I think I'm quite normal now, and not a lesbian or a whore.

I guess going co-ed will either make or break the school. Since Gordons started taking girls, Albyn has been on a downward spiral, although only noticeably so in the last 5 years, when at one point there were only 7 pupils in primary 1. The obvious solution would have been to merge with St Margaret's but no one seemed happy with that idea. So who knows, maybe taking boys into Albyn will increase the school's population or maybe the last few pupils who joined solely because of the single sex environment will fuck off the Bobby G's.

I will watch with interest.

PRIVATE SCHOOLS SUCK.

went to Albyn for 2 years, didnt like it coz it was full of girls, and they didnt like me coz i wanted to play like a little boy.

gordons sucked coz i had no way of being intelligent when i spent most of my classes retaliating against the bullies.. booo

all (all 300 of them) of my kids are goin to state schools, and if they want to work for a good life they can, and they won't be doin it due to mummy and daddy forcin them 'coz we pay so much for a good education, u better goddamn go to uni u cunt*'

*not actual word, but sounded better :up:

I miss Gordons' date=' but i can't help but feel that i was merely filling a seat for however-thousand-pounds a year... oh well, a wasted 6th year was not a 6th year wasted. :up:

It was a good school, but there were a lot of rich tossers who drove big new fast cars (mostly the Ford Focus Zetec), but most of them crashed them anyway...

Bob[/quote']

Perfect Dark and poptarts in the common room ayyyyye ;)

If we were gonna waste 6th year, that was definitely the best way to waste it.

Some of the teachers yes... but my reason for it would be there are often more people who want to learn in a private school' date=' making it easier to knuckle down and work when there are less folk actually mucking about and trying to distract you...

But maybe that's just me...[/color']

i'm with you on this one. there was a lot of pressure to be brainy, possibly because the year groups were so small and there were very few people who didn't get good grades so if you didn't you'd be kind of outcast. they tried bringing boys into albyn before and only 1 came, for like a term of something. if they do actually manage to make it co-ed, i'd hope they still keep class sizes as small as they are because that's one of the things i benefitted from. i think they should keep it single sex though, because boys were enough of a distraction outside of school for not only myself, but for the majority of my year group.

I guess going co-ed will either make or break the school. Since Gordons started taking girls' date=' Albyn has been on a downward spiral, although only noticeably so in the last 5 years, when at one point there were only 7 pupils in primary 1. The obvious solution would have been to merge with St Margaret's but no one seemed happy with that idea. So who knows, maybe taking boys into Albyn will increase the school's population or maybe the last few pupils who joined solely because of the single sex environment will fuck off the Bobby G's.

I will watch with interest.[/quote']

Do you not think that the downward spiral is due to all the fallout that Mrs Taylor created during her brief time there. She truly fucked the school, to the point where none of the good teachers who left were replaced by teachers of the same standard. Take the English department now. Last year, the higher English results were appalling compared to previous years. They should bring back Miss Smith. She was the Shit.

I'm not sure I agree about boys being a destraction. But probably because a lot of my friends at school were male anyway... Wasn't it proven that pupils tend to work better sitting next to the opposite sex? In computing the seating plan was boy-girl-boy. I guess it's up to the personality of the girl. Tomboy or total flirt.... whatever. I've only met a handful of Albyn girls so I'm not one to judge. The only funny thing I see is the fake tans and over-done make-up. It's not like they need to go to school to impress.

And as for the private bit of it. I don't think I'll be sending my kids to private school. If the child is willing to work, they'll do so wherever. I went to St Machar from 1st-6th year, with a hella lot of distractions and it didn't do me any harm. No, I didn't get 8 1s in my SGs and 10 Highers, but I got the grades I needed to get into Aberdeen uni, and it's bloody great to see the faces of people when they ask where I went to school.

I'm not sure I agree about boys being a destraction. But probably because a lot of my friends at school were male anyway... Wasn't it proven that pupils tend to work better sitting next to the opposite sex? In computing the seating plan was boy-girl-boy. I guess it's up to the personality of the girl. Tomboy or total flirt.... whatever. I've only met a handful of Albyn girls so I'm not one to judge. The only funny thing I see is the fake tans and over-done make-up. It's not like they need to go to school to impress.

you'd be surprised actually. a lot of the girls i went to school with were really judgemental over looks and really competitive with one another. there were a couple who, in the run up to our christmas ball, visited tanning salons during their free periods at least once a day. the result? showing up to the dance having completely changed race. the tarty ones were always the girls who labelled themselves as popular, despite no one else in the year actually liking them. i was the token rock chick who ignored the majority of them, and to this day have never been on a sun bed.

having said that, there's a considerable number of state school girls you see going about, tarted up to the nines, so it's not just albyn who's guilty.