aberdeen-music

John Zorn

ragudave

the s/t naked city album is great, as is s&m/cartoon, which is a collection of pieces for strings. Also worth getting is the hemophiliac live album - a collaboration between zorn, mike patton and ikue mori. Hemophiliac also released a two cd album a year or two ago, although it was pretty limited.

(pm me if you'd like a copy of the hemophiliac album)

check this out

seeing you are having a chat about contemporary music, check BBC Radio 3 schedules during January for the following:-

but also a week devoted to Minimalists. Donald Macleod looks at the origins

of minimalism in composers such as Terry Riley, developing through Philip Glass,

Steve Reich, and John Adams. He looks at how 'minimalist' ideas spread

throughout the world and influenced composers such as Arvo Part and Brian Eno.

I think this promises to be a really engaging exploration of this area of composition,

which has had such a significant impact on music over the past few decades.

enjoy

ps if anybody find out when its on can you post below

I was lucky enought to get the Painkiller Box set, it's a slab of heavy shit, but, once I "got in the zone"...I really did start to enjoy it, if yer in a foul mood, and want some serious aggression music...painkiller if your way forwards.

I also picked up the 3 track monster "talisman" in the fopp 1 quid clearout (nae cover, nae worries!)

no idea what it's from but me old flatmate had a john zorn album that would make you go deaf if you listened to it more than 7 times. it had a health warning on the front of it. something to do with 100's of panes of glass smashing and the frequencies caused by that. crazy. i'd got some john zorn somewhere though i can't remember what it is, something to do with films i seem to remember.

naked city made my head hurt.

holy shit, people talking about zorn on this list! sorry...i've felt so, so alone :)

we performed zorn's cobra in austin and i'm still thinking about starting up a group here to perform it.

my favorite works by him are his string quartet 'cat o' nine tails'..it's an oldy but a goody, out on a few different cds now, masada's great if you like really tight ensemble playing, his cobra and la crosse cd's are good too.

• 2 weeks later...