aberdeen-music

Does God Exist?

buffalo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, if you are a fundamentalist. Those damn liberals, however, talk about how God created humans through the use of the evolutionary process. It is all about the question of literal interpretation of the Bible. This equally begs the question, though, of whether or not humanity in its current state is the end God intended: are we supposed to go further? If not, at what point did we become truly "human"?

i don't agree with religions. i find them too restrictive and i found that the strictest religious people are really dictators. people strongly object to brainwashing and cults- but i don't really see the difference.

well as perfectly stated on the back of the (hugely common) Breed 77 Tshirts, "Religion Kills" and I agree perfectly with that one.

If you believe in God' date=' and when you die it turns out that it doesn't, well then at least you were prepared in case it did. I think harry hill said that, or something to that effect. harry hill has no hair.[/quote']

I've just noticed this quote and it seams like the time is ripe for some namedropping.

I spent an evening with Harry Hill once, we went to a party after he played the Lemon Tree. Believe me, he don't care about such subjects, all he wants is people to laugh at his jokes and give him lots of money. He is funny though.

The funniest bit of the night was when the girl whose party, it was slapped Harry's face and threw him out out of her house for being a smart arse. A few months later he's on telly with his own series.

Ah well such is life.....

Guest Zeenat Aman
Despite sounding clever' date=' what more does that mean that "God exsists"?[/quote']

It wasn't meant to sound clever! :(

From what i have read and have learned from talking to people, all religions have the same ultimate goal, pure love of god... however, I think that through time man has altered and added interpretations and rules etc and manipulated what was once, probably, a very pure thing.

You dont need the books, ie the bible, bhagavad gita or the quran etc to realise and feel that god is.

Basically, I think that religions are flawed interpretations of the divine love of god.

Guest Neubeatz

Matt Johnson;

God is evil,

God is love,

God is the force,

That posesses us.

I believe that religion really is an individual perception thing, the denial of mortality by the embrace of morality. Not very logical to me, although as long as you want to believe that....:(, just dont force it on me thanks..:)

I do believe in the basic christian morals though, but I know that that wont save me.

If there is an all giving/nurturing being, then surely it is the SUN without which we would definately perish,

The planet that we rape and pillage so inconsiderately is ultimately a living entity in its own right, also dependent upon the SUN, the all giving life force,

The planet in turn provides us with all that is catalysed by the suns energy, and can be compared to a parrallel with a so called "son of god"

Indeed, perhaps a "daughter of god is more applicable to the "mother earth",

Oh well, enough information for one day, lest it is too much for individuals to absorb in one go...;)

All I'm saying is read the Bible which I bet 90% of you have read most of it' date=' school or whatever, Then read the Quran and all your Christian views will change. Trust me. Your views on the Christian God will change[/quote']

Same god, different prophet. (I'm sure there's a joke about prophet margins there).

I don't beleive in the christian god so I'm hardly going to beleive in the same god with different wrapping.

Religion and science both deal with the same subjects (what created the universe?). Scientists explain the universe with "the big bang". Then their left with the question of "what created the big bang?" and so on, and so on

Maybe what created the big bang WAS the same God-like force that religion already has. Science's god is expressed through Algebra.

(PS I know nothing except my own ignorance! :up: )

Thank you all discussing my question. It's been interesting. I think the latest events under the Indian Ocean prove that if God does exist he/she/it is a cruel son of a bitch. I don't think anything will change my mind. I am an athiest and as a result have to fight against apathy on a daily basis.

I think I'll pop along to the Moorings on the 30th to see The Void. As a token of my appreciation I will buy the first person, who has contributed to this thread, a drink. All you have to do is give me the password which is "Girraffe"

Single measures only.

Cheers

Buffalo

Im undecided. If people ask I suppose I class myself as spiritual, I just feel that helping people and being a good person and friend is good!

I have friends who look at Christianity ranging from, "I love and worship god" to "Christianity is a mental illness"

ALthough I am referring to one main religion, it is the main religion here.

Just a couple of (friendly) questions; why do you equate belief in God with "apathy"? And why do you assume that' date=' if He exists, He deliberately inflicts natural disasters on mankind?[/quote']

i think what he ment was: if there was a god why did he let it happen?

the answers from most christains when asked somthing like this is:

1: its all part of a big plan where somthing truly wonderfull will happen

2: it was satan

3: *runs away*

Just a couple of (friendly) questions; why do you equate belief in God with "apathy"? And why do you assume that' date=' if He exists, He deliberately inflicts natural disasters on mankind?[/quote']

I didn't mean to say it was the sole cause of apathy, it just contributes to it. I don't beleive in anything and therefore sometimes life seams pointless. I'm not depressed, I don't even see the point in that. I don't do as much as i should sometimes because well.. like i said what's the point.

And in answer to the second question, well if he exists isn't he supposed to create everything. Didn't he make this world and all it's flaws. Maybe he's just crap at his job. Maybe there are lots of Gods with their own little worlds and he is the Frank Spencer of the GodRace.

mmm i quite like that idea

Thank you all discussing my question. It's been interesting. I think the latest events under the Indian Ocean prove that if God does exist he/she/it is a cruel son of a bitch. I don't think anything will change my mind. I am an athiest and as a result have to fight against apathy on a daily basis.

I think I'll pop along to the Moorings on the 30th to see The Void. As a token of my appreciation I will buy the first person' date=' who has contributed to this thread, a drink. All you have to do is give me the password which is "Girraffe"

Single measures only.

Cheers

Buffalo[/quote']

Popping along to the moorings wouldnt be a bad idea at all! Maybe Aberdeen's only space rock band can answer your question of "does god exist..."...

*lets emphisise that by saying, the LAST chance to see Aberdeen's ONLY space rock band!*

:band::band::band:

Popping along to the moorings wouldnt be a bad idea at all! Maybe Aberdeen's only space rock band can answer your question of "does god exist..."...

*lets emphisise that by saying' date=' the LAST chance to see Aberdeen's ONLY space rock band!*

:band::band::band:[/quote']

i'm going..

What follows does not necessarily reflect the personal beliefs of this author, and may not even be accurate. In fact anyone with access to Google and a strong desire to cause trouble, can and no doubt will turn this into a flame war. OK here goes LOL nothing:

Assuming that big bang [edit thanks jester!] theory is correct, then the universe exploded out of a singularity, an infinitesimally small point of nothingness. In other words nothingness begat something, in fact it begat everything.

Science spent a long time locked in a cold war with the Roman Catholic Church. Allegedly due to this most science operates from a starting principle that God does not exist. This may be something of a deception since many notable scientists were also deeply active in the occult. The term occult is derived from the word occluded which means 'hidden'. Occult knowedge is hidden knowledge (not secret knowledge). Allegedly much of that which we now recognise as science was originally occult although presented from a very different perspective. The number zero was allegedly originally an occult concept, and the first card in the Tarot - The Fool was allegedly numbered '0' long before that concept and it's symbol appeared in mainstream mathematics.

In the occult God is considered to be unmanifest, that which is not manifested. Roughly this means God is composed out of pure nothingness. So according to that theory God does exist... as nothing. Now according to mainstream science nothing begat the universe, so technically it would be correct (in the loosest sense) to present this as: God does not exist.

The same hidden body of knowledge also predicts that the universe is 11 dimensional and that solid matter ultimately consists of vibrating energy. Furthermore it states that the universe is split into 2 parts, one 5 dimensional microcosm symbolised by the pentagram (the physical universe that consists of length, breadth, height, time, and a pure energy dimension), and a 6 dimensional macrocosm symbolised by the hexagram (the astral universe; the makeup of this is harder to explain). This is all consistent with superstring theory and TOE. There are also some parallels to quantum mechanics and occult theory offers an interesting explanation for quantum chaos... this is where the concept of magic (or magick) stems from; that our thoughts do through the unmanifest push things around at a quantum level causing change in conformity with the will whether intentional or otherwise.

This stuff all operates on a non-faith principle known as self demonstrability. Whereas science operates on the more dubious concept of general demonstrability (you should believe what scientists show you). Personally I take eveything with a huge pinch of salt ;)

The concepts of all prevailing good and evil, heaven and hell, a male God, and Satan were all created by the church, and other related religions, Judism, Islam, and Christianity all share the same (and hugely misinterpreted) first 5 books of the Old Testament.

Events that cause death and destruction are only considered bad where death is believed to be final. Factor in reincarnation and the concept of the immortal soul, and the outlook is very different.

Death is useful, without death Bill Gates would quickly own the whole world. Death to Bill!

LMAO.

Well all this is interesting if nothing else, unfortunately I'll probably get sent to Hell for typing it. LVX.