aberdeen-music

Album Of Year!

Stephen

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it really matters if something has been recorded in a "proper studio"

I think it can do. I think there can be a huge difference between someone using a home studio and a 'proper studio' especially when you're doing acoustic and quiet/mellow music as Jo does, many homestudio recordings sound flat. Also the other issue is the quality of the mics especially when the recording is being played back on high quality speakers. There's often a huge difference between the mics used int he home studio setup and those used in a studio such as Cava.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell
I don't think it really matters if something has been recorded in a "proper studio"

very true

many shite bands record in "proper studios" - maybe people will one day realise that you cant polish a turd

pepercuts and lime :up: album is excellent though

I think it can do. I think there can be a huge difference between someone using a home studio and a 'proper studio' especially when you're doing acoustic and quiet/mellow music as Jo does' date=' many homestudio recordings sound flat. Also the other issue is the quality of the mics especially when the recording is being played back on high quality speakers. There's often a huge difference between the mics used int he home studio setup and those used in a studio such as Cava.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

If you own a decent mic or two then it shouldn't really be a problem, unless you're wanting to make something sound like a U2 album or the likes, I guess. Saying "recorded in a proper studio" sounds a bit silly really, like the sort of thing a parent would say to their friends

"Little johnny and his band recorded in a PROPER STUDIO!"

Points towards Daniel Johnston for evidence of home-recorded genius.

If you own a decent mic or two then it shouldn't really be a problem' date=' unless you're wanting to make something sound like a U2 album or the likes, I guess. Saying "recorded in a proper studio" sounds a bit silly really, like the sort of thing a parent would say to their friends

"Little johnny and his band recorded in a PROPER STUDIO!"

Points towards Daniel Johnston for evidence of home-recorded genius.[/quote']

The reason I said it like that was because her last album was recorded in a home studio setup and although good, sounds a bit flat because of it, whereas being in a proper soundproofed setup with top quality mics made a huge difference. The only reason I used those words were becasue the last one wasn't it wasn't as a way of having a go at what anyone else was doing, but was a way of illustrating why that album was better than the previous one. I still think for acoustic stuff I can generally hear a difference between home setups and studio setups, I also tend to notice the drums ion band recording similarly.

Cheers

Stuart

The reason I said it like that was because her last album was recorded in a home studio setup and although good' date=' sounds a bit flat because of it, whereas being in a proper soundproofed setup with top quality mics made a huge difference. The only reason I used those words were becasue the last one wasn't it wasn't as a way of having a go at what anyone else was doing, but was a way of illustrating why that album was better than the previous one. I still think for acoustic stuff I can generally hear a difference between home setups and studio setups, I also tend to notice the drums ion band recording similarly.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Fair do's mister

I also forgot to mention Brian Wilson - Smile as another of my albums of the year.

so there you go