aberdeen-music

John Peel Dies

Guest tv tanned

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Peel champion of the common man

I am gutted , I have listened to him for around 25 years , he changed my life incredibly.

On a positive note Mark Radcliffe ( BBC radio) and Vic Galloway( BBC Radio 1 and Radio Scotland ) are fine DJs who also champion the sort of music we really want to hear.

Cheerio JOHN PEEL you will be missed .

Actually guys, I just did a screen capture from the Yahoo news site. I then added a comment so you wouldn't miss the glaring mistake they'd made.

I see they've actually changed it now though.

Actually guys' date=' I just did a screen capture from the Yahoo news site. I then added a comment so you wouldn't miss the glaring mistake they'd made.

I see they've actually changed it now though.[/quote']

I thought it looked doctored, that's why I wrote what I did, I don't think your sarcasm filter was tweaked today, I know now you were highlighting the stupidity of the webpage, but, as an annonymous post, with no explaination, it looked like you were ripping the piss. (not a good time to do that)...

Tragic news. Who will save us from the tedium of mainstream spoon-fed shit on the radio now?

I'd like to think "ourselves".

If this is the gerneral concensus of the population (from all the comments online etc), surely it's time the brittish public stopped putting up with all this watered down shite, and get on with championing good music again...like Peelie did.

I hope there is a Peel Fund set up, that might be the only good thing to come out of this pish news.

"must do #1 : get played by Peelie"

if there is any band here' date=' who's not had that as their #1 ambition, give up now.[/quote']

I was played by Peelie in 1992, and he said kind things about my album. He had been a hero of mine for at least 20 years before that, and has continued to be so, although I wish now I'd listened more regularly the last few years.

I'm going to have a few nips in his memory tonight.

he was still playing top quality records from all walks of life, society and culture right up to the end you'll be reassured to know.

A repeated recent fall session was on one of his last (if not the last) shows which is just how peelie would have wanted it

Guest stuartmaxwell

bloody hell!!

its really strange

the man was an institution, now hes gone

its actually really hard to take in, the man who has been at the forefront of broadcasting new and interesting music, the voice for us in the underground is no more. i hope he didnt suffer

his poor family

can yuo think of anyone who doesnt like john peel?

exactly...

i would sincerely hope radio 1 dont even try to replace him because they can't, they should just re-run his shows in that time slot.

i am truly shocked he has gone, he affected people in so many ways, the small tribute that 5 live paid during their football coverage earlier was touching. must also give radio 1 respect for the way they've handled it, i'm seeing some of their DJ's in a differant light tonight.

but for any aspiring musician it was the ultimate accolade to be championed by Peel and many of those were into the music for all the right reasons, as was Peel himself.

Well obviously he can never be replaced but there must be someone who can continue the tradition of championing new and "difficult" bands. Andy kershaw said tonight that if you were a new band in some obscure corner of England you had just lost your cheerleader. Actually Kershaw has EXACTLY the sensibilities of Peel. He says on the first Whistle Test DVD that what he always looks for in music is to hear something he hasn't heard before. (Which is what first drew him to the Talking Heads in 1982)

hopefully it may take this awfully tragic event for the broadcasting industry to wake up to the fact not everyone wants to listen robbie williams or the red hot chilli peppers, REM or Britney Spears all day every day. Again though as per usual the music suffers which would have saddened peel more than actually dying. his passing was always going to provoke a kind of indie 'diana' grieving but in a totally different way cos he actually touched people, from all different walks of life in a much more sincere and human way.