aberdeen-music

Minimum Drinks Prices

Moshulu Rob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie

pish. just costs more for responsible/harmless drinkers. do they really think people who get drunk every week and start fights / damage things will take a step back and say 'woa - not at 1.75 a pint!'

pish. just costs more for responsible/harmless drinkers. do they really think people who get drunk every week and start fights / damage things will take a step back and say 'woa - not at 1.75 a pint!'

Where the hell do you get a pint for less than 1.75?

It's over 2 a pint in almost every pub/club anyway, so it's really not going to make a blind bit of difference.

People will still end up cunted. And will probably just get more pissed at home before heading out.

At the end of next week the council bring in their new minimum pricing structure to cut down on binge drinking in the city centre. Every single bar and club in the city has to charge the following as a minimum.

Pint : 1.75

spirit (25ml): 1.20

Bottle of beer 1.75

Alcopop 1.75

Wine (125ml) 1.40

thoughts?

So...did you actually have to increase the prices for anything?

So...did you actually have to increase the prices for anything?

Downstairs - No. the Cocktails just scraped in by 1/2p

Upstairs :

Monday - Pints and spirits will have to go up, but they were only that low because that's what exodus charges, and they'll have to put the drinks up too.

And no spin the wheel on a wednesday. Pints are 1.75 on a fri and sat at the moment anyway

Yes, or so the legislation states... I would presume it was exactly the student unions and the student bars that the council were trying to target overall.

I have to say though, as someone who usually finds himself in the Moorings or the Bassment, these changes aren't going to mean many drastic changes. I certainly don't think that they will drastically cut binge drinking... (Surely the council will realise that...) Well unless the population of aberdeen is skint one night!

it's pretty ridiculous for the council to assume that these prices are going to reduce binge drinking and fighting at weekends.

although not ethical perhaps, the police and council should target places that DO get regular police call-outs etc, and make them have higher prices, and leave the ones that don't need the police ever friday and saturday night alone...won't happen though...having said that most "incidents" happen on the street, so perhaps that wouldn't help.

Guest onlynik

It the fucking council with their heads up their arses again, "Oh, look how responsible we are being, it must the cheap drink that makes people want to go out and get drunk, and even binge drink, lets raise the price, because that will stop them"

Utter bollocks, people will go down to the spar and buy a shitty bottle of vodka, get shit faced then head into town.

The council seem to be unaware that Aberdeen is a quite boring place and it is also the only place for miles, an influx of people from outer parts of Aberdeenshire, who have nothing else to do but drink.

This will only hurt the poorer people anyway, those rich bastards will still be able to pay 3 a pint up town.

although not ethical perhaps' date=' the police and council should target places that DO get regular police call-outs etc, and make them have higher prices, and leave the ones that don't need the police ever friday and saturday night alone...[/quote']

Making all the twats go to the places where there's no trouble, but cheap drinks, and start trouble there instead. Nice thinking.

OK so we've discussed the trees, now let's take a look at the woods!

How much a drink costs is irrelevant, the important thing is how much it costs to get drunk... or more accurately how much is costs you to hit the spot, get in the zone, whatever.

The secret is to drink better quality drink. Although each drink costs more, you get get a much nicer effect from them AND don't need to poison yourself with alcohol to achieve the desired FX.

These regulations do 2 things, and both are positive:

1) They bring the price of the cheap shit closer to that of the good shit, therefore you might as well drink the good shit.

2) They prevent those nasty unscrupulous money grabbing chains run by besuited execs that are probably preachingly tee-total yet think nothing of getting rich from killing the rest us with their cheap poison...

...OK you get the picture LOL... it prevents them from undercutting the decent privately owned business, probably run by some fun loving alchie in a doo-rag, that ocassionally gives poor young persons free drinks out of the kindness of his heart.

So it's all good. In my opinion.

Do you think the average drinker is going to think that? 'Oh I'll just buy the expensive stuff coz the chaep stuff isn't that much cheaper?' No. He's going to head into the Off Lisence and buy a cheap 5 bottle of Vodie, get pissed and head into town. Therefore it defeats the purpose on all accounts.

Happy if you run a Threshers though!

Its a good idea for silly people and a bad idea for sensible folk.

Why should I have to pay more money to get mingered before I quietly grab a kebab, jump in a taxi and go home to the Hog Mansion? I dont start fights, get aggressive etc. If I want to get pished and have to spend more then I am suffering because of a stupid minority.

It is good though that its a positive step towards at least trying to combat the problem.

I sound like Im contradicting myself but Im sure you know what I mean.

Hog

Do you think the average drinker is going to think that? 'Oh I'll just buy the expensive stuff coz the chaep stuff isn't that much cheaper?'

No. But that's just natural selection.

Likewise the average punter will fail to realise that the new minimum price is below the price that most pubs charge (with the exception of some especially dodgy ones). And moan about it despite never having suceeded in buying a pint for as little as 1.75 LOL.

Ever drunk a pint of warm flat piss out of a dirty glass for 1.50, then get stabbed for the experience? MMMmmmm yummy! Anyone so unintelligent as to fall for the old "cheapest is best value" argument probably shops in the Market... and wouldn't you rather those types avoided your favourite bar? No disrespect to the minks BTW.

As for the bigger chains... well FUCK THEM! They cater mainly for those of ovine descent... so sheep and their money... baa baa.

Some people fail to consider how much is left in their pockets the next morning. It's not unheard of for the odd poorly paid br worker to get confused about the change. Strangely, places that charge less tend to pay less, thus the forces of confusion are stronger.

My advice is leave home with no more than 20. It is easy to get well and truely minced on 20. In all honesty 15 will probably do the job, and those who are especially skilled (like me) can inflict serious damage with a tenner. Whether that means numerous pints of warm rats piss, while listening to Sidney Divine and having the odd fiver nicked, culminating in a stanley knife through the eyeball...

OR

6 pints of the good shit and a couple of nice spirits to top it off PLUS the added benefit of a safe environment - costs the same however you slice and dice it.

My guess is that the off-licenses will also be hit before long. Hey there's always home brew LOL.

The new rules do cover 2 for 1 deals etc so those shall disappear. In fact they cover every permutation of discounting.

Anyone so unintelligent as to fall for the old "cheapest is best value" argument probably shops in the Market... and wouldn't you rather those types avoided your favourite bar? No disrespect to the minks BTW.

It can also be the other way round. Most marketing campaigns have stuff priced high so people think tis good. It's really stupid. Just because its expensive doesn't mean it is good and just because it is cheap doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be cow piss.

It's just aberdeen, although other licensing boards in scotland have/are about to do the same.

Infact the major chains challenged it in the high court. The ruling was along the lines of: It is illegal to impose minimum prices in england as it's an unfair restriction of trade by the council, who control licenses in England. However in scotland because it is the courts it is ok to impose minimum prices.

Broadly I agree with Flash.

Both of us pay far more for beer etc than the likes of the major chains like Luminar (liquid, Jumpin Jaks, Cotton Club, Bardot, Chicago Rock), Epic (Ministry, Paramount, Priory etc), Urbium (tiger tiger) and scream (Exodus and Triple Kirks).

I bet we both pay staff (from managers down), Dj's etc more. and we get stung with higher rents and insurance too. SO from a Business point it helps to level the field a bit. In terms of controlling the trouble in the city centre at weekends I think it will do SFA, however I bet neither of our venues contribute to that trouble in the slightest.

R

In terms of controlling the trouble in the city centre at weekends I think it will do SFA' date=' however I bet neither of our venues contribute to that trouble in the slightest.[/quote']

These days I rarely have to bash anyones brains in with a baseball bat, set them in concrete and drop them in the harbour. Weekly at worst, and even then it's only for something trivial like chewing with their mouth open. So no, I don't think we contribute.

In fact Moshulu/Bassment, Drakes, and the Moorings are victims of the trouble because we must pay doostaff to keep the scum out and ensure a safe and friendly environment within our premises.

It can also be the other way round. Most marketing campaigns have stuff priced high so people think tis good. It's really stupid. Just because its expensive doesn't mean it is good and just because it is cheap doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be cow piss.

Camie - you're going all anal retentive and pedantic on me again. I suspect you've been too long without alcohol.