aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

34 minutes ago, Mr Owl PhD said:

On the plus side for Newcastle fans, they can at least get some schadenfreude from Pardew's burgeoning meltdown at Palace.  Or does that not even help?

Nah. That's been fun to see in an "I told you so" kinda way, but I dunno. I just don't really enjoy football much any more. Ashley and his various parade of lackeys have just kind of ground all the passion out of me at this point, and the club's really become nothing more than a Sports Direct advertisement vehicle. There's no heart, no soul... nothing. It's just dead.

I became a fan during the Keegan era. That was all blind optimism, romance, hope, and exciting football. What we have today is the polar opposite of that. It's a club that doesn't want to do anything other than merely "exist," and that's not what the sport is about to me. They likely wont replace McClaren because they're so disconnected from what a football club should be. We'll probably sleepwalk into the Championship and I can't even guarantee I'll be upset. They've beaten all that out of me.

One of the worst things about being a Newcastle supporter is the way you're looked at by other fans, too. The slightest hint of hope and optimism and it's "LOL, deluded Geordies! Who do they think they are?!" It's nuts. Like Pardew left, we were told "careful what you wish for." Look at him now: 12 games without a win. McClaren comes in, some of us are unconvinced, and we were told "he's an excellent coach and plays good football, stupid deluded Geordies." Well shit, look at us now.

I dunno. It's been a tiresome ten years. I still tune-in when we're on the television and force a cheer when we win, but I don't see my passion coming back until we get an owner who actually has the club's best interests at heart.

• Upvote 3

Christ. After that big despondent post I made the other day, I'm actually feeling something resembling genuine hope for the first time in years. Literally years. What a difference a couple of days make. 

It's such a weird thing. Mike Ashley hasn't sacked a manager for poor results since he binned Allardyce shortly after taking over. More importantly, he's never -- *ever* -- replaced departing managers with somebody competent. Look at the shit we've endured, man. Joe fucking Kinnear, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve McClaren. None of these men were ever qualified for the job, and we've just gone and appointed one of the top 15 managers in world football. I don't... I can't even... what the hell is happening?

Can't say I'm particularly optimistic about our chances of staying-up, but this is just so bloody inspiring. Our stature doesn't deserve a manger of this caliber at all.

Sky Sports News are saying he has a get-out clause on his contract if Newcastle end up going down, so hopefully Benitez does keep Newcastle up, or it'll be back to scraping the bargain bin for the likes of your Curbishlys and your McDermotts. Ick.

That squad is too good to go down though. The defence often looks a bit tragic, but there's a lot of quality in the middle and up top. I still think Wijnaldum is among the best attacking midfielders in the league.