aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

Noted the recent discussion about Chinese football and Eupraxia's post in particular, and disagreed that it was really about "industry" and "money"...

https://next.ft.com/content/3a4b5e92-e5e4-11e5-bc31-138df2ae9ee6

Skim read this, and there's some talk about "investing in trying to get Chinese fans into pay-per-view-football" but yeah... I'd say the splurging in the Chinese leagues is party the same as corrupt oil barons and sheiks splurging on prestigious playthings/moneysinks in the Premier (and to a lesser extent French?) league(s), except that many Chinese want prestigious things in China, because that's just how they roll; partly because Xi Jingping says he likes football and wants to host, and then win a world cup; and then (the only rational part of all this) is that apparently the J-League, lightweight though it's probably viewed in the West apparently had a A HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS correlation between Japan (national team) going from nobodies to at least regular World Cup fixtures.

15 minutes ago, Richard Pictures said:

Tell me more about this free app.

I am considering the purchase of the new Ireland jersey, but it's £55. I could spend that money saving for the future, or on booze. I do not like difficult decisions.

You get two free packs a day and can do swaps etc with friends or random people. Not quite as joyous as having a proper album but totally free. Just look in itunes/play store for panini sticker album.

3 hours ago, Richard Pictures said:

Tell me more about this free app.

I am considering the purchase of the new Ireland jersey, but it's £55. I could spend that money saving for the future, or on booze. I do not like difficult decisions.

But in the future, with that £55.00 that you saved (which will be worthless in the year 2050 anyway), you'll look back on Ireland winning Euro 2016 and remember you were the only one who celebrated whilst not wearing the new shirt. Most uncool.

Gary Neville's been binned by Valencia.

Fair play for him for stepping outside the mould of English ex-pros. He could have stuck to his comfortable punditry job, where he seemed to be becoming some sort of weird national treasure, where those who once hated him now think he's the best thing since tinned beans, or at least no longer want to strangle him like they used to.

He was a bit of an idiot though. Never managed before, never played in Spain, can't speak a lick of Spanish, goes to manage in Spain. Failure was a certainty.

1 hour ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Rob Elliot out for about 6 months. Newcastle have no chance of signing emergency loan keeper so down to rookie's Darlow or Woodman.

Darlow is an obvious choice there, he's over 100 championship games under his belt, I know he had a shaky debut vs West Brom but he's a decent keeper who's itching for a chance in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Chat shit, get banned.

This is good. 9/10. :up:

Absolutely huge game for Leicester at the weekend v Swansea. I think that will go a long way to setting the tone for the remaining games. Spurs obviously have the 'easier' run in, but if Leicester beat Swansea I think they'll end up champions.

To be honest, as much as I'd love Leicester to win the league for all the romance, I have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs and it's hugely refreshing that the usual candidates are nowhere near.

On that note, how shite are Arsenal? Such bottlers. Wenger is such a prick - just go and spend some money, mate. He's got this reputation for 'bringing through youth', and yes I suppose he does bring them through and give them game time. Shame very few of them actually 'make it' in terms of the truly top level. For every Fabregas there are a hundred Armand Traores. And Walcott? Jesus - a massive prospect absolutely ruined. See also Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Wenger is the worst. Surely this is the year he just has to go? Every year it's the same. The last 10 years in the Premier League have been the same. They start great, play arguably the best football in the league, but they fall to bits when they start to feel the pressure and everyone starts tipping them for the title. Their form across February, March and April every year is ridiculous. How does it happen every year? Apart from that one year a few years ago where their season happened in reverse, where they couldn't buy a win in the first half of the season, then were unstoppable after Christmas.

Was Walcott ever that good to begin with? Blistering pace, but his composure and overall play has always been a bit ropey. Perennial sitter-misser. Ox-Cham still has time and I think he has a much bigger potential. If anything it's the injuries that have held him back. Same with Wilshere. Both of them have knees made of dog biscuits.

I thought I wanted Leicester to win it, because of the underdog status, and also because they've never won a top flight title in their existence. To win it in an era dominated by money would be quite special. They'd go into Pot 1 in the Champions League along with all the other top seed title winners and last years Champions League winner. That would be unbelievable. On the flipside, Spurs play the best football in the league. They never grind it out, they play with a lot of style and aggression. They're the best team to watch by a distance. The spine of their team is rock solid. They have the best manager around too. A Spurs win also means lots of butthurt Gunners, which would be a fine bonus. Piers Morgan's tears will be monstrous. I just can't decide.

• Upvote 2

Commentator during the Arsenal game had a new spin on the pluralization of player names. Instead of 'your girouds, your walcotts' he went for 'Arsenal have plenty of options on the bench... They have a Walcott, a Giroud...'

Spurs are playing the best football right now and have done pretty much all season. That alone makes them worthy champions in my eyes. Although you can't take anything away from Leicester who have played to their strengths and absorbed so much pressure. 

Level of play this season has been poor all round, Spurs aside, but still one of the best seasons in recent memory. Any team capable of dicking any other (villa aside)... It's been exciting.

I agree. The top level quality of the league has been poor in terms of technical ability. But it has been the most exciting season to date, IMO. So many goal-fests, and as you say, anyone can tonk anyone if they turn up and have at them. The usual top 6 candidates have gotten weaker (as proven by most of them getting their pants pulled down in Europe), but teams from 7th downwards have definitely gotten stronger, Villa aside. But even Villa have a pretty decent squad in terms of individuals, and are just rock-bottom on luck and motivation. Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich and Swansea are playing pretty awful stuff, but again they have good squads with some very good players.

Then next season, you're going to have the majority of the best managers around in the Premier League. Guardiola, Conte, Mourinho possibly at United, Klopp will be starting his first full season, Pochettino will be starting his third, Wenger will probably still remain and in theory is a top manager but just a bit of an idiot, Ranieri's done great and the Champions League will help Leicester build on this season and attract a higher calibre of players. A good enough reason why the men upstairs at United shouldn't definitely not give the job to the unqualified, inexperienced Ryan Giggs. He'd be the deer in the headlights. Those guys would eat him alive. Surely they're not that stupid, are they?