aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Apparently burned his bridges with Ashley when he turned us down, and Ash is definitely one to hold a grudge... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we appointed him.

It'd be a hugely underwhelming appointment. Not sure how much more sleep-inducing defensive football I can take.

He certainly didn't set up Derby like that, they were all about free-flowing, attacking football. He's probably about the best you lot could entice in all honesty, talk about poisoned chalice.

He certainly didn't set up Derby like that, they were all about free-flowing, attacking football. He's probably about the best you lot could entice in all honesty, talk about poisoned chalice.

I've heard the exact opposite from a couple Derby fans. Dull, reactive football lacking in imagination and excitement. In fact, his style of play seems to be the main complaint lodged against him on every Derby site I've investigated lately (I go full Sherlock whenever we're linked with someone).

Edited by Murrr

I've heard the exact opposite from a couple Derby fans. Dull, reactive football lacking in imagination and excitement. In fact, his style of play seems to be the main complaint lodged against him on every Derby site I've investigated lately (I go full Sherlock whenever we're linked with someone).

They scored the 3rd highest number of goals in the Championship this season. Their midfield and forward line are stacked with creative players, I'd argue their defence is the worst part of their team.

No idea why Bamford played to the end of the game today, he didn't even look fit enough for 30 minutes nevermind the full game.

Was watching with my Middlesbrough supporting in laws, was a pretty shit game for a Boro fan.  Don't know why they didn't go for it in the last 20 minutes at least, he didn't even throw the kitchen sink at them, he just made the one sub!  Who cares if you lose another goal or two, no one remembers the score, they just remember who goes up and who doesn't!!

They scored the 3rd highest number of goals in the Championship this season. Their midfield and forward line are stacked with creative players, I'd argue their defence is the worst part of their team.

*shrug* I try to trust fan opinion on things like this rather than numbers, but it could admittedly be a bit of sour grapes from Derby fans. They seem to speak very highly of him in other departments, just not entertainment value.

Either way, it'd be a hugely "meh" appointment and I will be very disappointed if we don't look outside the British Isles for our next manager.

Edited by Murrr

Derby fans seem pretty disappointed about his sacking on this particular fan forum. Lost of compliments about his style, but they seem to be criticising everything else about him. "Great coach. Poor manager" someone has put it.

http://dcfcfans.uk/topic/19102-mcclaren-gone/?page=1

That's Ancelotti sacked now as well.

Big Sam left West Ham yesterday too. He must have had the call from Perez.

Ancelotti back to AC Milan, I reckon.

Inzaghi's been pretty dire, and that team needs saved. But Christ, Perez's policy of total impatience with managers regardless of how well they've done is totally abhorrent.

Florentino Perez is a wasteman. There, I said it.

I'm delighted Norwich won yesterday. Alex Neil seems like a good guy and potentially a top class manager. It's good that the premier league didn't go too long without a Scot in charge.

I don't mind seeing Madrid make stupid decisions but as a fan of Ancelotti I'm sorry to see him get sacked. Considering all the club went through to win "la decima" the fact he got it should allow him at least one trophy-less year.

It's just like his Chelsea experience. He stabilized the post mourinho mess and won the league playing great football, one year later he was gone because he couldn't quite repeat it.

I'd like to see Ancelotti come to Manchester City, just to give Chelsea some competition. The Premier League was a dull-as-piss one horse race this season and I don't think I can cope with Mourinho Mourinho-ing his way to another league title without any real opposition.

• Upvote 1

I see Ashley came out giving it some lip after the game... won't quit until Newcastle win a trophy or qualify for the champions league? (according to Mike Champions League qualification is the equivalent of a trophy!).  He could be there for life methinks.  But you know with a good manager and some serious investment Newcastle could be up there. 

Anyone else think Rodgers might go from lolpool.  That was a ridiculous beating at Stoke.  One good season, two average ones. He's spent over 200 million.  Surely Klopp is being lined up for a Prem League job.

Pleased for Norwich being a local team for me.

And I never posted nearly as much this season as what I have before so the figures being down is all my fault!

Klopp to Liverpool is nailed on, IMO. Would be very surprised to see him go elsewhere.

That's if Brendan's sacked at all, bearing in mind all of this talk of stability and 'projects' (shudder) etc etc, there's no way of telling just yet. But yeah - if Brendan goes, Klopp'll be in. I'm pretty certain of that.

Also, I can see the appeal of Liverpool to Klopp - big city, passionate supporters, opportunity to make a historically great club competitors again, plenty of budget and an onus on attacking football. 

Nobody knows Jurgen Klopp like I do. No-one. He's sitting with me right now, saying "Man, I sure do love Aberdeen-Music, Shutterspeed 4 Lyf".

I'd be really sad if Klopp ended-up at English football's designated comedy club. Really, really sad.

That said, if Rodgers gets binned, I'd like to see us throw a wad of cash at him. He's a total David Brent/Alan Partridge type, but his teams are entertaining, and his transfer market whackness wouldn't be an issue at Newcastle, where he'd have less control over player purchases. I'm at a point where I probably need a pro-active playing style to hold my interest: artless victory grinds just don't appeal anymore.

We've been linked with Jimmy-Floyd this morning. That'd be fun, at least.

It's gonna be Carver though. Fuck's sake, it's gonna be Carver.

Edited by Murrr

I'd be really sad if Klopp ended-up at English football's designated comedy club. Really, really sad.

That said, if Rodgers gets binned, I'd like to see us throw a wad of cash at him. He's a total David Brent/Alan Partridge type, but his teams are entertaining, and his transfer market whackness wouldn't be an issue at Newcastle, where he'd have less control over player purchases. I'm at a point where I probably need a pro-active playing style to hold my interest: artless victory grinds just don't appeal anymore.

Joe Kinnear/Dennis Wise dream-team, IMO.

As a person and back-room coach Carver seems a top-notch guy but as a manager - oh dear beyond dreadful.  But you never know with mad Mike.  If he is serious about Newcastle becoming some kind of force in English football then he needs to get Klopp at whatever cost and give him at least 500 million and let him get on with it.  But knowing mental Mike as we all do he'll employ Carver or McClaren, give them 20 million tops in the transfer market and the squad will be flooded with yet more under average signings from the French League.

The Liverpool job would appeal to Klopp I think should it become available.

At least your shirt next year is classy. :up:

newcastle-kit_3312140b.jpg

• Upvote 1

As a person and back-room coach Carver seems a top-notch guy but as a manager - oh dear beyond dreadful. But you never know with mad Mike. If he is serious about Newcastle becoming some kind of force in English football then he needs to get Klopp at whatever cost and give him at least 500 million and let him get on with it. But knowing mental Mike as we all do he'll employ Carver or McClaren, give them 20 million tops in the transfer market and the squad will be flooded with yet more under average signings from the French League.

The Liverpool job would appeal to Klopp I think should it become available.

Not sure I'd call a guy who has twice asked fans for a fight (at games, in front of tens of thousands of people) a "top notch guy" like.

The man's a lumbering fuckwit.

Rafa Benitez to Madrid is a weird one. He isn't an upgrade on Ancelotti. It seems mad to sack someone for not winning a trophy in one season, and then replace him with someone who is not as good. It's like they're just teaching Ancelotti a lesson, regardless of how good he is. He's got to go stand in the naughty boy corner, with all the other managers who have the NERVE to finish a season at Madrid potless, even though he brought them the Copa Del Rey and their 10th European Cup less than a year ago.

Ancelotti probably won't be going to City, at least not immediately, as he's saying he wants to take a year out for health reasons. I don't think City will sack Pellegrini anyway. For an oil-rich club, they don't seem too trigger-happy in that respect. I think Pellegrini will get another season at least. He finished 2nd which isn't really a disaster. I think City need some major refreshing in the summer. The only players who are indispensable are Aguero and Silva. Might be tough to refresh that squad since they are under the kosh of the FFP.

Arsenal and United will be stronger next year, and if both clubs make the right moves over the summer, they should both realistically have a run at Chelsea. I think both will have enough about them to mount a serious title bid.

I predict Van Gaal will be ruthless again, and ditch the players who haven't done it for him in the last 12 months. For some reason, he just didn't like Rafael, and preferred playing players out of position than playing an actual right back. He got completely frozen out. Seems odd, considering the amount of mistakes Valencia has made in that position. Rafael is a bit of a loony, but I think he would have been a much better option. He would have offered something going forwards as well, where as Valencia just blasts crosses at the defenders legs, or blooters it out for a throw in. I reckon he's going to bin Jonny Evans too, which is long overdue. He's also got Hernandez and Nani returning from loan, he'll probably get shot of them as well, even though Nani has done the business on loan. United need a centre back, a proper right back, a hardnut of a midfielder and a striker. I don't think they'll replace David De Gea, if he leaves. I'd guess it's why Valdes was brought in, and he's certainly good enough. If City can win the Premier League with Joe Hart, then United should be able to finish in the top 3 with even Ryan Giggs in goal.

I don't think it'll be easy for Chelsea to retain the title. It rarely happens, and only two managers have done it in the Premier League era. Unfortunately, one of those managers is the current holder.

It's staggering to think that Man United still have to add a significant number of players after last summer's mass recruitment. I'm still not convinced by them in any position, but they still finished fourth. Says a lot about the quality of the league this season. Lots of players that are clearly very good but have underperformed, and lots of middle-of-the-road plodders.