aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Newcastle are apparently looking to appoint Steve McClaren at the end of the season, but he won't leave Derby if they get promoted.

So basically, it all hinges on him failing to get Derby into the Premier League.

Isn't that just the most "Newcastle" thing in the world?

Totally my mate at work lumped 50 quid on Newcastle to get relegated at 50/1 this week, those odds shortened now of course.  Talk about free fall!  But you wanted rid of Pardew did you not?  Maybe the grass is not always greener?

Totally my mate at work lumped 50 quid on Newcastle to get relegated at 50/1 this week, those odds shortened now of course.  Talk about free fall!  But you wanted rid of Pardew did you not?  Maybe the grass is not always greener?

Yeah, there's a good chance we're fucked. We're fortunate enough that there are multiple teams below us who are dreadful as well, but I don't think we'll pick-up another point.

Pardew leaving Newcastle was absolutely, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt the best thing for both Newcastle and Pardew himself, regardless of our respective league positions. It sickens me when I hear a professional pundit trotting this shit out like. The issue is that we've replaced him with a complete dipshit of a human who, by the way, told a couple fans to "meet him outside" after the game yesterday. What a guy.

Tony Valencia decided today that defending is for small-fry like McNair and Shaw, but not for Big Time Charlies like himself. Excellent commitment to that decision too. Not even a whiff of defending.

And what's all this shit about playing to the whistle? He's having none of that either, which resulted in a goal by Mirallas.

All 3 goals, Valencia's fault.

I've not seen the highlights yet, but Valencia's not a defender to be fair. Has been caught out all season, and relies on his pace to get him out of trouble more often than not.

On Newcastle, what are the fans' main beefs with Ashley? I get he's a bit of a knob and persisted with Pardz etc etc, but he's an excellent businessman that has Newcastle on a very sound financial footing. Is it that he doesn't spend money/seem to have any ambition short of staying in the league and generating the revenue that brings? Has he used the club to massively further his own business interests? If so, how?

Not sure if you're trolling again, Adam, but have a read of this: http://ashleyout.com/articles/a-guest-blog-on-the-state-of-newcastle-united-by-george-caulkin-northern-sports-correspondent-of-the-times/

Football is about hopes and dreams not merely "existing," and Ashley has effectively murdered ours by turning the club into a cold, soulless advertising front for his other business.

I've not seen the highlights yet, but Valencia's not a defender to be fair. Has been caught out all season, and relies on his pace to get him out of trouble more often than not.

He's not a defender, and I have no idea why Rafael has been frozen out for long periods of the season. An actual defender.

Still, Valencia has been pretty robust defensively for most of the season. Rarely gets done 1 on 1. His positioning is suspect, but he recovers well. Never loses a physical battle. Yesterday, he didn't even attempt to recover. He just sauntered about, lost his man, and Juan Mata was often charging back instead. Maybe he's knackered, since he plays almost every game and is rarely ever rotated. If that's the case then he shouldn't have played.

But the 3rd goal, not playing to the whistle. Unforgivable. Lukaku was flagged offside, but in the end it is arguable as to whether or not he was interfering with play. I don't think he was, and Mirallas and ran onto the ball instead. Referee never blew. Play on until he does. It's schoolboy stuff.

Liverpool losing because Balotelli is rubbish at everything, including the offside rule, and then Bayern getting done on penalties, missing all 4 of their penalties, including Lahm and Alonso falling over and Manuel Neuer taking his penalty like a GOAL KICK - A solid evening of football.

Relegation to the Championship will be a complete and total disaster for Newcastle. I'm really not looking forward to finishing 16th in that league next season.

Rumours of McClaren being appointed tomorrow. Probably the least exciting managerial appointment I can think of, but he's an actual manager who appears to have a grasp of basic cognitive functions. That puts him head and shoulders about the mutant Carver.

Edited by Murrr

Burton came to the Abbey yesterday and were crowned league two champions by beating us 3-2 in a thrilling encounter.  We had nothing to play for apart from finishing either 18th or 19th, they scored two absolutely corking goals!  A draw would have been a fairer result as we more than matched them but they didn't want the embarrassment of Cambridge doing the double over them!  Down to ten men as well but cannot begrudge Burton the title.  Jimmy Floyd looked rather dapper in his nice suit.  Stuck around to have a peek at the trophy ha ha!