aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Motherwell dicking on Rangers was absolutely wonderful. I didn't want to say much after the first leg in case I spoke to soon but keeping them out of the top flight for at least another season is fantastic. I really didn't think Motherwell would do it either, after they got past Hibs I thought the fun was over for this season. Hopefully Hibs can beat them to the automatic promotion spot next season. 

I'm pleased for Inverness winning the cup, I think they deserved a cup to show for how well they've grown as a club. I also watched highlights of the FA cup final and the full match of the copa del rey. Both were too one sided to be called great games but at least there were some great goals. With Messi in this form it's hard to see Juve winning at the weekend. 

With the FIFA coverage referencing the 2016 Copa America a lot I forgot that there was one this year too. (why is that btw?) I wasn't really ready for football to completely stop so that should keep things going nicely.

Motherwell dicking on Rangers was absolutely wonderful. I didn't want to say much after the first leg in case I spoke to soon but keeping them out of the top flight for at least another season is fantastic. I really didn't think Motherwell would do it either, after they got past Hibs I thought the fun was over for this season. Hopefully Hibs can beat them to the automatic promotion spot next season. 

I'm pleased for Inverness winning the cup, I think they deserved a cup to show for how well they've grown as a club. I also watched highlights of the FA cup final and the full match of the copa del rey. Both were too one sided to be called great games but at least there were some great goals. With Messi in this form it's hard to see Juve winning at the weekend. 

With the FIFA coverage referencing the 2016 Copa America a lot I forgot that there was one this year too. (why is that btw?) I wasn't really ready for football to completely stop so that should keep things going nicely.

I could be completely wrong but I'm convinced that I heard somewhere (a good few months ago, possibly years) that they wanted to align the European Championships and Copa America. Did they do similar with the AfCON?

McClaren isn't exactly an inspired appointment but a better one than Viera IMO. They need stability, experience and leadership, someone who can build a solid foundation and expand from there. I don't think McClaren will win them anything but he'll keep them up and leave them in better stead than they're in now. I could see Viera coming in and just going fucking mad, trying to put his stamp on everything, start again with his own vision. They need to get this one right though, seems to be a real mess there at the moment.

Edited by Lemonade Sparkle

Vieira would be so much more fun than schteve. He's been working for Man CIty for a good few years now. Didn't he start as an office body at first then get back into coaching? So It's not like he'd be totally green. It'd either be the best season ever or the worst thing to happen to the club though for sure. There's no way a team led by Patrick Vieira would play safe, containing football. 

McClaren isn't exactly an inspired appointment but a better one than Viera IMO. They need stability, experience and leadership, someone who can build a solid foundation and expand from there. I don't think McClaren will win them anything but he'll keep them up and leave them in better stead than they're in now. I could see Viera coming in and just going fucking mad, trying to put his stamp on everything, start again with his own vision. They need to get this one right though, seems to be a real mess there at the moment.

It's just another smarmy English yes-man who's failed at his last three clubs, being assisted by a gibbering troglodyte. I give him a chance and hope he succeeds, like everyone we appoint, but this is a big missed opportunity if it goes ahead.

It's just another smarmy English yes-man who's failed at his last three clubs, being assisted by a gibbering troglodyte. I give him a chance and hope he succeeds, like everyone we appoint, but this is a big missed opportunity if it goes ahead.

Oh yeah I'm not saying by any means he's the perfect man for the job, but between the two I'd have him 9 times out of 10 given where Newcastle are at the moment. Viera is too big a risk IMO.

Oh yeah I'm not saying by any means he's the perfect man for the job, but between the two I'd have him 9 times out of 10 given where Newcastle are at the moment. Viera is too big a risk IMO.

Yeah, as soon as my common sense kicked-in, I wasn't keen on Vieira either.

It's just frustrating. They had Remi Garde (a bright young manager with positive ideas and an actual footballing philosophy) interested in the job in January. He was interviewed, then said "nah," because he wasn't allowed to bring in his own backroom staff, which is absolutely nuts: Carver and our coaching team are a complete goober squad, by all accounts.

They had an excellent opportunity to push the club forward here, but instead it looks like we're destined to many more years of aspiring to nothing more than finishing above 18th, no cup runs, and not qualifying for Europe.

It'd be nice to have hopes and dreams again, you know?

I don't know how they can't attract a bigger name than Steve McClaren. They're an established Premiership team with a loyal support of what 50-60,000? There must be a few European managers out there with a bit of pedigree who would fancy a crack at the Premiership. Ok they're not going to get Jose Mourinho but they could surely set their sights a bit higher than Steve McClaren. Is it a wages thing, lack of ambition, does Ashley just not want to open the chequebook?

I don't know how they can't attract a bigger name than Steve McClaren. They're an established Premiership team with a loyal support of what 50-60,000? There must be a few European managers out there with a bit of pedigree who would fancy a crack at the Premiership. Ok they're not going to get Jose Mourinho but they could surely set their sights a bit higher than Steve McClaren. Is it a wages thing, lack of ambition, does Ashley just not want to open the chequebook?

From the outside looking in (no particular order):

1. Very small budget

2. Awful chairman

3. Overly critical/difficult to please fans

4. Pretty ropey squad

Poisoned chalice

These things are always to do with money. Nothing else. Ashley is only offering a Mclaren wage, so he'll get a Mclaren.

Any time I hear about managers talking about rebuilding squads and how much the fans mean I just groan. It's always a paycheck thing and literally nothing more.

Or am I overly cynical?

• Upvote 1

You're looking at it from the inside, objectivity is a little more difficult I guess.

It's just a lazy generalisation formed mainly by people who's main exposure to Newcastle supporters is the waft of zombies they interview on Sky.

All we wish for is a team to be proud of, nothing more. And I do say that objectively.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Murr on this working in Newcastle everyone just seems to want the team to be doing better than they are, it's kind of where Aberdeen were a few years ago, plodding along not doing anything of note really. Now the fans are happy due to having had a couple of good managers who have restored pride in the team and fans and a clear idea of where to take the team.

Newcastle fans just want a good manager who has a clear vision and is allowed to work on building the team into one that can at least challenge for cups and euro spots. If it takes a few years they won't be disappointed as long as they are playing good football and it looks like they have a sense of direction.

Steve McClaren, winner of the League Cup in 2004. Europa League finalist in 2006.

On the other hand, Steve Gibson said of him after he left "if Steve McClaren told me grass was green I'd go outside to check".

He won the Eridivise as well, with Twente, IIRC? That's pretty big, no-one really considered them contenders.

But now he's a Judas. Boro forever.

I've never thought of Newcastle fans as being overly demanding, critical or demanding. They'll applaud their team off the pitch if they lose 3-0 but gave 100%. Any Newcastle fan would take a team of John beresfords over a team of hatem Ben arfas. The fact their recent flashy (on paper) signings have been mince has probably fanned those sky sports hyperbole flames..