aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

The mass recruitment was because of a mass exodus, because Moyes made no attempt to phase players out, and was too soft to cut ties with those who weren't good enough, and was too indecisive to fill the gaps needing to be filled. Dithering Dave, as the Everton fans referred to him as. It was accurate.

What should have been a standard refresh for Moyes turned into a complete overhaul for Van Gaal. Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Welbeck, Nani, Hernandez, Buttner, Zaha, Fletcher and Anderson have all left since Van Gaal took over. 11 players, and 5 players came in, not counting Falcao as it was a loan, and I thought at the time there was zero chance it would be made permanent, even if he performed.

There'll be more on the chopping block in a couple of weeks. Rafael, Evans, Lindegaard, possibly Van Persie, I think Blackett could go as he's mince, Nani and Hernandez again but permanently this time. Wilson and Januzaj will probably go on loan too. That's 9 players out again. I predict 4 more will brought in, CB, RB, CM and CF, and I'd imagine that would be the end of the overhauls.

Europa League final was great. Best one in recent memory, IMO. Dnipro did well to take the lead and then equalise. Sevilla were just too much for them though. That through ball from Reyes for Sevilla's 2nd goal was great.

I think Spurs and Liverpool should be kicking themselves for not taking it seriously. I think either side could have beaten Sevilla on the night. A major trophy and a path into the CL shouldn't be scoffed at.

Konoplyanka is available for free next month. He looks a really good player. Not often a player of his quality is available for zero pounds. Clubs should be fighting over him.

I didn't even realise this game was on tonight. What a silly bunch of pricks, man. Motherwell have been murder all season: they have zero momentum and a deeply-ingrained losing mentality from a season of shellackings. Rangers, on the other hand, are in excellent form and just dumped Hibs on their arse. This should be a gimme for Rangers, but here they are, losing 3-0. Fucking glorious. They really are the gift that keeps on giving.

I think Spurs and Liverpool should be kicking themselves for not taking it seriously. I think either side could have beaten Sevilla on the night. A major trophy and a path into the CL shouldn't be scoffed.

I think Sevilla are definitely better than both those teams. Liverpool don't look like they could beat anyone at the moment.

I think Sevilla are definitely better than both those teams. Liverpool don't look like they could beat anyone at the moment.

I think that's mostly down to Liverpool running out of belief. They had nothing to play for for a while. The race for top 4 was done long ago, unless United made a calamitous slip up. Even losing 3 in a row, and only winning one of their last 5 didn't trip them up. If Liverpool had something to play for, I believe they would have performed. They were in excellent form between December up until United beat them at Anfield, and that practically sealed the top 4 race. They were done after that.

Sevilla have had a pretty great season and they are a very good side. Dnipro ran them close, and I'd say Liverpool and Spurs are a fair bit better than Dnipro. Either could have matched Sevilla on the night, I reckon. 

I disagree on Liverpool. I think they've performed very much to their level over the course of 38 Premier League games. They've been minging lately, yeah, but this is evened-out over the course of the season.

I just don't think they're a very good football team. Rodgers has qualities I admire, and he's very idealistic, but he has purchased the wrong personnel on a regular basis. Even looking at their forward line, Lambert is a good player but clearly unsuited to what Rodgers expects, Balotelli has been predictably garbage, and that Origi they shunted-out on loan to Lille as a horrific footballer by all accounts (voted into Ligue 1's worst XI this season). Their back three is a revolving door of complete lunatics and their full-backs are average. They've also handled the Sterling situation very poorly, which I'm sure was a big factor in the Stoke shellacking.

I think Sevilla would take them to the cleaners, and if they played each other 10 times, Sevilla would win at least 7 of those games. Rodgers has this nice idea of playing three/four busy little tricksters up-top with the idea that their movement and intelligence will create gaps, but Coutinho and Sterling, for all their positive qualities, are too inconsistent for this. That's the manager's fault and I'm surprised he hasn't done something about it.

• Upvote 1

Patrick Vieira would surely bring the Kevin Keegan brand of football back to Newcastle.

The 2 or 3 times I've seen City's U21s this season, his tactics have been absolute suicide. Both times they played United's U21s, when City were in possession, all 10 outfield players were in United's half. The whole team push right up past the half way line. There's high defensive lines, and there's just utter lunacy. What ended up being the U21 Premier League title decider at Old Trafford ended 4-0. City were the better side in possession, but got torn several new arseholes on the counter. For some reason, Vieira didn't take United's opening goal in the first 5 minutes as a warning to reel it in a bit. If not for ropey finishing, it could have ended 10-0. Vieira just stood on the sidelines shrugging as flat, horizontal passes sliced the defence in half, and pacey forwards had 50 yards of space to run at.

In the end, Vieira's City limped to a 5th place finish in the U21 Premier League, despite having what is arguably the 2nd best crop of youngsters, behind Chelsea. They scored the 2nd most goals in the division, but also conceded the 3rd most goals, because they play absolutely mental football.

I'd pick Steve McClaren over Patrick Vieira, based on what both managers have shown to date. I think Vieira needs to earn his stripes before taking over the senior set up at a big club.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

This is absolutely insane. There's no logic behind it whatsoever. Like, I don't feel like I even have to explain how stupid this whole thing is. 

Still, I'd rather take a shotgun blast to the face than see Carver get the gig, so...

Yeah, I'm delighted with this. I absolutely loathe the Old Firm derby and all the stupid, hateful nonsense that surrounds it. There are undoubtedly "good" Rangers and Celtic fans, but their efforts will never completely transcend the bullshit and make that game entirely about sport and competition, so it's better that we just don't have it at all. Keep those teams as far apart as possible for as long as possible. The league's been infinitely better without Rangers and I can't wait for next season now. Get in the bin and fucking stay there.

I love hating on Rangers, but even being impartial, Moshni needs to get a long long ban for that. That's an out and out assault. What was that fud with the flag playing at as well? Even if he didn't mean to hit McCulloch (which I tend to think he did), leaning over the barrier and hitting with the ball with a flag? Aye.

As for Cammy Bell's "save". Seeing Rangers lose is always a great occasion but seeing them get humiliated as well just makes it that little bit sweeter. They're the gift that keeps on giving.