aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I was looking through the AFC heritage site at previous squads http://www.afcheritage.org/Team/CurrentSquad/index.cfm?Season=2004-05 and I realised I could make a team of Aberdeen players I really disliked so here goes. I should point out that these players are no necessarily the worst but I never took to them in the Red of my team.

GK: Michael Watt - I hated him for being in goal in the season decider at Ibrox in 91 when we only needed a draw to win the league.

RB: Jackie McNamara - He was woeful for us, and is a Celtic man through and through which has become evident with his team selections against them this season and shipping off United's best 2 players to them when they wer e still in with a shout of a trophy. All for a cut of the transfer fee too! Best thing he did in an Aberdeen shirt was keep running at Hampden when he got subbed

LB: David Robertson -  Jumped ship to the now dead club in the summer of 91 after losing the league to them. I hated him for this

CB: Gary Smith - My abiding memory of him is scoring an own goal in extra time of the 92 league cup final against, yup you guessed it, the dead club 

CB: Zander Diamond- Again his constant flaunting of his love of all things Celtic never sat right with me. Also a lanky streak of pish and an absolute tool of a boy.

MR: Ricky Foster - I feel this selection needs no explanation.

MC: Jamie Winter- He makes my team for no other reason than being a horrible excuse for a footballer. Typical signing of the time, a pre Madonna who was only interested in picking up his pay check and a big mac or 5 

MC: Stephen Hughes - His former employers aside, he infuriated me with his sideways passing, slow movement and his blatant couldn't give a fuck attitude to being an Aberdeen player. Another wage thief.

ML: Jeffery De Visscher - The slowest winger I can recall in my time watching professional football. Also featured in the period where Hearts loved putting 4 goals past us which is always hard to take.

FC: Scott Michie - 1 goal in 25 apperances. Also had the mis fortune of meeting him on more than one occasion and like Diamond a horrible individual. Found his level at Loco's

FC:Sone Aluko - Apart from his goal against FC Bayern I disliked everything about him. Lazy, uninterested and showed his true colours when he left Aberdeen.

There we have it. My all time staring 11 I hate.

I'd put Lee Miller in above Sone Aluko. I found him so frustrating at times.  

Loving looking through the old squads. Fern Snoyle min!

I bloody loved Nigel Pepper! We needed dome madness to distract us from the shite football at the time.

Anyone remember Haroldur Ingulfson? He had one impressive half as a trialist and then did nothing ever again once he got a contract.

They got the manager spot on, there can't be any doubt about that. Miller was complete shite, only McGhee comes close.

Another interesting team to make would be a disappointing XI. Players who got your hopes up but then never fulfilled them. Belabed and Hignett are straight into my team.

• Upvote 1

MC: Jamie Winter- He makes my team for no other reason than being a horrible excuse for a footballer. Typical signing of the time, a pre Madonna who was only interested in picking up his pay check and a big mac or 5 

Ha, pretty sure (though not 100%) I was in the year below at the same secondary school as this guy. /cool story.

Well City have just invested enormous amounts of money into that state of the art ELITE DEVELOPMENT complex. Also known as a training ground.

Now they just need one of those fanbase things, which won't happen, because Stockport's just not big enough. Not sure why they're extending the Etihad either, when they didn't even sell out when Barcelona came to town.

Perhaps it's just for the better accoustics when their fans sing their one and only song; "Come on City!"

I hope Klopp doesn't go to City.

Klopp's coming to Newcastle, you dummies. I can't believe nobody has picked-up on this yet...

Nah, we're doomed. Carver will get the job full-time and we'll be relegated. There's a big demonstration planned for Sunday, including a boycott of the game. I'd be encouraged by this, but our support is so full of short-sighted, bumbling goobers that there'll still likely be 40-45k at the game. 40-45k complete and utter fuckboys. I swear, for some of our fans to turn on this regime it'd likely take them coming home from work to find their wife in bed with half the squad, Ashley eating all their food, and Carver putting all their Blu-Ray disks into the wrong boxes.

At least Aberdeen are pretty decent.

What's your take on Pardew possibly being a nominee for the Barclays Manager of the Year? I don't think he'll win it, but I think he's nailed on to be nominated.

I feel that he has had an undeniably huge impact at Crystal Palace. He was fuck-awful for the majority of 2014 at Newcastle, but I believe he deserves a nomination because his team have been very strong since the turn of the year.

I liken it to the season when we finished 5th under him: he has stumbled upon a winning formula and is sticking to it. The style of football is remarkably similar to what he had us playing: get the ball to a very talented frontline as quickly as possible. Plenty long balls, very few short passes. It's hoofball with window dressing in that it's not always aimed at a big lump up front (although Glenn Murray is certainly a "lump" of some sort), but a goal poacher flanked by two busy tricksters. The style is almost identical. At Newcastle, his problems started when he strayed from this formula for no apparent reason and never, ever returned to it. Given the sheer arrogance of the man, I believe that this was because he wanted the team to start playing "his way": reactive, back-foot, overly-cautious football with an over-reliance on individual brilliance and hugely-shackled supporting players. This is a guy who personally requested Jack Colback as a replacement for Cabaye, wanted James Tomkins to replace Coloccini, and wanted to sell Cisse and bring Darren Bent in.

All evidence leads me to believe that this will happen to him at Palace as he tries to "stamp his identity" on the club. The more time he has to bring "his" players in, the worse the club will do. I'll be astonished if he's still doing as well as he is now 12 months from now, but for now, he absolutely deserves a nomination and I wouldn't be surprised if he won it.

His numbers at Palace are certainly impressive.

League table the week before he took the Palace job:

Image%202015-04-14%20at%205.28.14%20pm.p

League table including only games played since Pardew took the Palace job:

Image%202015-04-14%20at%205.28.43%20pm.p

Scored more goals than Chelsea in that time. Bonkers.

Still, I think Koeman will get it. He inherited a team that had been ravaged by Liverpool, and a few others wanted to leave as well, but didn't get chance. Played great football, still in with a shout of top 4. They look set to finish the season with the best defensive record too. They'll probably lose Schneiderlin and Clyne this summer though.

So, Thierry Henry. Are we all in agreement that he has already established himself as the worst pundit of all time? Good.

Total goober. His criticism of Hernandez's celebration last night was unbelievable. I don't know if Sky are trying to turn him into a bit of a caricature, as he was never this bad on the BBC, but he seems like a bit of a crackpot these days.

Hopefully he reinvents himself as a Jerry Lawler-style analyst. Always rooting for the heel, backing the diver and the poor refereeing decisions. That would be great.

So, Thierry Henry. Are we all in agreement that he has already established himself as the worst pundit of all time? Good.

Total goober. His criticism of Hernandez's celebration last night was unbelievable. I don't know if Sky are trying to turn him into a bit of a caricature, as he was never this bad on the BBC, but he seems like a bit of a crackpot these days.

Hopefully he reinvents himself as a Jerry Lawler-style analyst. Always rooting for the heel, backing the diver and the poor refereeing decisions. That would be great.

I love the Jerry Lawler idea.

It's a shame, really. I thought he's always come across as a total dude, but he's more of a zoom-zoom-zoomer than a va-va-voomer nowadays.

'Zoomer' is an insult. That was really fucking forced.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-32427830

Andrea Dossena plays for Leyton Orient?! A bit crazy considering he has ten caps for Italy. Then again, when he played for Liverpool he was pretty mince.

Oh aye, and the shoplifting...

HE PLAYS FOR LEYTON ORIENT?!

Jeezo. He was bad at Liverpool but he's been alright at other big clubs, Leyton Orient is a gigantic step down for him.

Oh aye, and the shoplifting...

Newcastle are apparently looking to appoint Steve McClaren at the end of the season, but he won't leave Derby if they get promoted.

So basically, it all hinges on him failing to get Derby into the Premier League.

Isn't that just the most "Newcastle" thing in the world?

• Upvote 1