aberdeen-music

Broccoli

Paranoid Android

Not a fan of cucumber on its todd but when combined with tuna and put in a sandwich it comes into a league of its own.

Anybody here grow their own veg? Me and the missus have a pretty healthy patch with tatties, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and neeps. I'm sure there's more too!

Cucumber ruins tuna. Ugh.

We, or more accurately my wife, have a few veg in the garden.  Last year we got nothing but this year's been great.  Getting pretty sick of courgettes now!

People don't seriously like cucumber do they? It's just a practical joke for people that like courgettes. Horrible tasting, full of water and they infect every dish they're in with their shitty flavour.

Yes! Cucumber's great.

I love it in sushi, it's great on its own, but combined with the taste of nori, wasabi and soy/sweet chilli, it's becomes this amazing sweet/salty/hot/cool taste sensation.

It's great in gin too. A nice tall glass of Hendricks and tonic with wads of cucumber. Magnificent.

When I was last in the states, they had cucumber soda. It was unbelievable. I drank gallons of it.

It's technically a fruit though, so misses out on my top 5. Would make my list of top 5 foods ever though.

Edited by girl anachronism

I dig cucumber. They don't taste of much, but they are refreshing, and they add a wonderful crunch to sandwiches. Great in salads with lashings of coleslaw or cottage cheese. Or just to be eaten, hand held, like nature's popsicle.

Courgettes are almost the exact opposite. They have a weird tang to their taste, and once in your mouth, they seem to absorb any moisture you may have in there, making it feel like you've just eaten a spoonful of sand. One of my least favourite vegetables.

Cucumbers over here are weird. They're drier inside and so not nearly as refreshing, also the skin is darker and not as smooth. They're shorter too. In fact in one class when the expression "as cool as a cucumber" came up the students couldn't understand at all why you would say cucumber claiming that there are many much cooler vegetables. 

There's one supermarket which sells good proper cucumbers as well as the shitey ones and they're labeled as dutch cucumbers for some reason.

I'm familiar with the tiny cucumbers as well. TBH, I am assuming that's what a cucumber actually looks like and that the typical UK cucumber has been GM/selectively bred to be huge (and that for every big fat juicy one that makes it onto supermarket shelves there're god knows many undersized ones thrown away). Same with bananas.

Edited by scottyboy

Cucumbers over here are weird. They're drier inside and so not nearly as refreshing, also the skin is darker and not as smooth. They're shorter too. In fact in one class when the expression "as cool as a cucumber" came up the students couldn't understand at all why you would say cucumber claiming that there are many much cooler vegetables. 

There's one supermarket which sells good proper cucumbers as well as the shitey ones and they're labeled as dutch cucumbers for some reason.

Same here. They're like a fat pickle and all nobbly. Nowhere near the vaccum-sealed 14-inch wart-less wonders back home. They may be genetically modified mutants but they're bloody marvelous. Nothing beats that feeling of gently pulling back the plastic sheath and weilding a cheese slicer in one hand and a massive cuke in the other in all it's magnificent tumescence.