aberdeen-music

D-Range

Ashdown bass amp has been removed as the tweeter is faulty so only the Peavey bass amp is available but all amps will be upgraded in the near future.

We can offer tea, coffee's and water and are looking in adding fizzy drinks, micro meals and cup a soups etc.

The base rate for recording we are looking at is 20-25 pounds an hour but there will be deals offered for long sessions but those are rough pricings until the control room is closer to being ready.

Now that recording rate. That's good news. That's damn cheap. Would that be tracked recording? Would there be a cheaper deal for live recording?

I think Tom's is 30 an hour for tracked but you get a night of live recording for 60 or 80 quid.

It is worth a punt. But I'm only in a 3 piece so 3 hours, at the current deal, would be the same as 3 hours at toms per person. Which is no bad.

Is there footswitches for the guitar amps?

That sounds incredible.

I was amazing actually.  We had an great practice which to us is extrmely important as we don't get together that frequently.  There is nothing worse than spending half of your time wrestling with the room.  We were all loud enough for our own satisfaction and never once did it feel the blend in the room was skewed too much towards one insturment.  Also, to get the room recording all you needed was to buy a CD or bring one with you.

You could drive down and back, practice for 6 hours and still have change for a pint or two compared with the hourly rates of the places in Aberdeen.  I know you get discount for booking longer sessions but it's not that much of an exaggeration. 

To be honest toms gear is just as good as this place so id rather go to toms and save me a fiver an hour. Im sure the people are just as friendly and that but pricing is a big issue. Your recording prices are great but really depends on the quality as if toms had better quality recording i think most people would pay for quality. I say give it a re think and come back to it. What about an ab music discount?

Yeah, but 6 hours practise plus 4-5 hours driving adds up to a MUCH longer day than just nipping to toms. Even if it's not as expensive I'd happily pay for the convenience. Then again, I have a pretty cushy day job which means I can afford to do that.

I'll look to give the new place a try sometime, probably when we need a last-minute slot and Tom's is full. It'll be nice to have an alternative, but I really like Tom's. I like the gear, I like the space and I like the people. Only downside is that cost does add up, but that's just Aberdeen for you. That actually ties back to what I've said time and again, I don't understand why anyone would stay in Aberdeen unless they were directly benefitting from the Oil industry up here because everything from property to practise spaces are a fuckload more expensive than most other cities in the UK!

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

Yeah, but 6 hours practise plus 4-5 hours driving adds up to a MUCH longer day than just nipping to toms. Even if it's not as expensive I'd happily pay for the convenience. Then again, I have a pretty cushy day job which means I can afford to do that.

I'll look to give the new place a try sometime, probably when we need a last-minute slot and Tom's is full. It'll be nice to have an alternative, but I really like Tom's. I like the gear, I like the space and I like the people. Only downside is that cost does add up, but that's just Aberdeen for you. That actually ties back to what I've said time and again, I don't understand why anyone would stay in Aberdeen unless they were directly benefitting from the Oil industry up here because everything from property to practise spaces are a fuckload more expensive than most other cities in the UK!

xx

Because its home. 

• Upvote 2

We all live in different places so some or all of us have to travel at some point so it might as well be where it's cheapest to practice with the best gear.  I actually met a fellow Aberdonian there whos band did the same as us.  I managed to tie in going to a cool gig the night before so double win.

Good luck to the guys opening this studio space though.  It's a tough crowd to please!

xx

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter if you understand or not, but I'll bite.  Aberdeen is a compact city with plenty stuff to do, a beach, the countryside is a stone's throw away.  We manage to scratch out a reasonable living in non-oil jobs and I'm in two bands, run a car, own a flat and have hobbies and a social life.  A lot of my extended family live around Aberdeen.  It's home and I enjoy my life here.

• Upvote 3

It's simple really I would think. If u don't want to pay that price don't go simple. But as mentioned above, its not like there is a lack of money in Aberdeen. 20 quid for some people is pennies to others. Fuck I'm from cheap as chips south Wales, live here, don't work in oil and understand i can't get the hell out of here cos my salary goes straight away on rent as flat prices are crazy so no chance of saving. 1 bed flat here is more expensive than a 5 bed house in my town. Yet, the wife runs dance classes and can charge whatever she wants cos if there is one thing I have learned being here is plenty of people have disposable income. If u can't afford it don't go, if u can then why not.

Edited by Steviepearce

Yes Joss but you're 14, I couldn't afford it when I was 14 either but my point is while people are arguing about the price other people are thinking yeah I will try that seems a good deal to me to be in a fresh clean space alone to work. Never said u had to work in oil to have money but it certainly does help. Maybe it will be a business that draws different clientele so what's wrong with that. Its like having a sports bar with pies or a 4 star Michelin restaurant. Both get used but by people who want to.

I think it is a positive thing but SteviePearce you can't expect people to not comment on a post on a forum that tries to drum up business. Yes people will use it or not but I can't see a problem with people discussing it and hopefully helping these new guys with their business venture. No one is being critical for the sake of it.