aberdeen-music

why do bands from Aberdeen fail ?

maud 'dib

a propos de rien (except the last post)... I met a nice psych-folk loving couple here in new york who when they learned I was from scotland their first question was. Do you know 'The Kitchen Cynics'? I think that qualifies as 'made it'

Think the Americans get hoodwinked by the 'Let's Go' travel guidebooks, which has this bizarre paragraph on page 495...

'In the 1970s and 80s, Scotland has played a significant role in the development of popular music, launching The Rezillos, The Skids, Average White Band, Glasgow's Orange Juice, Edinburgh's Josef K, and the record label Postcard, which favored Byrdsy guitar chimes and winsome coy-boy singers.  Although mainstream rock claimed popularity during the early 90s, producing groups like The Wake, The Proclaimers and Aberdeen's Kitchen Cynics, Scottish punk rages once again. Slampt and Vesuvius record labels promote Scottish bands, including the suggestively named Yummy Fur and Lung Leg, while the quiet folk-rock of Belle and Sebastian wails throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow.'

Let's maistream rawwwwwwk, guys!  Bagsy the red snapper!

• Upvote 3

Somebody actually paid for a Sidca download and I got ALL emotional. 

I'm sorry. Sidca better not be splitting up.

Plenty of bands from around here seem to do alright. Certainly not Nickleback-esque levels of fame mind you but there's plenty of folk making a name for themselves. Idlewilds drummer is from Macduff for instance.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

i'm watching the stream on you tube for steve Bruce on you tube. it's pretty much explained there. There is deffo an explanation. fond memories of steve drinkin whisky and smookin weed outside drummonds. great guy, but aberdeen shit city for bands.

XX

steamin'

Edited by maud 'dib
  • Downvote 4

i'm watching the stream on you tube for steve Bruce on you tube. it's pretty much explained there. There is deffo an explanation. fond memories of steve drinkin whisky and smookin weed outside drummonds. great guy, but aberdeen shit city for bands.

XX

steamin'

That's the spirit!

I'm sure that the live stream (dry sound straight off the PA) over Youtube really did the experience of being in the Lemon Tree last night justice.

Everyone that I spoke to really enjoyed it and it reminded all of us of what Aberdeen gigs can be like, certainly what they used to be like.  Loads of bands, all completely different, on one bill and having a great time. 

500 people packed into a sold-out Lemon Tree to remember Steve - the atmosphere was incredible but you want to take a massive dump on it based on what you saw on a live stream? You are the reason aberdeen bands fail.

Cool story about standing outside Drummonds one time btw; touching stuff.

• Upvote 8