aberdeen-music

Hypothetical Questions

ca_gere

I'm gonna start using this thread for 'hypothetical quick questions'

One I saw the other day: would you rather master all the instruments in the world or all the languages in the world?

It's a tough one but I would say instruments. On the one hand you could communicate with anyone in the world but you would only be a regular person in the crowd when speaking a language. The fact you can travel across borders and know what everyone is saying does sound fantastic but you can't talk multiple languages at the same time - it's only a really great skill when u swap from one to the other.

Mastering all instruments would transcend language barriers and be universally awesome.

I'm gonna start using this thread for 'hypothetical quick questions'

One I saw the other day: would you rather master all the instruments in the world or all the languages in the world?

It's a tough one but I would say instruments. On the one hand you could communicate with anyone in the world but you would only be a regular person in the crowd when speaking a language. The fact you can travel across borders and know what everyone is saying does sound fantastic but you can't talk multiple languages at the same time - it's only a really great skill when u swap from one to the other.

Mastering all instruments would transcend language barriers and be universally awesome.

How many instruments can one (realistically and proficiently) play at the same time?  Without looking like one of those ridiculous (though undoubtedly talented) one-person-band affairs with cymbals between your knees and all that jazz?

Changeover is quicker with languages.  You can speak long after the arthritis has robbed you of your ability to play instruments.  Languages only take up room in your head.

Also I'd much rather be called a polyglot than a "fucking showoff" ;)

How many instruments can one (realistically and proficiently) play at the same time?  Without looking like one of those ridiculous (though undoubtedly talented) one-person-band affairs with cymbals between your knees and all that jazz?

Changeover is quicker with languages.  You can speak long after the arthritis has robbed you of your ability to play instruments.  Languages only take up room in your head.

Also I'd much rather be called a polyglot than a "fucking showoff" ;)

Actually you've just changed my mind. I want to be the best one man band ever. Even better than Dick

tumblr_me7w2hEuFg1r8vo7wo1_500.jpg

• Upvote 2

Would you rather be a virtuoso on one instrument, or be reasonable on fuckloads/all instruments? Note - if you choose being adequate on all the instruments, you can't claim you'd practise lots and become a virtuoso in one of them, too. Being mildly good as the best you'll ever be.

And to answer the question, I'd rather know the languages. If I wanted to learn more instruments, I'd enjoy the challenge of learning. Languages, I fucking hate learning. I just want to know them.

xx

If you master guitarring or bassing you're pretty much forced into unlistenable Technical Metalz or Widdly Jazz - so fuck that.

Apologies to people that like Technical Metalz and Widdly Jazz - but it's just not as much fun as bashing out a tune. Plus you have to look really serious all the time.

• Upvote 1

My first thought was languages definitely but the more I thought about it, the more appealing instruments seemed. To me, the thought of being able to pick up any instrument and be able to play any style as well as the top performer on that instrument would just about outweigh the advantage of just being able to communicate in any language. You could join any band, make any music you want, perform anywhere. On a personal level and a day-to-day level (i.e. remove the notion of performance from the equation) then languages would pip it. Sitting in my room playing all the instruments in the world would be less satisfying than walking around for a day and speaking to anyone you meet in their native language.

I'm torn now. It's a good question.

Here's another one: If you were thrown into a professional sporting environment (could be anything from coming on as a sub for the last 5 mins of a division 3 game, to an at-bat for the Yankees, to a frame of snooker at the crucible) how would you get on?

In other words, would there be any instances where you think you would do ok, or you think you'd be great or the opposite where you would fail miserably?

I like to think I would be able to kick an easy conversion in Rugby. Then again, in front of thousands of screaming fans I'd probably brick it and sklaff it wide.

I think at my age and physical form I'd be looking at 30 seconds of injury time in a conference game. Anything more I'd look terribly out of place.

I can barely run for 30 seconds without getting out of breath so I can't see myself doing too well at something like that. I always fancied myself as a bit of a demon racing driver though. I reckon given the chance to compete a race in something like the

or the Renault Clio Cup I could at least finish second-last. 

293735_10150918012585382_352890743_n.jpg