aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

The thing with Liverpool fans is they are fucking morons. They thought they could get Mourinho to replace King Kenny. They think that because Liverpool is a big club (and they still count them as one of the "Big 4") they should be getting a world beating manager. And by that, I don't mean a guy like Rodgers who has done brilliantly at a club like Swansea. I mean a guy like Mourinho who has won trophies. BIG trophies like the Champions League.

If Rodgers doesn't have an instant impact at Liverpool the fans will be on his back saying he isn't good enough to manage a BIG club like Liverpool etc etc. Short sightedness. And why would you want to manage a bunch of racists anyway?

To be fair though if Rodgers has an impact there his stock will fairly rise. They are a difficult bunch to please as Hodgson found out but if he brings success and good performances then the fans will love him for it. I like Rodgers, he seems a down to earth manager and Swansea played some outstanding football last season and this is a guy who will want to prove himself and Liverpool will give him the opportunity to do that. Personally I reckon it is a job for a more experienced manager but it would be a difficult one for him to turn down.

Guest Gladstone
To be fair though if Rodgers has an impact there his stock will fairly rise. They are a difficult bunch to please as Hodgson found out but if he brings success and good performances then the fans will love him for it. I like Rodgers, he seems a down to earth manager and Swansea played some outstanding football last season and this is a guy who will want to prove himself and Liverpool will give him the opportunity to do that. Personally I reckon it is a job for a more experienced manager but it would be a difficult one for him to turn down.

Pressure is a funny thing though. There was no pressure at Swansea to really achieve anything. Most people expected them to go down which loosens the shackles a bit. At Liverpool there will be pressure on to deliver results straight away. That can result in more cautious approach and perhaps not playing as attractive football and then not delivering the good results. A bit of a vicious circle.

Not saying that will happen but it's definitely the sort of thing that could happen when the step up has been made.

Rodgers is a good manager, but he's very stubborn, and short, fast football doesn't always work. He tried to apply that style at Reading and it was awful. Swansea actually have very technically gifted players. Liverpool really lack good ball-playing footballers. It will be interesting if he overhauls the team, changes his philosophy, or a compromise of both.

I don't think all Liverpool fans are pleased with this appointment. The lunatics on RAWK are annoyed that he doesn't have European pedigree. Liverpool are the biggest brand in the world, don't you know. Bigger than the New York Yankees and Burger King combined. I think they were expecting someone much more prolific, like Pele, or Jesus. From the few forums I read, I haven't read a single Liverpool actually come out and say they are pleased with him taking over. They all seemed to want Mourinho, Guardiola or someone ridiculous. They'll probably start chanting for Rafa Benitez, like they did Dalglish

Some seriously good players being released for free:

Arsenal: Manuel Almunia

Aston Villa: Carlos Cuellar, Emile Heskey

Blackburn: Miguel Salgado

Bolton: Juusi Jaaskelainen, Zat Knight, Paul Robinson, Gretar Steinsson

Chelsea: Jose Bosingwa, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou

Everton: James McFadden

Fulham: Danny Murphy, Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak

Liverpool: Fabio Aurelio

Manchester City: Owen Hargeaves

Manchester United: Tomasz Kuszczak, Michael Owen

Newcastle: Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith

Norwich: Zak Whitbread, Aaron Wilbrahim

QPR: Danny Gabbidon, Fitz Hall

Stoke: Salif Diao, Ricardo Fuller

Sunderland: Craig Gordon

Swansea: Ferrie Bodde

Tottenham: Ledley King, Ryan Nelsen, Louis Saha

WBA: Keith Andrews, Paul Scharner, Somen Tchoyi

Wigan: Mohamed Diame, Chris Kirkland, Hugo Rodallega

Wolves: Jody Craddock

Some seriously good players being released for free:

Arsenal: Manuel Almunia

Aston Villa: Carlos Cuellar, Emile Heskey

Blackburn: Miguel Salgado

Bolton: Juusi Jaaskelainen, Zat Knight, Paul Robinson, Gretar Steinsson

Chelsea: Jose Bosingwa, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou

Everton: James McFadden

Fulham: Danny Murphy, Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak

Liverpool: Fabio Aurelio

Manchester City: Owen Hargeaves

Manchester United: Tomasz Kuszczak, Michael Owen

Newcastle: Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith

Norwich: Zak Whitbread, Aaron Wilbrahim

QPR: Danny Gabbidon, Fitz Hall

Stoke: Salif Diao, Ricardo Fuller

Sunderland: Craig Gordon

Swansea: Ferrie Bodde

Tottenham: Ledley King, Ryan Nelsen, Louis Saha

WBA: Keith Andrews, Paul Scharner, Somen Tchoyi

Wigan: Mohamed Diame, Chris Kirkland, Hugo Rodallega

Wolves: Jody Craddock

and some seriously shit ones as well... Emile Heskey ha ha ha go to the championship, directly to the championship!

Fulham are mad. That means this year they have sold Zamora and released Johnson and Pogrebnyak. Way to get rid of all your first team strikers. That leaves them with Dempsey to get all the goals and looks like quite a few clubs are after his signature.

When I was a kid I had a very primitive management game for the Spectrum called Football Director. You always had to start with a Division 3 team and try to build them up (it had no save function however so you never really got through more than 1 season). I always used to pick Fulham. I've had a love affair with them ever since.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Meh, Russian, Lithunaian, Latvian, whatever, they're all Polish when they're over here taking our jobs.

Says the UK citizen working in Ireland.

• Upvote 1

That's Ralf Rangnick confirmed as manager of WBA. That's a really good appointment, and a much more ambitious one than Liverpool appointing Rodgers I reckon. Can't wait to see how he does. He did good to get Schalke to the Champions League semis. His double promotion with Hoffenheim was extraordinary too. If they hadn't have been destroyed with injuries in that promotion season, they could have put in a decent title tilt. I believe they were top of the league at Christmas, with something ridiculous like 40 goals in 17 games. Finished 9th in the end since the whole team seemed to fall apart with injuries. Still, not bad at all from a newly promoted side. Good manager. Surprised Liverpool didn't go in for him at all actually.